PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How's the web surfing experience? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42040)

pufftissue 10-28-2008 10:15 PM

How's the web surfing experience?

Hi,

Besides the real estate increase of 640x480, what does the opera browser enable you to do? How iphone-like is the experience? That's the only mobile web that I've ever used to deem usable. Is it as fast as using the iphone or is there a huge lag when dragging your finger around pages and double tapping to zoom in, etc?

Certs 10-28-2008 10:18 PM

Re: How's the web surfing experience?

It not as fast as safari, but faster than the beta builds that are manually installed on older phones. Very usable, but nothing can be compared to Safari yet imo.

nerdtalker 10-28-2008 10:20 PM

I'd venture to say it's as good if not better than safari. Opera does a nice job resizing inline text so you can read it by only scrolling up and down, and the higher resolution screen does make a difference.

I don't know why safari is such a gold standard, I always make it crash one way or another in the apple store. I really like the TP browsing experience. Never had issues with it.

Certs 10-28-2008 10:23 PM

As you said, in the Apple store. Mobil Safari kicks butt, but it still wasn't enough for me to keep the phone ;)

TurboFool 10-28-2008 11:02 PM

Best mobile browser I've ever used. I'll admit that Safari seems overall smoother, but much less stable. Opera on this phone is fantastic.

gladesmellzgood 10-29-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 482024)
Best mobile browser I've ever used. I'll admit that Safari seems overall smoother, but much less stable. Opera on this phone is fantastic.

Especially with flashlight 3.1 lets see mobile safari do flash in browser

Riley 10-29-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood (Post 482318)
Especially with flashlight 3.1 lets see mobile safari do flash in browser

can you load flashlight 3.1 and run it with the stock opera loaded on this device. i thought you needed to use opera build 1957 and up for this to work. That would be awesome if flash worked as well!

gladesmellzgood 10-29-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyd5 (Post 482325)
can you load flashlight 3.1 and run it with the stock opera loaded on this device. i thought you needed to use opera build 1957 and up for this to work. That would be awesome if flash worked as well!

the stock opera you have is 2316 so with flashlite you can view flash sites look for the link in the other thread talking about flash i posted it there

dew.man 10-29-2008 05:01 AM

The Opera browser is very usable on the TP and Diamond. When you go to a page, it comes up zoomed out so you can see the whole thing. You can double-tap the screen to zoom all the way in, or use the "wheel" to zoom in slowly to any level you want. I find this perfect in conjunction with the higher resolution screen as you often don't need to zoom all the way in to be able to read the text.

Phreddo 10-29-2008 09:35 AM

I use opera on the wii as well, and both versions seem to have a semi-intelligent zooming feature that seems to expand the block your focused on. so rather than just raw zooming, it seems to keep the text in-frame.
maybe that's just my imagination.
but i'm liking it so far.