PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

brahmachari99 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems installing Gmail App on HTC Touch Pro

I upgraded to a Sprint Touch Pro from Mogul a few days ago. On Mogul, I had the Gmail app installed, which was a painless process. You went to the m.google.com and had them send you a link to your phone, which would then download and isntall a .cab file.

On my Touch Pro, when I do this, it wants to download a small (588 bytes) file called gmail.jad. When I navigate to this file, I get the error "There's no application associated with "gmail"....."

I assume .jad refers to Java, and I don't see Java installed on Touch Pro. What am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to fix this. Why did the Mogul download a .cab file but Touch Pro doesn't? I am running the standard spring ROM/apps. No modifications.

Last edited by brahmachari99; 11-04-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Problems install Gmail App on HTC Touch Pro

Click the Titan shortcut in Programs. The Touch Pro has no Java VM installed by default, unlike the Mogul. It has to be downloaded and installed.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

phaze is just getting started
Re: Problems install Gmail App on HTC Touch Pro

Thanks for the tip, I also had this question.

Is there a flash plugin for the touch pro as well?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Threadstarter

brahmachari99 is a n00b
Re: Problems installing Gmail App on HTC Touch Pro

Installed the Titan but I get the message "The Sprint Titan Stack license has expired". I also installed the update patch on Titan website but that doesn't help.

Whatever happened to the .cab file for Gmail that installs as a WinMo application rather than a Java app? Why doesn't the system let us install that?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I wasn't aware of a WM-native Gmail application. I thought they made it only for Java and Blackberry and such. I just use the built-in Inbox to access my Gmail accounts.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Systom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Systom

Anyone have any updated information on this? Does midlet 2.0 work? Trying to install java for the HTC Touch Pro in order to install Gmail App 2.0
Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 AM
N00b

John Lessnau is a n00b

I installed java yesterday from a cab file someone listed here. Just installed the gmail app from m.gmail.com

Seems to work well, but not sure if it is better then the built in app yet. I'll report back after more use.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Any reason you would use a Gmail app, rather than the pocket outlook program?

Pocket Outlook + Gmail Imap = great setup.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Systom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSystom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Systom

I'm currently using gmail app after some long researching for particular programs and files. This is what I have been looking for, and it's even better than what I used to use with the midlet 2.0 app with the Moto Q, it'd shut down every time you closed it unless you hit the back button far enough, whereas with this method, it'll stay open in the background like any other program(not sure if you can do multi-java apps/games, haven't tested.) I'll post this same thing in that essentials thread to see if it's even worth it to whoever owns that page for the gmail app, or most java apps at that I suppose since I've seen people asking numerous times. Using a Sprint Touch Pro, here is the latest gmail app 2.0.6;
http://m.google.com/app/v2.0.6/L1/gmail-g.jar

Here's the java program--I presume this would also work on the Diamond or other PPC's since there's different download options, but namely the VGA version for the Diamond/Touch Pro;
http://www.powerpda.info/?category=w...d_mod__vga_mod
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 AM
N00b

John Lessnau is a n00b

I have used both apps now and find that the built in outlook app with gmail works better with the touch pro. With the gmail app you need to use the wheel and stylus much more as it does not scroll with the touch of a finger on the screen.

I also found it difficult how the gmail app collapses all labeled emails together so you find yourself doing lots of scrolling with the stylus or wheel if you get lots of emails.

I think I'll wait for a gmail app made for a TP screen.

Perhaps I'm using the gmail app wrong or there are some settings I missed. If so, let me know.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro