PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint Carrier)
Carrier: Sprint

Gregory Lima is keeping up the good workGregory Lima is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Screen Flipping Problem?

I have had this happen on the first day, i figured it was the accelerometer kicking in.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

mharvey is becoming a great contributor

It seems that rotation is controlled by the position of the keyboard and not the accelerometer for most of the apps (like the Today screen, Text Messaging, Notes, etc). There are only a few apps that seem to use the accelerometer (Opera, Sprint TV, photo viewer). Even then the accelerometer is overridden by the keyboard if you open it. If the keyboard is open the application should switch to landscape mode, no matter what position you hold the phone.

In my case the screen would flip endlessly when the keyboard was open. I could also see the keyboard backlight flipping on and off as the mode was flipping. I believe that the fault was a bad switch or position sensor in the keyboard. The Touch Pro that did this went back to Best Buy and I have not had the problem at all with the new one.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

TheLaxPlayer is a n00b

Alright, looks like it'll be going back to BB when I get a chance. Is there a way to save the contacts to the memory card or easy way to back them up onto a computer without outlook? I don't want to have to type them all back in manually
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

search for PIM Backup 2.8
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

My problem has done it without Opera (If my memory is correct) and it corrects itself after a soft reset.

Don't know what the soft reset does, but it leads me to believe it is not a hardware issue...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

mharvey is becoming a great contributor

When I had my first Touch Pro it I would have the flipping problem when ever the keyboard was out, for a while. And they the problem would mysteriously stop and the phone would work as it should, but only for a short time. I tried soft resets, hard resets and I could not find a pattern to the problem. For a while I thought it might be a software problem but in the end I returned the phone and got a new one. The new one has not had the problem once.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Does anyone else have the problem where if they are holding their phone in landscape in Opera, and they open&close the keyboard, that the phone auto-rotates the screen to portrait?

The only way I can make it go back is to rotate the phone, hold it in portrait for 5 seconds, then switch back to landscape.

It gets me wondering, because the GSensor has a refreshtime setting in the registry. I wonder if we have it update more than every 500ms if it will work better... I know it would definitely help out in games/etc.

Unless that setting is changed on-the-fly by applications... But I tried the Diamond Hologram, and it seemed to only update every second or so... unless I held my finger over the okay key (capactive contact only.)
Old 10-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker

My screen flipping issue was not resolved with a hard Reset.

Also, I opened the keyboard as a test tonight and left the phone sitting with the keyboard out. It eventually went to sleep. About 15 minutes later it work up, and the screen started flipping...

I can't tell if it is a software or hardware, but I am leaning to software, because with the experiment, I never touched the phone, it did it on it's own...
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
My screen flipping issue was not resolved with a hard Reset.

Also, I opened the keyboard as a test tonight and left the phone sitting with the keyboard out. It eventually went to sleep. About 15 minutes later it work up, and the screen started flipping...

I can't tell if it is a software or hardware, but I am leaning to software, because with the experiment, I never touched the phone, it did it on it's own...
If the sensor is bad, it could be feeding inaccurate data to the software.

Have you tried doing several hard-resets? I'm not kidding when I say that I normally perform at least 3 when flashing to a new ROM...
Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I think I did two, one by accident... I might try another tomorrow... But the setup time is killing me...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro