PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

enyce9 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
windows update error

When I click windows update I get an error:

Connection to the server was not available. Check your data connection settings and ensure the device date and time are correct.

Anyone else experience this? I noticed that the phone is not trying to make a data connection
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: windows update error

Windows Update has never actually done anything, so I wouldn't be particularly concerned with it. They've never pushed updates through it. Seems like a waste of space.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

enyce9 is a n00b

that may be true but why include if the app is broken?
I would expect the phone connect to the server and say no update available
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I didn't get any connection errors with mine, but my point was that if your phone is working otherwise, there's no pointing in spending a lot of time troubleshooting an app that has never done, nor likely ever will do anything. It's included as it's a standard part of Windows Mobile, but MS has yet to bother to deliver any updates through it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

enyce9 is a n00b

I get what you are saying but if a standard part of windows mobile isnt working out of the box what else isnt working that I dont know about yet
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Timeless

Fair enough, but I'd say just try the applications you actually use. If everything else can access the internet fine, then it's likely an isolated issue.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul and Touch Pro

mdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good work

yeah it isnt used. Microsoft offered it as a way for OEM and mobile carriers to push updates, but no one has even begun to use it and at this point, I doubt they will anytime soon.

And since its never been used, it probably will error out alot.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I agree with those above, it is just there for options. It allows carriers to do something if needed, but it's not feasible to use...

It's nothing to lose sleep over. Plus, if it follows the record I've had with automatic updates, I DON'T WANT it to work.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Pixel 3

jpetrone is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce9 View Post
When I click windows update I get an error:

Connection to the server was not available. Check your data connection settings and ensure the device date and time are correct.

Anyone else experience this? I noticed that the phone is not trying to make a data connection
Mine does the same thing, just so you know.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro