PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro - Need Help With Email...

Can anybody help me with the stock email program on the Touch Pro, or recommend something better? I am coming from a 755P with Chattermail, which was a great program. It allowed for IMAP Idle instant email with Gmail, and allowed me to customize the from/reply to fields. In other words, I use Gmail as the backbone for my business, but the message looks like it is coming from and you are replying to another address. I thought this was pretty standard functionality on new programs, but cannot find any way to do this on the stock email program on the Pro. I know it does not support IDLE without additional help, but the other stuff is driving me nuts. Any help, or recommendations on programs that can perform these tasks and are free or reasonably priced would be really appreciated. Thx
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Touch Pro - Need Help With Email...

As far as I'm aware you just need to edit the e-mail address field in the setup of the account and that becomes the reply-to address.

Out of curiosity, have you considered using Google Hosted Services for your e-mail on your domain? I used to use my web host's e-mail functionality, but then they added an easy way to switch over to Gmail for the e-mail (it's not hard to do it without help, but that was my motivation), and it's been great. My site's still hosted through my provider, but the domain MX records point to Google, so now I use the Gmail web interface for all the mail, and I have their full IMAP support. And doesn't require me to do anything fancy with reply-to fields. Might be worth looking into.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have two separate Gmail accts I need to get working, one personal, one for a side business...ideally looking for some way to get my from/reply-to fields fixed in the stock program if possible...and maybe IMAP IDLE with a third party app...

Can anyone tell me if they've figure out a way to change the account name in the stock program? ie, if my gmail acct is xxx@gmail.com, how do I make it look like xxx@ibm.com in the from and reply-to fields, but have the program ping and send from gmail? This was super easy in the setup area on Chatteremail on my 755P, but can't figure it out yet on the HTC? Granted I'm new to Windows Mobile, so any suggestions would really be appreciated...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

But that's what I was just saying... change the e-mail address in the "e-mail address" field in the account settings. That should be your reply-to address.

Menu, Tools, Options, tap the account, Edit Account Setup, and change it in the very first field that shows up.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul and Touch Pro

mdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_c_s View Post
Can anybody help me with the stock email program on the Touch Pro, or recommend something better? I am coming from a 755P with Chattermail, which was a great program. It allowed for IMAP Idle instant email with Gmail, and allowed me to customize the from/reply to fields. In other words, I use Gmail as the backbone for my business, but the message looks like it is coming from and you are replying to another address. I thought this was pretty standard functionality on new programs, but cannot find any way to do this on the stock email program on the Pro. I know it does not support IDLE without additional help, but the other stuff is driving me nuts. Any help, or recommendations on programs that can perform these tasks and are free or reasonably priced would be really appreciated. Thx
I know exactly what your dealing with. I used chattermail myself when I had my treo. It is still by far the greatest mobile email client ever made. None can touch it. It was hard to give up palm os just because of that program.

However some of this pain can be eased by flexmail 4.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/produ...php?p_id=mail&

I know its not free but chattermail wasnt either last I knew and if you need TRUE IMAP IDLE support for alot of accounts with custom folder syncing..etc..then flexmail is the next best client I've used so far.

Flexmail will do all you are describing. It can be a mem hog but with the touch pro thats no longer an issue really.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx

takedown is a n00b

There was a post about IMAP IDLE elsewhere in this forum, a simple app enables it on the Touch Pro. The post could have been at Sprintusers, can't remember offhand.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

gladesmellzgood is keeping up the good workgladesmellzgood is keeping up the good workgladesmellzgood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to gladesmellzgood Send a message via Yahoo to gladesmellzgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown View Post
There was a post about IMAP IDLE elsewhere in this forum, a simple app enables it on the Touch Pro. The post could have been at Sprintusers, can't remember offhand.
here is the link bro but flexmail will def solve your probs

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=404515
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks guys...really appreciate the feedback...changing the email account in the main stock program does not work last I tried because it then tries to log in to my ghost account, not gmail...sounds like I'll need to pony up for Flexmail 4 assuming I decide to keep the phone...if I can get Flexmail up and running well on a trial basis, I think it would probably persuade me to stick with the Pro...my 755p was falling apart and had terrible lag issues...there are so many positives to the Pro (Rev A, GPS, wi-fi, etc) compared to the 2 year old Treo, I think I can deal with the issues at launch knowing the community will create most of the fixes I need...
Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Noob
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

I think you're going about this the hard way. I used to do something similar, then I switched to google apps (gmail for your domain) and have never looked back, as TurboFool said.

Is there any reason you don't want to take that route?

Also, you should be able to set your default reply-to settings in your settings at gmail, and any mail you send using their smtp should follow those settings.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Does google apps integrate with the stock email somehow, or is it an internet based email solution? I'm still open to suggestions at this point and really appreciate the advice... Thx

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro