PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   [Answered] [Please Lock] Is there such a thing as a perfect Touch Pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42963)

ScrapMaker 11-03-2008 10:39 PM

[Answered] [Please Lock] Is there such a thing as a perfect Touch Pro?

Just picked up my third Touch Pro, which supposedly came from the new batch of TP's that Best Buy just got in.

Same screen sensitivity problems, same metallic/buzzing earpiece, and overall blurry speakerphone.

Still gets RAGINGLY-hot if a phone call lasts longer than 5 minutes, and the battery still seems to drain faster than my gas tank...

All of you that claim to have no problems, can you please tell me that your phone exibits none of the following:

1) Earpiece w/ audiopara (lite) -- When you call Voicemail, on loudest volume, does the woman sound vibrant and clear, like a landline, or does it sound "tinny/metallic?" My original Touch, and every other phone I have ordered have had a very natural sound to the earpiece.

2) Speaker -- The speaker seems to have a much lower volume than my Touch, and no where near as clear. What about yours?

3) Screen -- The worst problem of all... Open a text message, using the full qwerty keyboard, push as LIGHTLY as possible, (with your thumb--not your fingernail or stylus,) on the middle/right of the 'a' key. does your 'a' key actually get pressed? On ALL THREE of my touch pro phones, it pushes the 's' instead. This is VERY aggrevating. You have to push harder to make the 'a' work. This is definitely not how my Touch worked. Also, tell me if it's JUST AS EASY to push the upper left/right of the screen as it is to push the very center.

4) Battery -- how are some of you getting "a day and a half" of usage? wtf is that? I don't think my phone would last 24 hours just being ON and connected to Sprint's EV-DO network. If my battery lasts 8 hours I am very amazed. So far it hasn't come close. I have my charger sitting on my desk at work, with the phone on it, all day. When I leave work at 5, I might send 10-15 texts, NO phone calls, and NO web-browsing, yet my battery will already be at 50% by 9pm. I just don't see how you guys are claiming 36 hours of battery life...

I honestly think that more people have defective phones than they realize, and are so absorbed by the "coolness/geek/productivity" factors, that they don't notice these other things. I want my phone to work perfectly as a PHONE--then be awesome at the other PPC stuff too... That's what my Touch did... but I wanted a better screen and a better keyboard.

So if you guys could kindly explain yourselves, I think it would be VERY helpful to those of us who might have defective units but THINK they are perfect...

Thanks,

Steve

After exhaustive research and a great deal of experience, it seems like quite a few people, (if not the majority,) are having huge problems with their Pros. I'm not here to judge or convince anyone to buy, or not to buy this phone. Pick the phone up for yourself and make the call--don't base such an important decision on comments on an internet forum.

jaytv 11-03-2008 10:51 PM

Re: Is there such a thing as a perfect Touch Pro?

1) No. Loud and clear. Not tinny at all, just digital.
2) No. Louder than Diamond, loud as Touch. Very clear.
3) No. Works perfectly in both on-screen qwerty and the slide out keyboard.
4) Mixed. Battery hasn't had time to settle down yet. In a week or two, we'll all know this accurately.
I think those who got their pros from Best Buy got hosed. I got mine last week direct from Sprint Corporate. I had heard rumors that Best Buy got the B stock, and now I am starting to believe it...

robber 11-03-2008 10:57 PM

Disable roaming and see what that does for the battery.

Earpiece is fine on mine. Big improvement over the treo 800-no hack. Speakerphone is also better than the treo but there is certainly room for improvement.

No problems with the screen - im not looking for them either. However, for me- the on screen keyboard is what might make this a keeper for me. I can easily and accurately type out one handed texts and quick emails. Physical keyboard is used for longer notes. The on screen keyboard was terrible on all other phones I have ever had including the 6900 and this alone always drove me back to a treo.

Battery is still breaking in. Today 20 emails and 60 minutes on the phone had me at 50% by 1 pm which is not that great but not awful either.

ppcninja 11-03-2008 10:59 PM

1. my volume is fine with no enhancements
2. speaker too
3. do you mean the software or hardware keyboard? both easy to use and honestly the software one seems easier then any ive used before, with the iphone-like feedback and big-growing letters
4. battery is better then my old moguls. did you do the tweaks?
a) turn location off except for 911
b) do all the reg power management tweaks
c) turn wifi/bluetooth off if you arent using them

i wanted to test battery usage, so i called my touch pro from my home phone and left the call connected for 45 minutes (this was after some light opera usage) and still had over 80% battery left.

also even after all that, only slightly warm not hot at all. definitley keep exchanging till you get a good one

one thing about mine is that it seems a little laggy though, with touchflo3d and even just regular menu operation

edit: i got mine from best buy, so they arent all bad

edit2: assuming you meant the onscreen full qwerty keyboard, i opened a text message and hit a 5 times in a row with no problem using my thumb. how are you not able to do it? the key grows big and wont type the letter till you release it on the right key

codeman05 11-03-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaytv (Post 494830)
I think those who got their pros from Best Buy got hosed. I got mine last week direct from Sprint Corporate. I had heard rumors that Best Buy got the B stock, and now I am starting to believe it...

I hope that's not the case, if it is though I think I lucked out. I'm not getting any of those problems except the speaker phone could be better, but I never use it so I'm not that concerned about it. Battery seems to be doing well so far, it gets to 25% quick but stays there forever, I think once it calibrates it will be fine. Already it seems much better than the battery life on my 6700

allanak 11-03-2008 11:03 PM

1. Sounds fine to me?
2. Loud and alright. Definitely not the best speaker on earth - I think I can say my Nextel phones have trumped it but whatever
3. Maybe you suck at aligning your screen (all 3 times). You didn't mention if this happens while the keyboard is out or not - I assume you mean the OSK but I tried the actual keyboard and on-screen in both portrait and landscape - no issues.
4. Definitely not the best battery I've ever had but I've only had the phone a few days.

themystx2 11-03-2008 11:17 PM

May I ask if you are running Beejive? As long as that app is running, my battery lasts about 6 hours tops. That was my culprit.

Mbai2 11-03-2008 11:21 PM

I got mine from Best Buy and I have none of these problems. I've noticed that I have to press harder on the edges when I use the stylus if I want the very edge of the screen to register but I rarely need to access that part of the screen. The only small annoyance is the wobbly screen that twists with respect to the keyboard portion of the phone.

PropagandaX 11-03-2008 11:35 PM

I got mine from best buy Nov1, I assume it was the first batch and I am not having any problems.

Ph33zy 11-03-2008 11:39 PM

Did you guys have trouble returning your TP for the third time at Best Buy? They were hesitant to let me return my first one. The second one works great, but when the lady was activating it, she dropped her scanner right on top of it and it has a tiny scratch on the case, which is bothering me because it's so new.