PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can my old USB charger (PPC6700) work w/ the Touch Pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42921)

Jay A whY 11-03-2008 07:19 PM

Can my old USB charger (PPC6700) work w/ the Touch Pro?

Can anyone here confirm if you are able to use an old PPC6700 USB charger (Output : 5V – 1A LPS) with the new Touch Pro without damaging it due to incorrect voltage.. Is the voltage output the same for both devices?.. I have about (4) spare PPC6700 USB chargers, & I really would like to use them w/ my new Touch Pro.. (Anxiously awaiting its arrival via UPS)

tphone 11-03-2008 07:23 PM

Re: Can my old USB charger (PPC6700) work w/ the Touch Pro?

Yes, use mine all the time. Works well

Baffles 11-03-2008 07:24 PM

Any miniusb charger will work, as long as it is standard.

specv 11-03-2008 07:37 PM

as long as its mini usb and +5v it will work. That is pretty much the standard for all usb chargers

identity 11-03-2008 07:42 PM

I couldn't connect my 6700 usb cord to the TP when I tried it this morning. I don't have the wall charger to test if it works on the TP.

Jay A whY 11-05-2008 11:36 PM

Ok... So I received my TP today, and was looking @ the charger it came with, one side of connecter is flat and it is not a regular mini USB connection.. I did try using my old PPC6700 USB charger, and it charged the TP, but the connection doesn’t seem secure.. If you look inside the USB cable that came with the TP, the contact/female connection looks a little different, compared to a normal mini USB connection.. I really don't feel comfortable using my old PPC6700 USB charger with my new TP, looks like I’ll have to spend more money on accessories….

superevilllama 11-05-2008 11:39 PM

oh for crying out loud its not difficult.

USB IS USB.

The touch pro itself has a proprietary HTC usb port, of which a standard USB cable wil also fit. The mogul had the same port. Its to allow special HTC cables to work with their phones and not others. Again, a regular mini usb plug, which your charger is, will fit just fine.

haroonie 11-05-2008 11:48 PM

when i first got my mogul when it first came out, it was working great. then i used a random generic mini usb cord from an old mini hdd from hong kong to sync and half the keys stopped working / keyboard didnt light up any longer.

charger should work fine though, but just an fyi about my experience with mini usb..

TurboFool 11-05-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay A whY (Post 499782)
Ok... So I received my TP today, and was looking @ the charger it came with, one side of connecter is flat and it is not a regular mini USB connection.. I did try using my old PPC6700 USB charger, and it charged the TP, but the connection doesn’t seem secure.. If you look inside the USB cable that came with the TP, the contact/female connection looks a little different, compared to a normal mini USB connection.. I really don't feel comfortable using my old PPC6700 USB charger with my new TP, looks like I’ll have to spend more money on accessories….

They are designed to support standard USB chargers. Just use it. It's perfectly safe, and perfectly standard, and the entire reason they designed the port that way. Otherwise they would have made it not fit and not charge the phone. Relax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroonie (Post 499825)
when i first got my mogul when it first came out, it was working great. then i used a random generic mini usb cord from an old mini hdd from hong kong to sync and half the keys stopped working / keyboard didnt light up any longer.

charger should work fine though, but just an fyi about my experience with mini usb..

Which would be evidence that you had either a really bad coincidental failure, or a really poor-quality cable that had a short in it. Either way, this has nothing to do with it being mini-USB.

Jay A whY 11-06-2008 12:00 AM

Alright.. Let’s just say I take yall word on this situation, & then things start to F-Up.. Yall are going to buy my accessories!.. So I'm charging it to the know it all!