PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint

cssmostdumbest is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone tryed removing the chrome from tp cdma?

Has anyone tryed it, i know the phone has only been out for like a week or 3days however you look at it, i'm not really into chrome and rather it be black, and i kinda chipped the front right side of mine (kind of an eyesore) and im considering just stripping all the chrome. have any efficient ways of taking it off? maybe from past experiences with old phones or plastic devices?

Last edited by cssmostdumbest; 11-05-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: anyone tryed removing the chrome from tp cdma?

The chrome isn't plastic, it's metal and chroming is a fused process, not painted. Theres no way to take it off in an efficient way without seriously damaging the phone. If you liked black better, then you shoulda got the diamond instead....I have one i will sell ya!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch PRO
Threadstarter

cssmostdumbest is a n00b

the chrome on the phone is definitely plastic chrome, which is a sprayed on like paint, the fusing process your speaking of is for metal like rims, if it was fused to the plastic it would have chipped as easy as it did on mine
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssmostdumbest View Post
the chrome on the phone is definitely plastic chrome, which is a sprayed on like paint, the fusing process your speaking of is for metal like rims, if it was fused to the plastic it would have chipped as easy as it did on mine
+1 sure dont feel real to me. i also dont think getting a diamond is a good idea. why not get a case for the pro?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eptd is just getting started

yeah, if it was real chrome it would be a lot heavier too.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

It would also get a lot colder/hotter than it does. It's pretty obvious by mere touch that it's plastic.

Honestly, at this early stage I don't think anyone's willing to mod these things. Most are at least waiting until their return policies are up. Hate to mod it and have something break the next day and have a much harder time getting it replaced.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

The only real way of making it look good is by taking top half of the phone completely apart and separating the chromed plastic from the LCD and bottom pad. That would require some work. I've taken a lot of phone apart (flip phones, treos, mogul) but the TP just by the looks of it, isn't going to be easy. You can then sand and paint the chrome bezel. Then you have to put it back together.

The cheaper/faster way would be to mask the LCD and bottom pad. Unless you have some experience in this then you will not get a good result.

If the chip is that obvious (I'm assuming its a darker plastic under), you can buy a metallic chrome spray paint, spray some paint in a small container and use a tiny brush and paint over the scratch. It won't look exact but atleast it will conseal the off color.

Last edited by aznmode; 11-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You guys are right, it is plastic....it's always so cold in my house so it's cold to me...lol...but anywho, plastic or metal, you aint gettin it off without damaging it.

Go buy some chrome striping at Auto zone....that'll fix it!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

0wolfe is a n00b

heh.......
Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Phreddo is becoming a great contributor

plastic? i thought it was metal.
thought i heard someone on here dropped and dented his?

nope, definitely seems to be plastic.
guess i'd better be more careful with it.

that means that eventually the chrome will rub off like it did on the camera part of my mogul

grr

Last edited by Phreddo; 11-05-2008 at 05:28 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro