PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Considering TouchPro Return - Need Advice! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42843)

drezden 11-03-2008 10:11 AM

Considering TouchPro Return - Need Advice!

OK, so I was really excited to get the TP because I needed a phone for work that I could use for checking email and lots of texting, but after playing with the Pro for a week I'm really disappointed and considering a return to Best Buy.

So here and the major problems and my need for advice, many of you already know these issues.

1: Horrible call quality / earpiece - on nearly every call Ive made with this phone Ive had to have the other caller speak up or repeat something which is very annoying for all parties involved. Ive tried the Audiopara fix, WOW HD, unlocking AudioBooster, etc but no luck. Turning the earpiece up just makes it sound like Ive got a kazoo next to my head.

2: Horrible battery life - I'm out of the office a lot so I can't always get to a charger and even after doing tweaks to improve the life and doing a full drain on the battery, it still won't last throughout the day, even with light use. Plus after a long call my phone is hot which doesn't seem right.

3: Cheap feel / build quality - The battery cover and even the body in general on my TP is loose and creakier than the doors in a haunted house. I know I can largely fix this by adding tape or padding, but for what I paid for this thing I shouldn't have to do anything remotely like that.

So as a result I spent a long time last night watching review videos on YouTube and Im considering dropping back to a more simple phone. So do people here think I should attempt to get another TP and hope its better or go to a different phone with a QUERTY like the LG Lotus or the Samsung Rant? Call quality is my number one concern.

People here have been awesome about helping repair many of these issues so I really respect your opinions on these issues.

cornelious2 11-03-2008 10:15 AM

Re: Considering TouchPro Return - Need Advice!

first off lots of first adopters form bestbuy have seemed to have issues so a return will probably improve your call quality (mines damn near perfect).

the battery life is an issue, though I can usually make it a good day and a half on a charge with light use.

as for the battery door, its kinda finicky I find that you have to put it on perfectly and then the creaking goes away though its highly annoying if you swap sd cards often.

harlem135th 11-03-2008 10:24 AM

I got mine the day it dropped at best buy and it was horrible, sound, parts showing the wiring underneath the faceplate and it over heating and getting real hot...i took mine to sprint instead of best buy and noticed a change in the device as in the speaker, and other issues that were no longer present. the battery life is a clear issue and i'm on the fence with it as well. but it's all up to you and your preference. and yes you shouldnt have to come up with tweaks and edits to make something work/last that you paid for.

jjday7 11-03-2008 10:37 AM

I have said this in a couple other post but the first batch that went to best buy for purchase all have major problems. I replaced mine and all the issues went away.

I had the keyboard glitch, bad sound, creaking back door, very slow, and some buttons were crackling when I would press them. I brought it back to best buy and they didn't even ask any questions or even look at the phone.

The guy said he expects a lot to come back and replace them.

Phreddo 11-03-2008 10:42 AM

either i'm not having the issues, or i'm not noticing them?
what issues should i look for?

Baffles 11-03-2008 10:44 AM

I bought the night it dropped (10/24) and have no issues. My battery cover doesn't creak, my device isn't slow (heck, that would be software, not hardware), my sound is fine, and I'm not sure which keyboard glitch you're referring to, but it's probably software as well.

drezden 11-03-2008 10:52 AM

I think I'll need to drop by Best Buy again or the Sprint store near my house and see what luck I have with round 2. I'm definitely going to look at the earpiece to make sure the holes are punched all the way across. Mine only goes half way.

Has anyone here had experience with the LG Lotus? I've had really good luck with that brand before and I'm starting to think that the Touch Pro is just too much phone for me.

steb0ne 11-03-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drezden (Post 493267)
I think I'll need to drop by Best Buy again or the Sprint store near my house and see what luck I have with round 2. I'm definitely going to look at the earpiece to make sure the holes are punched all the way across. Mine only goes half way.

Has anyone here had experience with the LG Lotus? I've had really good luck with that brand before and I'm starting to think that the Touch Pro is just too much phone for me.

If you're even considering the Lotus compared to the Touch Pro, I'd say "Yeah, it's too much for you"

basilray 11-03-2008 11:35 AM

I got mine at Best Buy on Saturday. It was the last one they had from their original shipment at that store. I have no call quality issues, no keyboard issues (aside from backlight), and only a minimal creak to the back door.

Battery life seems to be pretty good considering I have had wi-fi going a lot and have been testing some high-end games for my roommate's company. The games in question all leverage the g-sensor to replicate motions (bowling, lawn darts, etc.).

drezden 11-03-2008 11:47 AM

I was looking at the Lotus because I really just need a QUERTY for doing quick email replies but I absolutely need the phone part to be solid. So i figure dropping back to something like the Lotus or Rant will give me more of a real phone.

With the Touch Pro it seems like the phone portion was the last thing that anyone thought about, especially considering that the person calling you gets almost three rings in before the Touch Pro even lights up. I know this is more of a WinMo issue but it seems like the guy who designed the phone system on this thing didn't actually like talking to people. Its like it misses calls on purpose which is retarded.