PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

yaaah_hoo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opera Mini 4.2 Release today

http://gizmodo.com/5082787/opera-min...azzy-new-skins
Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Opera Mini 4.2 Release today

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaah_hoo View Post
Nice find! Does this work as well as Opera on the Pro? I could use a new skin right now...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

klemvore is a n00b

Yeah the Opera for the pro is kinda custom... plus it's licensed where as mini opera last I checked you have to pay for so unless the license allows the upgrade I will prob stick with what I got.

If you do the upgrade and your license is wiped I am semi curious how we would get the license back.... or ths custom opera... never thought about that.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

yaaah_hoo is just getting started

The article said it was free. But when I went to http://mini.opera.com/beta/ it said my phone could not be detected. There's a link to download it but it errors out with " There is no application associated with "mini" ... I will try to download it with pie and see what happen.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Opera MINI is a java applet for standard (read:dumb) phones with Java support. For example, a Moto Razr, LG Fusic, standard Samsung flip, etc. It actually does a bang up job, compressing pages on their server and then sending a compressed image of a full web experience so that standard devices can appear to browse the REAL web. Especially devices you wouldn't think capable of it.

Opera Mobile is a native PDA web browser that gives you a "real" desktop web expereince (read:not server-side compressed, but actual live dynamic data). This is up to version 9.x already, and the Windows Mobile version of this software is what comes with the Diamond and TPro.

Opera MINI is only on its 4th version at the moment, and was not designed with PDA phones in mind. It WILL work on PDA devices if you have a Java runtime environment to emulate the simpler phone's Java sandbox (like esmertec Jbed- Sprint might include this free with your phone), and it IS faster because of the server side compression, but it has its shortcomings since it is not native to Windows OS (no cut and paste, dynamic content won't work, no integration with the rest of the system, etc).

Personally, I use Opera Mini to look up quick things since it loads faster, and Opera Mobile for real web experiences with dhtml and ajax content, and even plain ol' IE for some efficient mobile-formatted pages (logmein.com, gmail, flight trackers, etc).

Hope this helps explain some things...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

I just downloaded the file through internet explorer but don't have the java client because titan is expired. anyone know where the newest java esmertec or whatever they call it now is.

Also will this display correctly once installed seeing our phones are vga
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjday7 View Post
I just downloaded the file through internet explorer but don't have the java client because titan is expired. anyone know where the newest java esmertec or whatever they call it now is.

Also will this display correctly once installed seeing our phones are vga
Here you go.

Thanks T M Z

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44188#2
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I was going to move this to the software section, but there seems to be a thread there already so just use that one:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44306

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro