PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kitchens...Roms...Information

I am new to the HTC world. Just got 2 Touch Pro's from Sprint (finally got tired of my Instincts). I have been pouring over the forums the last several days trying to take in all the possibilities for this device. I am tying to figure out the best collection of compiled updates/roms are recommended for this device.

I like the bottom rolling bar for navigation, but would like to customize it & add icons, like nav if possible, and add things like weather to the main screen.

Bottom line I am looking to find out what ROMS/Kitchens are, what their advantages are (I already unlocked one of the phones) and the best ones to meet my needs.

-Side note, are the essential updates compatible with ROMS, or is it bad to intermix things?

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by SolApathy; 06-11-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Kitchens...Roms...Information

From wiki.xda-developers.com
Quote:
The ROM is an image of your phone's software as it came from the factory, tucked safely away from your view until you need it. Whenever you do a hard reset, the storage on your phone is wiped clean and replaced with the information contained in this ROM. Each ROM is customized to a particular piece of hardware (unlike desktop installations of Windows). That's why a ROM for a Motorola Q won't work on a T-Mobile DASH. To add more mud to the waters, each carrier adds its own customizations to the base ROM that may add features or limit the device's use in some way. New ROMS are often issued by carriers (like the upgrade from WM5 to WM6) or they can come from "cookers." Cookers make community-supported ROMs with different feature sets for different groups of users.
Kitchen is just a program used to add stuff to your custom ROM like different programs and utilities. You "cook" these programs into your ROM in the "kitchen". Get it? good...

Go to the proper upgrade forum (links at the top of the Touch Pro forum) and check out the ROMs in there. Read the stickies and how to actually FLASH a new ROM.

Flashing:
Quote:
The ROM hidden in your phone's memory is a carrier-installed version. It stays there waiting for you to mess up and need a hard reset of your device. Re-flashing the ROM replaces the carrier's ROM with either a newer Windows Mobile version, more features, or fewer limitations. This way, the next time you hard-reset your phone, it's as if your phone came with the updated software from the factory.

Last edited by brushrop03; 06-11-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

omg you got 2 phones of the same? you are so lucky. i kinda want another just so i can try like 10 roms in one day HAHA.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff

MY 2 Original Instincts & the 2 non-working replacements....
Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Weapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolApathy View Post

MY 2 Original Instincts & the 2 non-working replacements....
see now youve gone and made ME jealous! lol

The best thing that i have found that helps is in the specific ROM thread the chefs 99% of the time post all of their programs in their thread. This way you can look and find out weither their is a program or two that you want. Something else that is even more specific is to use a kitchen. Basically a kitchen gives you a list of all the avaliable programs that can be put on your device and you choose what to add and what not to add. Certain program in the kitchens are a must tho to get the rom to create properly. Keep in mind if there is a program or two that you want to add later you still can

Hope Ive helped some

DavidinCT "I was going to say something like......So I bumped into your girl and noticed the cheeze...then she said she was happy to find a real man....but, I just cant"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro