PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: Is there such a thing as a perfect Touch Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesfactor View Post
Bad analogy, you are talking about 11 random electronic devices. Doesn't fit in this case. If you go to the store and buy a Panasonic plasma television and it turns out defective, return it 11 times and find that each set is defective, it's fair to assume that the manufacturing process is defective (lacks proper QC standards). These manufacturing processes are automated, so repetitive errors of the same kind are definitely more than just a coincidence. Lots of user reviews of the pro around on the web that succeed the articles written list the same errors/manufacturing defects. (Not everyone has these issues, but a large part of the TP population pool has them)...I have the same overcharging heating issues as well, I've learned to live with it because it's either this or some other crappy sprint phone for me. So given the choices or the lack of them, I'm sticking to the Pro..for now.
Wow...really? Let's keep missing the point...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

LeoKnightas is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Bad analogy, you are talking about 11 random electronic devices. Doesn't fit in this case. If you go to the store and buy a Panasonic plasma television and it turns out defective, return it 11 times and find that each set is defective, it's fair to assume that the manufacturing process is defective (lacks proper QC standards). These manufacturing processes are automated, so repetitive errors of the same kind are definitely more than just a coincidence. Lots of user reviews of the pro around on the web that succeed the articles written list the same errors/manufacturing defects. (Not everyone has these issues, but a large part of the TP population pool has them)...I have the same overcharging heating issues as well, I've learned to live with it because it's either this or some other crappy sprint phone for me. So given the choices or the lack of them, I'm sticking to the Pro..for now.
Couldn't have said it better myself. This is my third TP and the only reason I'm keeping this one is because Juggalo's Touch Pro Rom has made the battery life tollerable.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
I agree with you to a certain degree, but i also disagree with you. You made a good point here
"If you go to the store and buy a Panasonic plasma television and it turns out defective, return it 11 times and find that each set is defective, it's fair to assume that the manufacturing process is defective (lacks proper QC standards)."
But the thing is i wouldn't say that our devices are defective becuase of some of these issues. Alot of these issuse can be fixed via rom update or registry edit, and I honestly believe that there are more Touch Pros that are in great shape then the ones that have problems. Now 11 tv's would be a good number to test for TV's. I don't think that is enough for phones, especially when there is a rumor that the first bacth that went out had major problems. How many is in a batch??? Exactly it could be 200 maybe 1000 who knows so what if the 11 he had all came from that first batch?? I love my pro and i have had 4. My first one was fine but then i felt like maybe i could get a better one lol. My second one actually had a defective speaker so i got it replaced. My third one was great but then i dropped it and damaged it. Now those first 3 all came from Best Buy and 2 out of the 3 were great with the exception to the home key being raised on one. The fourth one that i got from sprint has been the best thus far with no problems once so ever. This phone is great i wish people would just stop complaining. WHAT PHONE IS PERFECT. I gurantee you that EVERY PHONE has some type of defect. You want to know why because NOTHING IS PERFECT. You talk about this phone as if you have it by default. Nobody made you buy this phone so if you don't like it take it back.
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
I have no major deal-breaking complaints with my TP and am quite happy with it overall.
That's awesome! I am really grateful that yours turned out fine. I am actually jealous, because I tried so hard, and wanted this dang thing to work for me. I like Sprint, a lot. I love the plans, the coverage, how quick I get help in the stores... I can't complain one bit about service. On the other hand, if you go in a Verizon store, you are lucky to even see a representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by land2634 View Post
Seeing that this thread has resurfaced, I will say that the hardware buttons that were once barely sticking out on my device are now very obvious on the left side (Home and Send buttons). At times, I have to realign the button before I can use it. I have always left it in the case that came with it and have yet to drop it or anything of the sort. However, my brother does have a Touch Pro that does not have this problem, so I would definitely say there may be something to the speculation about the first Best Buy batch.
I really don't understand this hardware button issue... 3 out of my 6 had this issue. 2 of them had it out-of-the-box, where I had to "pop" the button back in place hundreds of times per day, and one of them happened over the span of 3-4 days. No abuse, nothing. The other two were fine--no issues, (with the buttons.) Some of my units had problems with the d-pad being really hard to use--I bet there is some sort of low-level "calibration," for this area, and maybe sometimes it's set differently on different units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKnightas View Post
I got mine from Sprint (internet) and it has the hardware button issue (home button side slightly raised). This is my third one. No, there is no such thing as a perfect Touch Pro!
Most of mine had a raised home button... I didn't care, as long as it didn't start getting rrreaally lose and falling off

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
wow, this took an ugly turn.
Scrap, we're not going to see you on here complaining about the x1a panels being sluggish, are we? or that the keyboard doesn't have enough feedback and is too dimly lit? or that the screen can be unresponsive? or that wifi hangs and is slower than the other phones? or (and this is a big one) that the battery life is actually equal or less than the touch pro (even though it's bigger?)???
these are complaints i've heard by users and reviewers, so just brace urself. just like the pro, not all users find these problems, but they're out there. there may never be a perfect phone for u, but at least we wont have to see your repetitive complaints in here anymore
\

If the X1a has as many problems as you say, (not sure why anyone would use WIFI, but ok,) then I will return it. The reviews I have seen have said the battery lasts 2-3 days, but okay. But yes, if I am going to spend money on a device, I want it to work as well as it is advertised. Simply put, a business-class phone sure as hell better make long phone calls without overheating. That's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Man this thread really did take a turn for the worst since I posted yesterday. Seems like you can't have a discussion without some name calling and flaming these days...

Anyhow, for anyone who paid $700, i truly feel sorry for you. Cause this thing definitely doesn't live up to a $700 piece of hardware. Personally, I only paid $250 for mine. I can see why you would be pissed if you shelled out that much money.
Well, if you signed a contract, the phone isn't really $250. A contract makes them money, that's why they have them. They can keep you from using your older, cheaper plans. If you had absolutely no intention of leaving Sprint, and you were already on an expensive plan, then I guess you did pretty well for yourself. This phone is $579.99, and I don't think it lives up to that price either, honestly.

Quote:
Secondly, how can you make a general assumption based on the devices that you've played with or owned, a total of 11 of them out of how many released in the U.S alone? I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can make an assumption based on such a small sample size.

That's like surveying 11 random people and taking those results and concluding that those results are valid and true. For the most part, people come to forums because there is something wrong and they need help. How often do you see a person come on here and say, gee my phone is perfect, I love x y z about the phone? It just doesn't happen as much.

And I really hope the mods close this thread. Scrap, can't you just delete the whole thing, or is that just one post?
Not sure I can delete the whole thing. I think there is some interesting info in this thead, and if it gets locked, then so be it. I don't think much is really being contributed anymore. I had a simple question, as to whether or not anyone truly held, in their hand, a TP with good build, good earpieces, good screen sensitivity around the borders, good battery life, and no overheating/charging issues... No one stood up to the plate, so my question was answered.

Others may be perfectly content with their Pros, and that is awesome... While I am not saying that you guys are fanboys, what I am saying is that there are so many people in these forums that are willing to overlook huge problems, (like the overheating,) and newer people will see your comments and think nothing is wrong. Just like the post about the guy who didn't see the threads on these problems until after his 30-days... He is 'screwed,' in his own words. It would be nice to at least educate people a little at what to expect when they buy a Touch Pro. I am not here to bash it, but to be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKnightas View Post
Bad analogy, it's unfair to compare these devices to people unless the people you are refering to happen to be clones of each other. These devices are made in a factory with all the same parts and are supposed to be identical in every way.
I agree... Taking 11 phones as a random sample, and having nearly the same problem with each of them is a pretty good indication there is a problem--especially when you add other people's experiences here, and at the stores, etc. It comes down to whether or not you can deal with those problems, and I was not able to.

Quote:
Fair enough. It's like owning 5 of anything electronic and playing with 6 more and saying that all the products are defective..

Better?

My point was...you can't make a general assumption on a such a small sample size.
I have to agree with LeoKnightas on this one. (Cool nick by the way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
they are obviously are not all identical. My boss bought one the first day they came out & it has so many problems he returned it in & bought a Blackberry.

My TP, on the other hand that came from ebay has none of the many problems his had.

~John
Interesting that you mention that... I have had good luck with ebay phones as well. After I had all the bad experiences with the Pro, however, I wasn't about to take the risk though. If I could have gotten it for $300 on ebay, I probably would have, and I wouldn't complain about the issues either.

Quote:
Best post ever. The phone does have some serious issues, and many of us can just "deal with it." Many of us cannot, as well, and I think it's only fair to make this information available to curious people. From my perspective, there was some sort of QC failure, or something. I don't understand how so many people could have button problems, or other build issues, (like chrome with dents.) I could understand us ALL having the same radio/heat/charging issues, because that is part of the design, as well as the identical radio software. Something that cannot vary. I could see how that would not be caught by the QC process.

I'll end this by also mentioning that most phone review sites really don't spend much time on CDMA-variant phones. I have noticed that they will release a huge article about the GSM version of a phone, like the Touch Pro, and talk all about it, then when the CDMA one rolls along, they really don't say much. Many times they just copy-paste stuff from the other review, or don't even bother writing a new one.

In this case, I'd say there are significant differences between the original GSM phone, and our Sprint CDMA version. I have a feeling, that if a large review site spent more time with this phone, and actually field-tested it, they would find out the overheating/charging/battery issue fairly easily.

Mods, feel free to lock this, as I don't think much positive information is being brought to the table, so to speak. Please don't delete it though, because I think it could give someone valuable information if they are searching for advice.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
I agree with you to a certain degree, but i also disagree with you. You made a good point here
"If you go to the store and buy a Panasonic plasma television and it turns out defective, return it 11 times and find that each set is defective, it's fair to assume that the manufacturing process is defective (lacks proper QC standards)."
But the thing is i wouldn't say that our devices are defective becuase of some of these issues. Alot of these issuse can be fixed via rom update or registry edit, and I honestly believe that there are more Touch Pros that are in great shape then the ones that have problems. Now 11 tv's would be a good number to test for TV's. I don't think that is enough for phones, especially when there is a rumor that the first bacth that went out had major problems. How many is in a batch??? Exactly it could be 200 maybe 1000 who knows so what if the 11 he had all came from that first batch?? I love my pro and i have had 4. My first one was fine but then i felt like maybe i could get a better one lol. My second one actually had a defective speaker so i got it replaced. My third one was great but then i dropped it and damaged it. Now those first 3 all came from Best Buy and 2 out of the 3 were great with the exception to the home key being raised on one. The fourth one that i got from sprint has been the best thus far with no problems once so ever. This phone is great i wish people would just stop complaining. WHAT PHONE IS PERFECT. I gurantee you that EVERY PHONE has some type of defect. You want to know why because NOTHING IS PERFECT. You talk about this phone as if you have it by default. Nobody made you buy this phone so if you don't like it take it back.
So your first phone was fine, and you returned it anyways? Hrm.

Anyways, it's not batch-related. I had 10/13, 10/14, 10/12, 11/6, 11/6, and finally an 11/7. All had the screen issues, and battery/heat/charging issues. I don't know the manufacturing dates of the ones I played with in the stores, or the ones my brother had, but they had same issues. My brother did end up with an AT&T Fuze, and it did not have the overheating issues--but the screen was not very good--better than my Sprint versions though.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro