PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Update: Hard-reset your Pro when you get it (conspiracy?) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42137)

ScrapMaker 10-29-2008 02:18 PM

Update: Hard-reset your Pro when you get it (conspiracy?)

Okay, basically, I think the phones are delivered in a non hard-resetted mode.

I just picked up a replacement today, and when the Best Buy representative pulled it out of the pretty box, and hit power, it only took about 5 seconds to get to the screen calibration. I was really confused, because I had my OLD Pro sitting on the desk that I had hard-reset about two minutes before she pulled open the new box, and it STILL had not got to this point.

Case in hand, I strongly recommend that you hard reset your phone once, twice, or even three times after you purchase it. You don't have to worry about re-activating, because that happens automatically.

What it CAN fix:
- SOME earpiece/speakerphone issues
- Keyboard lag
- Strange quirks, such as screen rotation issues, and other oddities...

How to do it:
Method 1:
Start > Settings > System > Clear Storage > 1234 > OK

Method 2:
- Turn the phone (completely) off with the power button.
- Push and hold the VOLUME DOWN button and the CENTER/OK button at the same time.
- While holding those two buttons down, push and hold the POWER BUTTON until you see the hard reset screen. Follow directions.

Method 3:
- Hold VOLUME DOWN, and CENTER/OK. Reset with the stylus, then immediately start holding the POWER BUTTON.

Method 3 is the fastest/easiest way I have found.

Thanks,

Steven

freeza 10-29-2008 02:30 PM

Re: PSA: Hard-reset your Pro when you get it

One of the first things I did after I got mine from best buy.

I wonder if that's why I haven't been experiencing any of the issues other people have.

At any rate, the only reason I DID hard reset is because the weather wasn't working and I figured a hard reset would fix it.

TurboFool 10-29-2008 02:35 PM

I haven't had any of these problems, honestly.

itouch24 10-29-2008 02:42 PM

i havent gotten mine as of yet .. but what is the process to hard reset this specific device.. i know each model has there own method...can u share how to hard reset the htc touch pro

ruskiyab 10-29-2008 02:44 PM

Power button + Volume Down + OK (center Dpad) + reset holw with the stylus. A littly tricky but not too bad

TurboFool 10-29-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskiyab (Post 483251)
Power button + Volume Down + OK (center Dpad) + reset holw with the stylus. A littly tricky but not too bad

I didn't think the reset button was part of the process. Just hold down the volume, OK, and then hit power.

itouch24 10-29-2008 02:49 PM

wow some process.. that would be the first hard reset i came across that doesnt use the reset button... can anyone confirm the hardreset process?.. reset button or not... seems there is a minor little conflict.. haha

uptown 10-29-2008 02:49 PM

I have not done a hard reset and I have had none of those issues.

On a side note I have had it since last thursday when best buy started selling it.

chedda_chez 10-29-2008 03:13 PM

ok ok ok ...im about to do the hard reset but how can i backup all my calender events and contacts. Active Sync doesnt do contacts does it.

-Chez

shellguy 10-29-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chedda_chez (Post 483331)
ok ok ok ...im about to do the hard reset but how can i backup all my calender events and contacts. Active Sync doesnt do contacts does it.

-Chez

Yes active sync should backup your contacts if you have outlook installed, which you should have if you ask me.

Shell