PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

phistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alternative GPS software?

Would it be possible to install an alternative gps software such as tomtom or iGo and it would work on the touch pro? Anybody know if there's a built-in gps receiver? I'm on the sero 500min sprint plan and I don't think I can use the built-in gps software that sprint provides...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Re: Alternative GPS software?

Yes, several people have tomtom and igo running just fine, and I have garmin installed and working great.... Also gmaps works fine with GPS...

There are several threads about this already, and the GPS inside the touch pro works just like the GPS from any other device.

You are correct, SERO does not include use of the sprint navigation software...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

CedricMordrin is a n00b

I have iGO 8 installed and working w/ the built in GPS and works much better than it did on my apache. Much smoother and less lag.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

phistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

sorry...I did a search using "gps" but it's under 4 characters so it wouldn't work...So if im on the Sero plan and I installed iGO 8, would I be charged extra for data usage? or does that only applies to the "sprint navigation software"?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Let's get an opinion going on (with possibly a poll) of what the community thinks is the best GPS software to use (iGo, TomTom, Garmin, iGuidance, etc etc)
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Let's get an opinion going on (with possibly a poll) of what the community thinks is the best GPS software to use (iGo, TomTom, Garmin, iGuidance, etc etc)
Garmin is much better than tomtom or iguidance in my opinion. I have not had luck getting igo installed on my mogul due to what I think was memory issues. I have not tried it yet on the touch pro. Garmin has free traffic though and built in google local search in the newer versions (comes in very handy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
sorry...I did a search using "gps" but it's under 4 characters so it wouldn't work...So if im on the Sero plan and I installed iGO 8, would I be charged extra for data usage? or does that only applies to the "sprint navigation software"?
You will not be charged for using any other software. SERO includes free data and also one of the main features of igo/garmin/tomtom is that they store the maps on your microSD card so they are not downloading them anyways. They will only connect to the internet for traffic and such.... The $10/mo fee for sprint navigation is specifically for use of their software...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
LOL. The times that's been done. It's all good though. I've personally tried all and I can honestly say that Garmin is the most down to Earth GPS for North American users. Does pretty much everything you need. Garmin also keeps their maps up to date, have the best POI database I've yet to see and there's the ability to add custom POIs. The only problem is Garmin releases its maps on encrypted media so it might be hard to move the maps onto the storage card of your choice.

iGo/Oncourse is a step up with 3D maps and other cool features like using in conjunction with a TMC receiver for live traffic updates (probably not too popular in the U.S.). The display is all around much fancier and includes more stats related to trip. Also useful is the compass function. iGo is nice if you're a frequent global traveler because they make maps for many European and even middle eastern countries. The tradeoff is it's a memory hog. Don't plan on running this unless you have at least 32 megs of RAM free, possibly even more.

iGuidance in my opinion is a mediocre GPS software. It worked fine with me, but it's lack of customization leaves it bland and much to be desired. A good feature that people enjoy with this one is text to speech engine which reads out street names, etc.

I have only used TomTom 6 (current is TomTom 7), but that was another 'decent' GPS app. It was stable, fast and easy with one handed use similar to all the others. My only concern was that it's POI database was lacking. It did, however, support custom POI's and categories. One cool feature were all the cool sounds you could load it with anything from Homer Simpson to C3PO :P
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I've used Destinator, TomTom, iGo, and iguidance on my axim ppc but never tried Garmin and I really like iGuidance...it seems to be very accurate . With iGo it seems to be just a bit off but not much...Maybe I'll give Garmin a try..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work

Do either the iGO 8 or Garmin GPS software support text to speech directions?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work

I don't think out of the box, but there are hacks for both.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro