PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How many simultaneous e-mails via Outlook? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42928)

mrecint 11-03-2008 08:04 PM

How many simultaneous e-mails via Outlook?

I know this is more of a WM question, but I'm getting a Pro so wanted to know this.
Currently I want to sync it with my home calendar and POP e-mail that is on my desktop PC. I have 2 POP accounts.
I also want to connect to my work's Exchange server and use the mail and calendar through Active Sync Push. Is this possible? Or can I not switch between these??

Thanks

MadlyAlive 11-03-2008 08:48 PM

Re: How many simultaneous e-mails via Outlook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrecint (Post 494429)
I know this is more of a WM question, but I'm getting a Pro so wanted to know this.
Currently I want to sync it with my home calendar and POP e-mail that is on my desktop PC. I have 2 POP accounts.
I also want to connect to my work's Exchange server and use the mail and calendar through Active Sync Push. Is this possible? Or can I not switch between these??

Thanks

For Mail, you can have multiple POP/IMAP accounts and 1 Exchange ActiveSync account.

You can set your ActiveSync at home to sync with your Calendar, Contacts and Calendar but not your home E-Mail since your Exchange ActiveSync is already setup to sync mail.

I hope I didn't confuse you...I had to re-type that a couple times.

TurboFool 11-03-2008 08:58 PM

To re-write it in case mine makes any more sense:

You have what's assumed to be virtually unlimited POP/IMAP accounts. I know I have three, and I'm pretty sure you can have a lot more than that.

You can have only one Exchange account. Whatever you sync with Exchange wirelessly, though, cannot be synced with your computer via ActiveSync. So if you set it to sync your mail, you can't also sync it with your desktop. As far as I was aware this held true with calendar, contacts, etc. But if you just set up your home Outlook to use RPC over HTTP then it'll sync the same information anyway, making the phone unnecessary for that task.

MadlyAlive 11-03-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 494568)
To re-write it in case mine makes any more sense:

You have what's assumed to be virtually unlimited POP/IMAP accounts. I know I have three, and I'm pretty sure you can have a lot more than that.

You can have only one Exchange account. Whatever you sync with Exchange wirelessly, though, cannot be synced with your computer via ActiveSync. So if you set it to sync your mail, you can't also sync it with your desktop. As far as I was aware this held true with calendar, contacts, etc. But if you just set up your home Outlook to use RPC over HTTP then it'll sync the same information anyway, making the phone unnecessary for that task.

See that's what I thought, but I'm running Vista and I was just able to re-pair my phone with WMDC and choose Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.

EDIT: Someone will have to see if you can/can't do this with XP...I can check tomorrow while at work, but I'm running Vista and Linux at home.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...live/WMDC1.jpg

TurboFool 11-03-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 494581)
See that's what I thought, but I'm running Vista and I was just able to re-pair my phone with WMDC and choose Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.

EDIT: Someone will have to see if you can/can't do this with XP...I can check tomorrow while at work, but I'm running Vista and Linux at home.

I seem to recall it was on XP that I last did this, so that may be true.

jeffH70 11-03-2008 11:16 PM

You can have up to 8 accounts, one of which can be exchange. However, your Sprint Pictual Mail and Text Msg will take another 2 and Microsoft reserved their hotmail, so that leaves you 4 pop/imap accounts.

Jeff

mrecint 11-04-2008 09:39 AM

Thanks everyone for their posts. They were very helpful and they all were very clear. I'll just need to decide if I want to sync my personal calendar (wired) or work (wirelessly).