PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Charging the Touch Pro - weird behavior

Seems that if I have it plugged in to charge but use certain functions while it is, it stops charging before it's done.

And lately, it seems to stop charging no matter what, unless I put it on "standby" I guess you call it (quick tap of the power button). Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable doesn't even seem to do anything.

Is there some setting that causes this behavior? Or is it a hardware/WM bug? I might have read something about this issue on here but I can find that needle in this haystack right now...thanks.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

acteon is a n00b
Re: Charging the Touch Pro - weird behavior

Hi,
The Touch Pro will stop charging when the battery and the device exceeds a certain temperature. When charging try disabling Wi-Fi and bluetooth and it should help to keep your device cooler. If that doesn't help then you may have a defective device. My device will stop charging also but that is when I am over Wi-Fi or watching Sprint TV for awhile and it heats up.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC6700, Treo 700wx, Touch Pro

CountryDevil is keeping up the good workCountryDevil is keeping up the good workCountryDevil is keeping up the good work

Is this when you are using the included wall charger dongle or when connected to a PC?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

acteon is a n00b

This is when I am using the included Wall Charger. During my use with it plugged into the PC I have not ran into this issue. If it stops charging when it is plugged into a PC it may be a setting for the battery. If this is your problem, go to the battery settings and then uncheck when my device is turned on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by acteon View Post
Hi,
The Touch Pro will stop charging when the battery and the device exceeds a certain temperature. When charging try disabling Wi-Fi and bluetooth and it should help to keep your device cooler. If that doesn't help then you may have a defective device. My device will stop charging also but that is when I am over Wi-Fi or watching Sprint TV for awhile and it heats up.
Thanks. I did suspect it could be temp-related, although I'm skeptical I'll try what you suggest - maybe also give it more ventilation near its surfaces.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

It's not temp related - the included charger charges in slow mode (at the same speed when you plug into a non-oem charger or a usb port), and slow mode on this and the mogul have suffered from both not ever topping off all the way, and refusing to charge if you are doing anything (it will think it is full even at 10% battery sometimes).

Try using your mogul or touch oem charger - it will make a world of difference in both charging speed and topping off... The included charger not charging in rapid mode is one of my biggest complaints...

You can really see the difference if you install nuepower as it will tell you the power draw off the charger.

Last edited by holo; 11-01-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Can't Touch This...PRO TOO!
Carrier: Sprint4Life

dbldwn02 is keeping up the good workdbldwn02 is keeping up the good workdbldwn02 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
It's not temp related - the included charger charges in slow mode (at the same speed when you plug into a non-oem charger or a usb port), and slow mode on this and the mogul have suffered from both not ever topping off all the way, and refusing to charge if you are doing anything (it will think it is full even at 10% battery sometimes).

Try using your mogul or touch oem charger - it will make a world of difference in both charging speed and topping off... The included charger not charging in rapid mode is one of my biggest complaints...

You can really see the difference if you install nuepower as it will tell you the power draw off the charger.
It is true that the included charger only charges at normal usb power (400mA)

Most of the time it IS temp related. When I use WMWifiRouter and charge it at the same time, the phone will not charge and will die. I have to take the battery cover off and open the keyboard to keep it cool. This works wonders for me. It doesn't shut off then.

I'm also using a Walmart charger for mine. I tried both my old touch and current walmart charger. They both heat the device up when I'm using it heavily.

Last edited by dbldwn02; 11-01-2008 at 10:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Well, I'm solving this dilemma by charging from the computer USB port. It actually works out better in terms of logistics except for ONE curious thing I wonder if anyone else has noticed:

The memory card can't be accessed on the TP when USB linked to a computer. I found this out because for the life of me I couldn't understand why none of the music on my mem card was seen by the music player. Soon as I undock it, it's back. (I don't use that awful ActiveSync crap that requires Outlook, BTW, just a direct disk-type setup.)

Wonder if there's any workaround for this...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Noob
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Yeah, when it pops up asking what mode to use, tell it activesync instead of disk mode. In disk mode, it unmounts your SD card from windows mobile and mounts it on your PC, in activesync mode it's the normal old behavior.

Also, how do you know it stops charging? Have you just left it plugged in sitting there all night to see?

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
Yeah, when it pops up asking what mode to use, tell it activesync instead of disk mode. In disk mode, it unmounts your SD card from windows mobile and mounts it on your PC, in activesync mode it's the normal old behavior.

Also, how do you know it stops charging? Have you just left it plugged in sitting there all night to see?
the charge animation on the dpad stops

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro