PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Is this how the hardware buttons work? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42037)

ScrapMaker 10-28-2008 09:58 PM

Is this how the hardware buttons work?

To me, when I am pushing D-Pad left, and home/end, I feel like I am pushing the same phyiscal button...

So, it seems that we only have four physical buttons on the bottom.

D-pad up button, d-pad down button, home/send/d-pad left button, and the back/end/d-pad right button.

Seriously, I think they are the same button, but it uses the capacitive feature to tell WHERE on the button you are pushing. That's how it determines whether you mean to move right/end/go back/etc...

yup, I am right. I just messed with it some more. If you put your thumb over the back/end key, covering both, and push in.. it thinks you are hitting d-pad right.

Interesting idea, but I have had several times where the phone thought I meant to do something else... like many times I have to hit end a few times, just because it thought I hit right or back...

Just an interesting thing to think about! :)

chedda_chez 10-28-2008 10:03 PM

Re: Is this how the hardware buttons work?

why would you put your finger there though? yu have ALOT of space on the actual back key itself...and to the right of it. go there for back and the same for the others...outside is the actuall buttons.

thats just my $.02

-Chez

TurboFool 10-28-2008 10:05 PM

Yeah, I pieced that together over the weekend. Kind of interesting and kind of clever.

ScrapMaker 10-28-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chedda_chez (Post 481915)
why would you put your finger there though? yu have ALOT of space on the actual back key itself...and to the right of it. go there for back and the same for the others...outside is the actuall buttons.

thats just my $.02

-Chez

The back/home key are fine with me... but the d-pad is not as easy to use as most other phones...

One downfall to this method, is you lose the ability to push some of these buttons at the same time.

Has anyone noticed that pushing DIRECTLY on the rim of the circle does not work very well? That's how it instructs you to use it in the TP users manual... but I push much further away, so that it's actually someone easy to push, but then I run into the problem where some of my pushes are recognized as home/end pushes...

Yes I'll agree it's clever, but I don't know how practical it is, versus just having little buttons underneath...

Certs 10-28-2008 10:22 PM

After using the same controls on the Diamond for a few weeks, I can say that you get used to it. I hated it at first and don't even think about it anymore. But yeah, for things like NES emulators, pressing 2 directions on the D-pad does not look to be easy

ScrapMaker 10-28-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattycerts (Post 481958)
After using the same controls on the Diamond for a few weeks, I can say that you get used to it. I hated it at first and don't even think about it anymore. But yeah, for things like NES emulators, pressing 2 directions on the D-pad does not look to be easy

guess we could use the tiny arrow keys on the keyboard... which I don't find myself using much--although I should, because they are easier to press...

Cicatrize 10-28-2008 11:10 PM

I've also noticed that the Home, Send, Back, and End keys do not respond to just pressure. They must be pressed by a finger. I tried pressing them with the stylus and it doesn't register. It usually registers as a left or right d-pad click.

I think these four buttons are heat sensitive.

[sammich] 10-28-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 482045)
I've also noticed that the Home, Send, Back, and End keys do not respond to just pressure. They must be pressed by a finger. I tried pressing them with the stylus and it doesn't register. It usually registers as a left or right d-pad click.

I think these four buttons are heat sensitive.

They're capacitive :wink:

Cicatrize 10-28-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 482062)
They're capacitive :wink:

Oh, right. It's 2008. Sorry lol

ggoldfingerd 10-29-2008 12:03 AM

Good find, it would be interesting if the phone could accept inputs without pushing the buttons in, but then again, there might be to may accidents. Or better yet, have them be hardware buttons for other programs where you just have to touch it for a certain time frame. Then have them act normally when you press a key in.