PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Jabra BT3030 on the Touch Pro (interesting A2DP Bluetooth use info) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42636)

Nagual 11-01-2008 09:00 PM

Jabra BT3030 on the Touch Pro (interesting A2DP Bluetooth use info)

EDIT: Now using the Jabra for the first time and it's awesome. First of all, I love how it allows you to put your own wired headphones of choice in it (I have a particular hi-fidelity expensive pair of Sony earbuds which I prefer, that have a short cord--a perfect matchup). It also works well as a mic for phone calls.

But my question about whether it can coexist with another BT headset is answered YES, and that's even better!

All I had to do to make it happen was go into BT (under connections) in the Touch Pro settings menu and then select the Jabra device (once it was paired) under "Devices"--there are 2 checkboxes, one for Wireless Stereo and one for "Hands Free"--all I did was uncheck HF and then my regular Samsung BT headset works to intercept and place calls instead of the Jabra!

Why do I need this? Because when I'm in the car and using the Jabra to send the music to my car stereo (unfortunately the car has no A2DP of its own) I want to be able to answer calls normally and not use the car as a speakerphone. ;)

Sound quality all around is good and A2DP kicks butt...I recommend the Jabra to any and everyone. :mrgreen:

---

It's great to finally have a phone with some advanced BT capabilities.

Since the included adapter to go from a headphone jack into the device's mini-USB is such a bulky, awkward nightmare, it seems like this Jabra device is looking like a better idea all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-BT-3030-.../dp/B000XT3L7W

It's also good because it'll allow me to pump the audio into my car stereo's aux port in a simpler way. (No built-in Bluetooth in the car, sadly.)

My question is this: can the TP use more than one kind of BT profile at once. An example would be, if I have this Jabra setup in my car and a call comes in, and I have my usual headset in my ear, would it pause the music and allow me to take the hands-free call like it does now? (I know the Jabra itself has a feature for that, but I'd prefer using my earpiece if I can.)

toinejuan 11-01-2008 09:11 PM

Re: A2DP Bluetooth question

The limitation of bluetooth 1.1, is that it doesn't support simultaneous connections. The device itself may have bluetooth 2.0 but most devices on the market are still 1.1, therefore you can't take advantage of the newer pros of 2.0. It would be sweet to use both but your not going to be able to do audio from both.

Nagual 11-01-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toinejuan (Post 490365)
The limitation of bluetooth 1.1, is that it doesn't support simultaneous connections. The device itself may have bluetooth 2.0 but most devices on the market are still 1.1, therefore you can't take advantage of the newer pros of 2.0. It would be sweet to use both but your not going to be able to do audio from both.

Specs look (to me, a non-expert at any rate) like it might be possible though:

http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/UK-...Specifications

since it's 2.0 compatible and so forth.

Anyone tried?

Nagual 11-07-2008 02:56 PM

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Jabra headphone set, so after my results I'll report back - unless someone's already tried and would contribute here. :)

Nagual 11-12-2008 10:40 PM

Re: Jabra BT3030 on the Touch Pro (interesting A2DP Bluetooth use info)

New review and hopefully helpful info in the first post...

Compusmurf 11-13-2008 12:29 AM

I have this. I only use it as music. Also mapped to my laptop for the same reason. For my headset, I use a jawbone II

one0one951 11-13-2008 12:38 AM

I also use a BT3030 for music and a Jawbone 2 for voice. As long as I set up the 3030 to work only as wireless stereo the work fine together, switching between music in my car/Telenav commands and voice calls to the Jawbone. The only time I had any issue was when voice command was reading text messages, which caused a delay in switching back to the music.

Nagual 11-13-2008 02:52 AM

Interesting posts you two. I've done more experimenting tonight and unfortunately it looks like my Samsung headset and the Jabra don't get along quite as well as I first thought.

What happens is that in order to get them to coexist, it looks like I must turn the Samsung on first, otherwise its commands don't get recognized by the TP after the Jabra is on.

And, a smaller but interesting issue is that even if I turn them both on in that proper order, the Jabra's Play/Pause/Track Skip commands don't work most of the time although it continues to wirelessly transmit the music. I have to use the music controls from the TP. Funny enough the Jabra's volume controls continue to work though.

Can you confirm that with the Jawbone II you are able to maintain use of the Jabra's playback/skip commands? And is that regardless of what gets powered on first? I was suspecting the age (and older BT version) of my Samsung to be the possible culprit. Thanks!

blazinazn 11-20-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 490350)
EDIT: Now using the Jabra for the first time and it's awesome. First of all, I love how it allows you to put your own wired headphones of choice in it (I have a particular hi-fidelity expensive pair of Sony earbuds which I prefer, that have a short cord--a perfect matchup). It also works well as a mic for phone calls.

But my question about whether it can coexist with another BT headset is answered YES, and that's even better!

All I had to do to make it happen was go into BT (under connections) in the Touch Pro settings menu and then select the Jabra device (once it was paired) under "Devices"--there are 2 checkboxes, one for Wireless Stereo and one for "Hands Free"--all I did was uncheck HF and then my regular Samsung BT headset works to intercept and place calls instead of the Jabra!

Why do I need this? Because when I'm in the car and using the Jabra to send the music to my car stereo (unfortunately the car has no A2DP of its own) I want to be able to answer calls normally and not use the car as a speakerphone. ;)

Sound quality all around is good and A2DP kicks butt...I recommend the Jabra to any and everyone. :mrgreen:

---

It's great to finally have a phone with some advanced BT capabilities.

Since the included adapter to go from a headphone jack into the device's mini-USB is such a bulky, awkward nightmare, it seems like this Jabra device is looking like a better idea all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-BT-3030-.../dp/B000XT3L7W

It's also good because it'll allow me to pump the audio into my car stereo's aux port in a simpler way. (No built-in Bluetooth in the car, sadly.)

My question is this: can the TP use more than one kind of BT profile at once. An example would be, if I have this Jabra setup in my car and a call comes in, and I have my usual headset in my ear, would it pause the music and allow me to take the hands-free call like it does now? (I know the Jabra itself has a feature for that, but I'd prefer using my earpiece if I can.)

So I'm assuming that you have successfully paired the BT3030 with the TP. I seem to be having some trouble pairing it with mine. I have been using the BT3030 with my Motorola Q without any problems.

When I try to add device on the TP it doesn't see the headset and I can't pair them. Both are in discover mode as well. Any ideas?

Nagual 11-20-2008 05:01 PM

Other than to keep trying, unfortunately no. I seem to recall that it took me a few tries before I succeeded. Also you might want to make sure all your other BT devices are off when you pair. Anyone else?

blazinazn 11-20-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 532157)
Other than to keep trying, unfortunately no. I seem to recall that it took me a few tries before I succeeded. Also you might want to make sure all your other BT devices are off when you pair. Anyone else?

I was sure to have all my other bluetooth devices off and still nothing. When it searched for new devices nothing showed up.. :scratch:

Nagual 11-20-2008 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it helps at all, I had the Jabra literally about 3-6 inches away when I paired them (had to actually because of the button pushing needed on both).

Here's a more comprehensive version of the manual than what I got in the package, mostly accurate. Maybe it'll help. Good luck.

blazinazn 11-20-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 532456)
If it helps at all, I had the Jabra literally about 3-6 inches away when I paired them (had to actually because of the button pushing needed on both).

Here's a more comprehensive version of the manual than what I got in the package, mostly accurate. Maybe it'll help. Good luck.

Thanks, I was actually looking at both manuals while trying but still nothing. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some luck. ](*,) Thanks for your suggestions.

slopokdave 11-20-2008 09:14 PM

I have the 3030 for when I had an 800w. If anyone wants it message me and I'll sell it discounted..........

Nagual 11-20-2008 09:50 PM

Can anyone speak to how well the Jabra 3030 gets along with your BT headset? As I said in this post, my Samsung headset only works if I turn it on first, and it steps on the full functionality of the Jabra, only allowing music controls from the phone itself.

If you have a BT headset that allows full functionality along with the Jabra's full functions at the same time, please let me know what make/model it is. I may want to consider switching mine for another.

Nagual 11-20-2008 09:53 PM

blazinazn, more obvious questions but these simple things often end up mattering:

-did you try disabling and re-enabling BT on the phone?

-did you try power cycling or warm-resetting the phone?

-have you done any mods to the phone that might have affected BT functions?

gxnext 11-20-2008 10:16 PM

Im happy to see a post about the Jabra BT3030 because I got this bt when it first came out and everyone would always ask me about it and I would try and tell them how cool it is. I use it all of the time to turn my car into a speaker phone/Internet radio/mp3 player lol... it's just handy! and just recently I lost the original headphones it came with which where excellent headphones... the first headphones I've ever owned that didn't get a short in them, but i just purchased a similar pair by a different brand.. I don't know how durable the replacements are but... the fact is you can use any headset with this device...

blazinazn 11-20-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 532850)
blazinazn, more obvious questions but these simple things often end up mattering:

Nagual,

i tried disabling and re-enabling BT and the phone. No dice.

I've done some tweaks and mods but nothing that effects bluetooth to my knowledge. I'm able to connect it to my macbook. I'm able to connect it to my Motorola Q to transfer files. I just can't pair the headset.

And for whoever was asking about the quality and fuctionality:

The Jabra BT3030 is an excellent device.

With my motorola Q, I was able to turn the volume up/down, switch songs, and answer phone calls without ever touching the phone. The call quality is good and the microphone has noise cancelling on it.

The quality is simply amazing for bluetooth streaming over A2DP. I would highly recommend this headset.

Now if I could only get it working with my TP ](*,)

gregbridwell 11-21-2008 12:29 AM

Anyone figured out how to use the Audio Booster program with the BT3030? Everytime I try I get a message saying that a wired headset must be plugged in to use Audio Booster. Any thoughts?

Just FYI, I use Bose QC3s and the Bose connectivity kit with the BT3030 for both music and calls...It's pretty sweet.

Also, about the remote buttons, I was able to use pause/play while using the Sprint Music Player and I was able to use all of them play/pause/forward/back while using Windows Media Player.

blazinazn 11-21-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 532850)

I finally figured it out. I knew I was doing something wrong. Whenever I turn the headset on I would just let go of the talk button so it wouldn't stay in discovery mode. I just held it down and then my TP found it. :headbang:

Now, I just gotta wait for my microSD card to get in the mail so I can sync all my music.

Thanks for your help!

blazinazn 11-21-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregbridwell (Post 533134)
Anyone figured out how to use the Audio Booster program with the BT3030? Everytime I try I get a message saying that a wired headset must be plugged in to use Audio Booster. Any thoughts?

Have you tried plugging in the headphones that came with the phone? I think something needs to be actually plugged into the phone for it to work. Not sure if it will keep the settings once you save them and use the BT3030 :scratch:

gregbridwell 11-21-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 533590)
Have you tried plugging in the headphones that came with the phone? I think something needs to be actually plugged into the phone for it to work. Not sure if it will keep the settings once you save them and use the BT3030 :scratch:

I will give it a try and post my results. Thanks!

Edit: No go...I plugged in the dongle that it came with then activated the bt and connected and it wouldn't run the software. So I plugged in an extra headphone cable from Bose that I had stuffed in my backpack (no headphones, just the cable was enough) and it let me run the software and listen through the BT3030. While the song was active and Audio Booster was already running I tried to remove the dongle and it immediately gave me the error again. Surely there is a regedit about this somewhere no? It clearly senses whether you have headphones plugged in maybe it could be turned off.

I tried without the dongle and just the headphone cable direct to the TP and it would allow me to turn on Audio Booster while I listened to the headphones via the BT3030 but there didn't seem to be any effect on the sound at all. So I unplugged my headphones from the BT3030 and plugged into the cable already plugged into the TP and there was a definite difference when using the Audio Booster. Not to mention the sound quality difference was huge! I have to turn the volume almost all the way to the top when using the BT3030 but it is almost too loud when turned up just the first 3 volume bars when plugged directly into the phone. Does BT degrade the quality that much? or is it a WinMo/TounchPro software issue? or is it not all BT but the BT3030 in particular in this case? Most of these are rhetorical but if any of you have any ideas I'd love to hear them because I still LOVE my TP AND my BT3030 and would love to use the two of them together!

Thanks!

Nagual 11-21-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 533586)
I finally figured it out. I knew I was doing something wrong. Whenever I turn the headset on I would just let go of the talk button so it wouldn't stay in discovery mode. I just held it down and then my TP found it. :headbang:

Now, I just gotta wait for my microSD card to get in the mail so I can sync all my music.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome and very good to know this--because I just happened to do it right on my own, I didn't realize how. Enjoy the Jabra and if you would please keep me posted on how it gets along with your regular headset, if you use one at the same time (see my post here on the first page for my current situation/dilemma). :)

CaliforniaPlaya 12-13-2008 09:07 PM

Has anyone figured out anything on the audio volume? I just got a 3030 today ($45 shipped from Newegg BTW) and I like it. Audio and mic are very clear, but the audio is a bit low. On the phone the audio is ok, but when playing other audio, it is low. I'm think this might be because the phone and stereo audio are using different profiles. On an audio scale of 1-10 with 1 being barely audible and 10 being ear blasting too loud, I would consider the maximum audio out of the 3030 to be a 3, maybe 4 at the most. Yep, the audio is turned up all the way.

photopsia 12-13-2008 09:25 PM

same problem with plantronics bluetooth stereo headphones- volume sort of low even when all volume buttons on the phone and headphones at max. had posted asking for help with solution to this problem in another thread but got no suggestions. changing to the audiopara file posted in this forum also not helpful with this specific issue.

CaliforniaPlaya 12-13-2008 09:32 PM

Sounds like its either a limitation of A2DP or the Pro. This is my first time playing with stereo BT, anyone know whether the Pro or profile is the culprit?
Thanks!

photopsia 12-13-2008 10:36 PM

this was also a problem on the mogul but since both HTC phones may not help you differentiate if it's the phone or A2DP.

Nagual 12-15-2008 04:12 PM

As a workaround I'm looking for a program to normalize all my mp3s to max volume, although all of them are fine for headphones some are a bit low for the car.

And my old question is still unanswered - do any of you use a headset which coexists peacefully with the BT-3030, allowing both to work as they're supposed to? If so, which one?

CaliforniaPlaya 12-17-2008 07:10 PM

I have a similar problem Nagual, it looks like it may be a limitation of this headset, unless we can come up with a workaround. I paired the 3030 with my Pro and all seemed to work well for handsfree and A2DP. The next day I paired it with my i615 work phone. Once I did this, the 3030 worked fine for handsfree with both phones, but it wouldn't play music from the Pro anymore. I tried pairing them in different sequences, but nothing seemed to work.

Nagual 12-17-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya (Post 584944)
I have a similar problem Nagual, it looks like it may be a limitation of this headset, unless we can come up with a workaround. I paired the 3030 with my Pro and all seemed to work well for handsfree and A2DP. The next day I paired it with my i615 work phone. Once I did this, the 3030 worked fine for handsfree with both phones, but it wouldn't play music from the Pro anymore. I tried pairing them in different sequences, but nothing seemed to work.

This is a bit of a different problem than mine, though. I'm not trying to pair the 3030 with two phones (which is an advertised feature of the 3030), just trying to get both it and my handsfree Samsung WEP200 to act properly while both are on and paired with my TP.

I discovered another wrinkle recently but haven't duplicated the problem again (yet) - someone called me while the TP was playing music through my 3030 in the car. I picked up using my Samsung, but it didn't work, and all audio got routed through the phone speaker and mic. (But I can make calls out using the Samsung while the 3030 is on, no problem - it just pauses the music.) So I resorted to speakerphone since putting the phone up to my ear is now against the law here, while driving.

Kind of annoying but not the worst thing in the world. It would be nice if somehow this could be fixed or worked around.

Nagual 01-26-2009 09:32 PM

Latest to do with this device - I've solved the problem in the above post (conflict with the phone function on my Samsung BT headset) by actually doing the counterintuitive thing and ALLOWING both the Samsung WEP200 and the BT-3030 to BOTH have hands-free enabled in their profiles.

As long as I turn the Samsung on first, all my calls now reliably go to it interrupting the Jabra's music playing (while in the car, of course).

So the only issue still remaining is the lack of forward/back/play/pause remote controls on the Jabra when sharing BT functionality with the other device. Oh well, a worthy trade-off all in all.

djfujiyama 01-27-2009 01:34 AM

I just got mine delivered today. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. And i love not having to something hanging off my ear like a star trek device.

One question: has anyone been able to get the audio controls to work with anything other than HTC music player or Win Media Player? It doesn't work with either pocket music or TCPMP. Is there a workaround for this?

Nagual 01-27-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfujiyama (Post 669804)
One question: has anyone been able to get the audio controls to work with anything other than HTC music player or Win Media Player? It doesn't work with either pocket music or TCPMP. Is there a workaround for this?

I haven't tried any non-standard/included music playing software yet, but do both of those support that BT profile called AVCRP (I think?) which allows remote controls?

djfujiyama 01-30-2009 06:55 AM

No idea. Anyone else have this headset and have gotten it to work with these players?

darnell 01-30-2009 10:28 AM

Improve A2DP sound quality.

You know your A2DP sound quality can be improved to sound even better, if you use a utility like SKTools to increase the settings.

Although the 3.5mm jack on the wired HTC Multifunction Audio Cable provides the best audio of all.

Nagual 01-30-2009 03:38 PM

Re: Improve A2DP sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnell (Post 678466)
You know your A2DP sound quality can be improved to sound even better, if you use a utility like SKTools to increase the settings.

Although the 3.5mm jack on the wired HTC Multifunction Audio Cable provides the best audio of all.

Like what settings, for instance?

darnell 01-30-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 679111)
Like what settings, for instance?

Using SKTools:
  • Click "Tune Up"
  • On the tabs that appear on the bottom, scroll till you see the one named "A2DP" and select it.
  • There are 4 settings, but I usually only adjusts the first 2 of them on the Touch Pro.
    SBC bitpool: It is low by default (or something not near the best from what I recall when I changed mine), when you select this setting SKTools tells you what settings you might want to adjust it to for your preference of keeping it at Low or changing it to Medium, High or Excellent audio quality.
    Maximum bitpool: It is low by default and can be set up to 80, but I usually keep it the same as my SBC bitpool setting. I'm not sure how much it might help to set it higher, but I guess anyone can try different settings for their personal preference.
    Minimum bitpool: I just keep that as the default of 14. I'm not sure if changing it would help, but I guess someone could play with it to see if they prefer a different setting.
    Use Joint Stereo: This is defaulted to YES and you want to keep it that way. It's really the reason the BT audio sounds acceptable even when bitpool settings are low.
I've found that once you up the SBC and Maximum bitpool settings, you'll never want to go back to them being low again :D .

It still does not match the 3.5mm jack sound quality, but upping the settings makes a very noticeable difference in BT audio quality. And higher settings obviously require more device resources.

jmorton10 02-01-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnell (Post 679839)
I've found that once you up the SBC and Maximum bitpool settings, you'll never want to go back to them being low again :D .

It still does not match the 3.5mm jack sound quality, but upping the settings makes a very noticeable difference in BT audio quality. And higher settings obviously require more device resources.

Yea, I made those two changes also & I agree 100%.

I use a Motorola S9HD stereo BT headset all day every day at work to listen to either mp3's or Sirius & this makes a noticeable difference.

When I am in my truck, I use the 3.5 to hook to my killer sound system even though I could also use BT......

~John

Nagual 02-03-2009 01:42 PM

Thanks darnell. Maybe I'll give SKTools a try - the only thing I notice sometimes with the Jabra on headphones is some crunchiness in the highs, which I don't like. Too bad it doesn't allow some kind of volume boost too.

darnell 02-03-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 686796)
...the only thing I notice sometimes with the Jabra on headphones is some crunchiness in the highs, which I don't like. Too bad it doesn't allow some kind of volume boost too.

I've noticed that BT audio no matter what the A2DP settings are does have some odd feedback sounds depending on the pitch of certain tones.

As far as volume, all you can do is turn it up on the device and press the "+" button on the BT3030 until you reach the max. Maybe there are some volume hacks out there I'm not aware of. I use noise canceling headphones, so I don't need to turn the volume up much. (I'm telling ya, once you get a good set of noise canceling headphones, you'll ignore everybody trying to talk to you when you're listening to music :D . They can even silence my wife until she gets close up :D .)