PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   HTC Touch PRO running GPS Google Navigator v3.4 NOT "Google Maps" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42321)

Gregory Lima 10-30-2008 08:29 PM

HTC Touch PRO running GPS Google Navigator v3.4 NOT "Google Maps"

This appears to be a decent alternative to TOM TOM if you dont want to load 2gb of maps onto your SD card. It also only worked only after setting the options to COM4 and 9600 baud.

Best thing about it is that it works well and points the map in the direction of travel. Has anyone gotten google maps app to do this as well?

It also lays a track down, even though its a little fatt and red. I used to like the single dotted line on the garmin quest i used to own.

anyway here is the video of it in action. Enjoy, and thanks for all the positive feedback on the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsmEmOwUKw

Jackalo 10-30-2008 09:01 PM

Re: HTC Touch PRO running GPS Google Navigator v3.4 NOT "Google Maps"

$60 for something that uses a service Google provides for free makes me sick. If it were $30, I'd buy it. If it were free, I'd use it religiously.

badutahboy 10-30-2008 09:51 PM

Is Google navigator a google product, or is it a 3rd party developer who uses google maps info with his front end?

Taishar 10-30-2008 10:50 PM

That is pretty messed up to charge $60 for a piece of software that is based on a freely available service.

gobmonster 10-30-2008 11:18 PM

Well, its only feature above google maps is that it spins the map so that you are always facing up. Im not sure if that worth 60 bucks though

Jackalo 10-31-2008 12:32 AM

It is able to give turn by turn directions, but reading through their change log, they've had to address the problem of Google banning IP's that were constantly downloading map data. I'm sure the person who is writing the program will find themselves in legal trouble eventually with Google over this program, unless they're paying some percentage of that money to Google.

badutahboy 10-31-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackalo (Post 486984)
It is able to give turn by turn directions, but reading through their change log, they've had to address the problem of Google banning IP's that were constantly downloading map data. I'm sure the person who is writing the program will find themselves in legal trouble eventually with Google over this program, unless they're paying some percentage of that money to Google.

That's exactly why I asked if it's a google ap or a 3rd party release.. there's a clause in the google maps licensing agreement that says that you are only permitted to use it if your service is freely available to the public.. using their software in a for profit application definitely violates those terms

holo 10-31-2008 04:13 AM

I have tried this app a long time ago and it is the buggiest POS out there... It crashes frequently and just generally does not work at all. Also it is not made by google and I am surprised they have not been sued for putting the google brand on it.

Gregory Lima 11-04-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo (Post 487200)
I have tried this app a long time ago and it is the buggiest POS out there... It crashes frequently and just generally does not work at all. Also it is not made by google and I am surprised they have not been sued for putting the google brand on it.

Yep its buggy, pixely and crashes on exit.