PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
N00b

robber is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Considering TouchPro Return - Need Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezden View Post
OK, so I was really excited to get the TP because I needed a phone for work that I could use for checking email and lots of texting, but after playing with the Pro for a week I'm really disappointed and considering a return to Best Buy.

So here and the major problems and my need for advice, many of you already know these issues.

1: Horrible call quality / earpiece - on nearly every call Ive made with this phone Ive had to have the other caller speak up or repeat something which is very annoying for all parties involved. Ive tried the Audiopara fix, WOW HD, unlocking AudioBooster, etc but no luck. Turning the earpiece up just makes it sound like Ive got a kazoo next to my head.

2: Horrible battery life - I'm out of the office a lot so I can't always get to a charger and even after doing tweaks to improve the life and doing a full drain on the battery, it still won't last throughout the day, even with light use. Plus after a long call my phone is hot which doesn't seem right.

3: Cheap feel / build quality - The battery cover and even the body in general on my TP is loose and creakier than the doors in a haunted house. I know I can largely fix this by adding tape or padding, but for what I paid for this thing I shouldn't have to do anything remotely like that.

So as a result I spent a long time last night watching review videos on YouTube and Im considering dropping back to a more simple phone. So do people here think I should attempt to get another TP and hope its better or go to a different phone with a QUERTY like the LG Lotus or the Samsung Rant? Call quality is my number one concern.

People here have been awesome about helping repair many of these issues so I really respect your opinions on these issues.

Your 3 concerns are almost universal. Check the treo forums, same thing. Ace, Q9c, Mogul, etc, etc. Everyone complains about these 3 things no matter which phone you have. They are inherant to almost all smartphones- especially if you are coming from a traditional phone.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber View Post
Your 3 concerns are almost universal. Check the treo forums, same thing. Ace, Q9c, Mogul, etc, etc. Everyone complains about these 3 things no matter which phone you have. They are inherant to almost all smartphones- especially if you are coming from a traditional phone.
I take exception to your remark sir. My Treo 700wx has had none of those problems. Nor do I recall there being any "global" discussion about those issues with the 700wx. Now the 800w is another matter. But the 700wx is rock solid on all fronts.

late,
Coz
Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

im considering going back to my bag phone. never had the issues im having with my pro or diamond. seems like most of these "problems" can be fixed, and some have allready been fixed. just my opinion. give it a little time and do some searches.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
N00b

gordec is just getting started

I also bought mine the first day it dropped at BB.

1. The call quality (not reception) is one of the best I have ever used on a phone.

2. It's clearly faster than the Diamond I used for 2 weeks.

3. Battery life is not the greatest, but it will get me through about a day and a half. \

4. Keyboard is perfect except that the backlight doesn't stay on, and I can't find a way to force keyboard back light to stay on. Keyboard is just rock solid.

You may just have a bad unit. Just to replace it and see how you like it.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

drezden is a n00b

Well I just had another call where I could barely understand what the other person was saying so this phone is really frustrating me.

I also gave the phone to several of my co-workers (designers and programmers) and they all agreed that my Touch Pro feels cheap considering the price I had to pay for it so that has reinforced my decision to ditch it. My old Sanyo Katana II was way more solid and the call quality was 1000% better, so at this point I think I'm going to have it reactivated and start looking again.

Luckily there's a Sprint store right down the street so I can test some out over lunch.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (EnergyRom)

Ghaleon is just getting started

I have noticed issues understanding what people are saying when listening through the front earpiece (as opposed to the headset or speakerphone) and the note about the holes being punched through makes sense.. looking at my phone vs pictures on the web, the holes for the earpiece only seem to go about 2/3rds of the way across the opening... could someone take a closeup photo of their earpiece opening as a comparison?

The phone is great in all other respects, but I suspect this is the issue with the muffled call quality.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
N00b

robber is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
I take exception to your remark sir. My Treo 700wx has had none of those problems. Nor do I recall there being any "global" discussion about those issues with the 700wx. Now the 800w is another matter. But the 700wx is rock solid on all fronts.

late,
Coz
With all due respect your Treo 700wx is almost 3 years old and is actually a second generation device, the 700w being the first. There were plenty of issues with the 700w. The WX had issues in the beginning too. As did the 650 and 600 and 300.

A device that is 3 years old should tick like a clock. Three years is a long time to get things sorted out.

The Pro isnt even 3 weeks old yet.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

drezden is a n00b

I can't get a photo but this is what my earpiece looks like on the Touch Pro.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (EnergyRom)

Ghaleon is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezden View Post
I can't get a photo but this is what my earpiece looks like on the Touch Pro.

Ah, thanks. The photos around seemed to show perforations going all the way across, i thought perhaps that was the issue with the muffled/difficult to make out earpiece.

Edit:

Actually, considering you are having the same issue as I am, perhaps there is still something to the idea of missing perforations/misalignment of the speaker... looking at the zoomed in shot on the Sprint site (which admittedly isn't the clearest) it looks like the holes go across the entire span.

Last edited by Ghaleon; 11-03-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: On second thought:
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
N00b

Anthrax-VX is a n00b

my perforations seem to go all the way across, i tilt it to teh side and i can see the plastic to the light sensor and it seems the perforations even go under that portion of the light sensor. so i doubt its that, i dont think they can misplace the speaker half an inch or anything, manufacturing is pretty tight, atleast the physical part of it hehe

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro