PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: Alternative GPS software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer View Post
LOL. The times that's been done. It's all good though. I've personally tried all and I can honestly say that Garmin is the most down to Earth GPS for North American users. Does pretty much everything you need. Garmin also keeps their maps up to date, have the best POI database I've yet to see and there's the ability to add custom POIs. The only problem is Garmin releases its maps on encrypted media so it might be hard to move the maps onto the storage card of your choice.

iGo/Oncourse is a step up with 3D maps and other cool features like using in conjunction with a TMC receiver for live traffic updates (probably not too popular in the U.S.). The display is all around much fancier and includes more stats related to trip. Also useful is the compass function. iGo is nice if you're a frequent global traveler because they make maps for many European and even middle eastern countries. The tradeoff is it's a memory hog. Don't plan on running this unless you have at least 32 megs of RAM free, possibly even more.

iGuidance in my opinion is a mediocre GPS software. It worked fine with me, but it's lack of customization leaves it bland and much to be desired. A good feature that people enjoy with this one is text to speech engine which reads out street names, etc.

I have only used TomTom 6 (current is TomTom 7), but that was another 'decent' GPS app. It was stable, fast and easy with one handed use similar to all the others. My only concern was that it's POI database was lacking. It did, however, support custom POI's and categories. One cool feature were all the cool sounds you could load it with anything from Homer Simpson to C3PO :P

Thanks for that mini review.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Epic

In The Office is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Since we're on this topic, I wonder if someone can tell me why folks would use the Sprint software (and it's monthly fee) in the first place, given that there are (apparently?) some freeware programs out there, and a number of programs which I gather require simply a one time purchase.

Is there some advantage to it, or are those here who are using it doing so because it is already included in the price of their plan?

I am out of contract, and trying to see if I can get the service added by retention at a reduced rate; is it worth even trying, or do the other programs trump the monthly Sprint Navigation fee?

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Office View Post
Since we're on this topic, I wonder if someone can tell me why folks would use the Sprint software (and it's monthly fee) in the first place, given that there are (apparently?) some freeware programs out there, and a number of programs which I gather require simply a one time purchase.

Is there some advantage to it, or are those here who are using it doing so because it is already included in the price of their plan?

I am out of contract, and trying to see if I can get the service added by retention at a reduced rate; is it worth even trying, or do the other programs trump the monthly Sprint Navigation fee?

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated. Many thanks.
I've used Sprint's navigation service on a my small clamshell sanyo. I was very impressed. Latest maps, live traffic info, a very comprehensive POI database with phone numbers. It also allows you to call in a location with some phone number, it also allows you to preplan trips using their online Sprint Navigation manager. I'm guessing the monthly fees to sustain server costs, let alone the compilation of maps, etc.

The only two freeware "GPS" apps I'm aware of are Google Maps and Live search. These also download map information but don't keep it on device. They're just as functional as Sprint Nav. maybe except for pre-planning part. They're not full blown GPS apps as they don't have the feel of the touch screen functionality of the true GPS maps. True GPS maps also have localized map therefore no dependence on a data plan/internet. I would also say using such 'freeware' GPS or even Sprint Nav. drain the battery seeing that there's a constant data connection so it wouldn't be ideal to run them without a charger. Though, even GPS using agps coordinates draws battery charge too, but I'm guessing not as much as the former. The downside of one time purchase GPS is that you might have to eventually update maps especially if you're a frequent commuter. Also POI are sometimes out of date and uploading new ones to the device require extra steps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc tp
Carrier: sprint

ymarker is a n00b

I'm on SERO 500 and I used the Sprint Navigation program. It didn't say there was going to be a charge for when I clicked on the app. Are you guys sure about the $10 fee?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
I'm on SERO 500 and I used the Sprint Navigation program. It didn't say there was going to be a charge for when I clicked on the app. Are you guys sure about the $10 fee?
Yeah there is definitely a 10$ a month fee for using Sprint Nav... should be.

I would look at your next months bill and see. Let us know if you get charged.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch pr0

uptown is just getting started

For now I have just been using google maps. Gets the job done until I can read what everyone else likes and find a version(free) of it online(torrents).
Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

apex seals is becoming a great contributor

google maps
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work

This is a pretty cool gps app and free. I just saw it today http://www.amazegps.com/index.php?page=home&language=en
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

phistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regularphistyle is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've tried amazegps but didn't really like it much...it's decent for a free gps software though...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

rhinohumper is a n00b

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I can't seem to get Google Maps to track my location on-screen.
It tracks my location, but it won't stay centered over where I am at that particular moment in time.
Is there a setting that I have to change to get this to work? I GPS is enabled, it knows where I am, it just doesn't stay centered over my vehicle.

Help?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro