PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

thesfactor is keeping up the good workthesfactor is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Contact Names

When I enter a new contact in the phonebook with their First Name and Last Name, there's an option that says "File as" and it doesn't give you too many choices to customize according to your wish. What if my friends name was "Joe Wachowski" but I wanted him to appear in my phonebook as "Joe the plumber"...Does winmo not even let me do something basic like this?? Please help...
Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff
Re: Contact Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesfactor View Post
When I enter a new contact in the phonebook with their First Name and Last Name, there's an option that says "File as" and it doesn't give you too many choices to customize according to your wish. What if my friends name was "Joe Wachowski" but I wanted him to appear in my phonebook as "Joe the plumber"...Does winmo not even let me do something basic like this?? Please help...
Do you connect your phone through Active Sync? The way I do it is, I set it up on my PC, so that it will just overwrite. In Outlook, it lets me specify a "File As" and actually does show up wih whatever I specify. That's the only way I know how to do it.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

No I don't connect it to the computer at all, I was talking about adding new contacts through the phone itself. When I try to hit "File As" it only gives me a drop down box with a few set options. That's pretty lame IMO. Maybe I'm doing this wrong...
Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eptd is just getting started

Can't you just put in "Joe" for the first name and then "the plumber" for the last? Then file first name first?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
No I don't connect it to the computer at all, I was talking about adding new contacts through the phone itself. When I try to hit "File As" it only gives me a drop down box with a few set options. That's pretty lame IMO. Maybe I'm doing this wrong...
I understand what you were saying, I was just explaining that way I do it hoping that it would be a solution for you...but since you don't connect to your computer at all, why not just enter the name that you want displayed and leave it at that.

I do agree that the drop down is lame. When I tried it to see what you were talking about, it messed up one of my contacts so I had to re-do it on my computer...LOL.

Well, not sure if there are any other work arounds. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Out of curiosity, if you don't connect to the computer at all, why did you decide to get a Pocket PC phone?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the post, I meant I don't connect it to the computer to add contacts, coz I don't think the phone should require me to connect it to the computer to do something as easy as adding a new contact. Quick reasons I can come up with are...
1) This is my first winmo phone, I used to own a symbian 3 years ago and loved it, used it on the computer all the time.
2) My computer is ancient, had it since 2001 , connecting the touch pro to that thing would make it hella slow.
3) I've only had it for 2 days so far and will mess around with it more in time...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Thanks for the post, I meant I don't connect it to the computer to add contacts, coz I don't think the phone should require me to connect it to the computer to do something as easy as adding a new contact. Quick reasons I can come up with are...
1) This is my first winmo phone, I used to own a symbian 3 years ago and loved it, used it on the computer all the time.
2) My computer is ancient, had it since 2001 , connecting the touch pro to that thing would make it hella slow.
3) I've only had it for 2 days so far and will mess around with it more in time...
Ah, I see. Makes more sense now. I definitely agree with the Contacts thing. I've never added a contact through the phone since moving over to Win-Mo device (mogul was my first), but I'll tell you...it makes it 10X's easier because all I have to do when I want to add a "new" contact is type it up (much faster on the computer), sync my device and it adds it faster than I'd be able to do it on the phone.

As long as you have Outlook on your computer, shouldn't slow it down all that much by syncing up. Once you sync it up once, you won't really need to sync it up that often (except when you have updates).

Since it's your first Win-Mo phone and you've only had it for 2 days, give yourself some time to learn all the little nuances. Took me about 1 month to really be comfortable with the phone and start getting to "customizing." That's probably the only reason i was happy to have had purchased the mogul first. Other than that (even though I really liked the mogul a lot), the Touch Pro absolutely blows it out of the water IMO.

Well, hopefully someone can come up with a solution/hack for what you were asking.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch

TheAList is a n00b

All of my contacts are displayed with their last names first. Is there anyway(Besides manually doing each one) that I can change all of that? I sync using missing sync on a mac. I am not using Outlook.

Also, I can't seem to add a few contacts to my "people" (aka favorite contacts section) on the phone. It crashes when I select two specific people. It gives me some kind of manila.exe error. I can add other to the "people" section but not these two, who irionically are my two most frequently called numbers. Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

MaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good workMaryGladys is keeping up the good work

Yeah, I relate about adding contacts via the phone. This version of Pocket Outlook for managing contacts is stripped down, so you don't get an option of editing the File As field.....

Like DRXAppeal, I just sync it with my Outlook on my computer.....then I have my contacts in 2 places in the advent that something happens to my phone.

As cursory look on the internet, this free app is supposed to tweak up Pocket Outlook.....You can try this for a fix .

http://ppcquicksoft.iespana.es/ppcquicksoft/quickcontacts.html

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro