PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Buying the TP on a new line and then cancelling... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42096)

chancellar 10-29-2008 10:46 AM

Buying the TP on a new line and then cancelling...

Hi all,

I'm sorry to ask this newb question but I searched around and couldn't quite find the answer. I'm a current Sprint SERO customer but am not eligible for an upgrade since I bought a BB curve in May. I was thinking about opening a 2nd line of service to get the $299 and then using the best buy 20% coupon. My questions are:

1) What would happen if I signed for the 2nd line and bought the phone at Best buy and then called up Sprint w/in the inital 30 days and cancelled the service? What if I kept the phone?

2) If I cancel the phone outside the initial 30 days, what penalties would I incur?
-As far as I can tell, I'd be paying 250 or so out the door (2yr contract + 20% off) and I'd likely have to pay an ETF of 200 dollars if I waited til after the 30 days of service? 200+ 250 = 450 which is roughly the anticipated out of contract price from Sprint (around 470?).

3) I've heard talk of buying a Touch pro on Ebay and then using Microsoft's Case Back. How does the MS Cash back work? Do they send you a check?

Many thanks, I really want to try the TP but am trying to figure out the best way to get one.

hibby50 10-29-2008 10:49 AM

Re: Buying the TP on a new line and then cancelling...

you would have to pay 200 early termination

Baffles 10-29-2008 10:56 AM

Sprint charges 579 or 599 for the device, MIR and savings I believe require some kind of new contract or upgrade eligibility. So if you got away with doing this, paying $250 then paying $200 ETF, $450 for the phone isn't bad.

chancellar 10-29-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 482699)
Sprint charges 579 or 599 for the device, MIR and savings I believe require some kind of new contract or upgrade eligibility. So if you got away with doing this, paying $250 then paying $200 ETF, $450 for the phone isn't bad.

Yeah, thats why I'm curious if buying it on a 2nd line and then cancelling a month later would be worth the savings? I assume I'd have to also pay 1 month's service too so I'd throw that in there. Maybe an activation fee as well?

250 (BB price and 20% coupon) + 200 (ETF) + 50 (about month of service) still about 500 bucks. Not terrible I guess.

Does this seem right?

chancellar 10-29-2008 12:13 PM

Has anyone done something similar?

SprintTouch08 10-29-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 482699)

If you cancel they charge you the full price of the phone (if you dont return it) plus the $200.

badutahboy 10-29-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 (Post 482910)
If you cancel they charge you the full price of the phone (if you dont return it) plus the $200.

I'm pretty sure that's not true... The entire reason ETF's haven't been overturned by the FCC and FTC is because of the carriers claims that they are required because of phone subsidies.. If they can charge an ETF AND charge you full retail for the phone, you'd have an open and shut case to eliminate ETF's.

This whole issue was discussed in the california supreme court last year, and the FTC has reviewed it numerous times.

lweisenb 10-29-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 (Post 482910)

He said after the 30 days. Bestbuy would not accept the phone back after the 30 days, and all he should be responsible for is the etf.

chancellar 10-29-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badutahboy (Post 482927)
I'm pretty sure that's not true... The entire reason ETF's haven't been overturned by the FCC and FTC is because of the carriers claims that they are required because of phone subsidies.. If they can charge an ETF AND charge you full retail for the phone, you'd have an open and shut case to eliminate ETF's.

This whole issue was discussed in the california supreme court last year, and the FTC has reviewed it numerous times.

That sounds logical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lweisenb (Post 482931)
He said after the 30 days. Bestbuy would not accept the phone back after the 30 days, and all he should be responsible for is the etf.

Yeah I'm thinking even if they charge me a month of service as well, the total cost should come out to around 500 dollars. Still cheaper than Sprint's out of contract price I think, assuming they charge around 560?

badutahboy 10-29-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chancellar (Post 483374)
That sounds logical.

Yeah I'm thinking even if they charge me a month of service as well, the total cost should come out to around 500 dollars. Still cheaper than Sprint's out of contract price I think, assuming they charge around 560?

I'd just email Ecare and complain about the mogul. I did that and they gave me a $150 discount, no strings attached.

That makes it cheaper, and significantly less hassle than buying it on a 2nd line