PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Best way to apply screen protector (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43371)

mxl180 11-06-2008 01:12 AM

Best way to apply screen protector

Correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't seen anyone mentioned this and since not many phones comes with a screen protector.

Apply some water on the protector before placing it on the phone. Water will allow easy placement and zero bubbles.

banzaiwolfe 11-06-2008 02:04 AM

Re: Best way to apply screen protector

Someone suggested applying it in a steamy room, that worked for me.

deviant.ones 11-06-2008 02:09 AM

I tried numerous ways to apply the stock protector on 3 diff TP's and I gave up, used a modified 6800 InvisibleShield protector from my old mogul, works great.

subiegsr 11-06-2008 02:15 AM

I like the way bodyguardz.com does it. I watch two of my friends put them on their iphones. The screen protectors comes with an application spray, which is diluted with water and baby shampoo. This will allow you to move the screen protector around while its still wet for the perfect fit. Seems to work well and none of them have bubbles. Hopefully they're make some for the tp soon!

porcaccio 11-06-2008 06:02 AM

Actually the way that worked for me, after trying to do it the regular way three times...

I washed the thing in soap and water, then applied it while still fairly wet with the soapy solution. I pushed out as much water as possible, but still had a few small bubbles where the water hadn't dried yet. Took two days for the moisture to go away completely, but I have no bubbles under the screen protector now. I've used bodyguardz before, so I pretty much followed the same system as I had with that product, but used the supplied screen protector.

subiegsr 11-06-2008 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porcaccio (Post 500417)
Actually the way that worked for me, after trying to do it the regular way three times...

I washed the thing in soap and water, then applied it while still fairly wet with the soapy solution. I pushed out as much water as possible, but still had a few small bubbles where the water hadn't dried yet. Took two days for the moisture to go away completely, but I have no bubbles under the screen protector now. I've used bodyguardz before, so I pretty much followed the same system as I had with that product, but used the supplied screen protector.

nice, what did you use to pushed the water out?

sn0b0ard 11-06-2008 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First off, start from the top of the phone and apply it to the bottom. Start from the top end of the screen protector sheet (the end with the speaker cutout) with the top of your Touch Pro screen. Carefully pry one of the edges up and evenly pull a quarter of an inch of screen protector film from the sheet. Carefully apply the sticky side of screen protector film to the top quarter inch of the phone, making sure that any sides are not overlapping. Use a downward-slightly forward motion with the screen protector sheet. This will force the screen protector film onto the Touch Pro screen, and will minimize, if not eliminate the risk of bubbles. Continue this motion until you have the screen protector applied to the phone. It's kind of hard to explain, so I made a diagram attachment.

Lukas718 11-06-2008 10:12 AM

I did fallowing twice on two different TPs and they look perfect - no dust or air bubbles

here's how I did it

I went to bathroom and let the hot water run until my mirror steamed up
then I went in and pulled of factory screen protector from my TPs

I made sure the screen was clean

then I started to apply new screen protector - I did it from the bottom of my TP - I tried from the top but always at the end came out uneven.

When applying make sure u move slowly and make sure you're even on both sides

Cicatrize 11-06-2008 10:17 AM

You shouldn't be getting bubbles when applying a static protector of this size. I only got a bubble once when a piece of fuzz got in between the protector and the screen when re-applying it. Other than that, it's always been a smooth placement.

jason25 11-06-2008 10:25 AM

I do it the steamy bathroom way. Shut the door in your bathroom and run a hot shower or I just run the hot water in the sink while I am wiping the screen clean with a microfiber cloth. I leave the water on until I am done. I start up by the speaker because there isn't as much tolerance around that.

STILLSPRINTIN 11-06-2008 10:34 AM

Wouldn't applying a wet screen or steam from the sink cause the water strip to change colors? Also will a microfiber cloth placed on the sticky side cause the litter strands to lift off?

jason25 11-06-2008 10:43 AM

I think they need to be submersed to change colors. I only clean the screen with the microfiber cloth since the protector should already be clean.

In The Office 11-06-2008 11:15 AM

I have actually had great success by literally dipping my pro first into a bowl of cleaning solution (commercial grade is probably best) then vigorously washing off all the solution by submerging the pro under a fully open faucet.

This seems to temper the screen and soften it up in a way which allows the screen protector to more readily adhere to the glass surface.

I then place the pro into my freezer in order to allow any random drops of water to freeze so that I may then crack them off before I enter the final,and most important, facet of the protector placement.

In the final phase, I heat up the screen - and just the screen; it is CRUCIAL that you avoid the D-pad - with an acetylene torch. This must be done with some care; too heavy a hand will cause charring to the screen and that ought to be avoided. Once the pro screen is heated up just the right amount, you should very quickly peel off the back of the protector, and just slap the damned thing onto the phone. (BTW, I have had pretty good success with the slapping part by doing it while blindfolded.) Once you slap it on, just move it into place, being careful not to burn your fingers, as the screen may still be hot from your use of the torch.

That's the way I do it, although I admit it's a shortcut, and you might want to use more care than I've set forth here.

Good luck.

jason25 11-06-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Office (Post 500662)
I have actually had great success by literally dipping my pro first into a bowl of cleaning solution (commercial grade is probably best) then vigorously washing off all the solution by submerging the pro under a fully open faucet.

This seems to temper the screen and soften it up in a way which allows the screen protector to more readily adhere to the glass surface.

I then place the pro into my freezer in order to allow any random drops of water to freeze so that I may then crack them off before I enter the final,and most important, facet of the protector placement.

In the final phase, I heat up the screen - and just the screen; it is CRUCIAL that you avoid the D-pad - with an acetylene torch. This must be done with some care; too heavy a hand will cause charring to the screen and that ought to be avoided. Once the pro screen is heated up just the right amount, you should very quickly peel off the back of the protector, and just slap the damned thing onto the phone. (BTW, I have had pretty good success with the slapping part by doing it while blindfolded.) Once you slap it on, just move it into place, being careful not to burn your fingers, as the screen may still be hot from your use of the torch.

That's the way I do it, although I admit it's a shortcut, and you might want to use more care than I've set forth here.

Good luck.

that was the method I used to use, but I lost some functionality afterwords :scratch:

pvelliqtc 11-06-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Good luck.

This is the best step-by-step method I've heard!! I think I'll roll with this one!!

whurst630 11-06-2008 12:37 PM

I just my my Touch Pro and I did not see a screen protector packaged in the box. Do they come with a screen protector from the factory?

pyroz 11-06-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whurst630 (Post 500942)
I just my my Touch Pro and I did not see a screen protector packaged in the box. Do they come with a screen protector from the factory?

its in the bag with the manual.

tsperez 11-06-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Good luck.

This is pretty much what I do but before applying the protector on the screen I run the phone through a planer (the kind used to even heads and engine blocks) so as to have it as flat as possible. I then use a plunge router to take about 0.05 mm off the molding around the face of the screen to give me that little extra room to play around with. Then, using two laser levels, I simply drop on the protector and use a hydraulic press to squeeze any water/air out of it.

Works for me.
tsp
PS: I would take photos but my phone is in for service.

Baffles 11-06-2008 12:55 PM

Haha, you guys are too much. :D

peejayek 11-06-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0b0ard (Post 500478)
First off, start from the top of the phone and apply it to the bottom. Start from the top end of the screen protector sheet (the end with the speaker cutout) with the top of your Touch Pro screen. Carefully pry one of the edges up and evenly pull a quarter of an inch of screen protector film from the sheet. Carefully apply the sticky side of screen protector film to the top quarter inch of the phone, making sure that any sides are not overlapping. Use a downward-slightly forward motion with the screen protector sheet. This will force the screen protector film onto the Touch Pro screen, and will minimize, if not eliminate the risk of bubbles. Continue this motion until you have the screen protector applied to the phone. It's kind of hard to explain, so I made a diagram attachment.

actually, im a sales rep at sprint and put a million of theses things on.. you have the right idea but you want to start from the bottom and work your way up. reason being is that it will be a strait edge. in other words. if you start from the bottom. line up the corners of the screen protector with the corner of the screen. peel back a quarter of and inch and i use a credit card to smooth out the air bubbles as i peel back more and more of the screen protector.. if you start from the top. you might not put the screen proitectore on perfectly strait which means when yo uget to the bottom, it will slightly overlap the home or back button. if you start from the bottom and line up the corners, it will fit perfictly all the way up to the speaker.

Exil3d 11-06-2008 01:11 PM

I got extremely lucky with my new Pro. What I did was steam up my bathroom for 5 minutes with he door closed. Then before I walked it I dusted my self off out the bathroom and waited 1 minutes so any left over dust in the air falls off. Then I opened the bathroom door slowly and walked in slowly. BTW.. I never remove the plastic film over the screen that comes with Pro out the box. I always leave it there until I am ready to apply the screen protector. Once I am inside the bathroom I shut the shower off and wait another 2 minutes so the steam somewhats fades away a bit. The I grab the Pro and screen protector and put them side by side. I peal the Pro plastic film off slowly so i don't agitate any dust over my cloth. If you can go in naked its better. Otherwise just move slowly so you don't knock off any small lints from your clothing. Once I slowly peel of the plastic film I immediately peel off the screen protector from its backing. I do this all slowly. The waste no time and try to align it to your best of aligning abilities. I always do it from top to bottom. This was my first perfect installation and I have 0 bubbles and the notorious side bubbles are non existing since I laid it perfectly square to it. i was amazed how lucky I got.

peejayek 11-06-2008 01:13 PM

oh and you dont need steam or water. jut slowly work it on there with a creditcard. dont completely peel it off the thing its stuck to. just roll it back as you smooth it on with the card...

InvincibleLiving 11-06-2008 01:37 PM

of course like many i use the steam room method but also when applying the protector starting from the bottom I peel it on slowly so that it almost forms a 'C' while going on... everytime i do this it automatically seals to the screen without the chance of bubble forming. Takes all of 15 seconds and aligns perfectly everytime as well... it's an art lol

badboy8813 11-06-2008 01:44 PM

it took me 2 mins to put on the screen protector... here is the trick... don't remove the screen protector from the shield it comes in.. apply it onto the phone as you would do a band aid..

first lining up the earpiece hole and go from there... easy and zero bubbles!

Victor_A 11-06-2008 01:46 PM

I just used the good old soapy water on screen protector. This method gives plenty of time to align the edges. I have no bubble anywhere. Looks like there is nothing protecting the screen
Some pics here

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMG_0061.jpg http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMG_0062.jpg

pyroz 11-06-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor_A (Post 501134)
I just used the good old soapy water on screen protector. This method gives plenty of time to align the edges. I have no bubble anywhere. Looks like there is nothing protecting the screen
Some pics here

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMG_0061.jpg http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMG_0062.jpg

how do you dry the soapy water that is between the screen and the protector?

Victor_A 11-06-2008 01:59 PM

Used a credit card to squeeze it out after is was where I wanted it. Then let it sit for a while while it dried out. It dried over night. Next day it was perfect. If you do it this way you can leave just enough soapy water to let you align it then dont touch it anymore. It dries out very clear.

Compusmurf 11-06-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Good luck.

Dude, you forgot the final, but not always needed step.

I'll add it for clarity.

If you do get airbubbles using this method, use the rubber mallet to pound them right on out.

Compusmurf 11-06-2008 02:24 PM

On topic post.

I'm not overly fond of the soapy water trick, esp around small, sensitive electronic devices that cost this much.

How do you avoid getting ANY water seepage around the sides of the screen and/or the speaker areas?

Victor_A 11-06-2008 02:31 PM

Well I had a very small amount of water around the earpiece but I just sprayed it out with air. It was only there for a few seconds so nothing got damaged also I didn't have the battery installed.

InvincibleLiving 11-06-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 501251)
On topic post.

I'm not overly fond of the soapy water trick, esp around small, sensitive electronic devices that cost this much.

How do you avoid getting ANY water seepage around the sides of the screen and/or the speaker areas?

this is my concern with this method as well...