PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Lurker

FuManChuu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First time WinMo - How can you do this faster?

Alright... I'm going to put this out there up front. I so far hate this phone. As a bit of background, I've been a treo user for years. 650->700->755 (and i've fiddled with the 800 a bit). Palm OS is old, ugly, and desperately needs an upgrade... but man, its fast.

To send a text message, i hit the "message" hardkey, and "new" on the screen, immediately start typing a contact name, and be in the text in about 3 seconds in total.

Here (again, best I can tell, please let me know if there is a faster way to do things)... I slide the phone open, either hit the txt button, or hit "messages" on the front of the screen. Hit the right onscreen button "menu", hit new, start typing the name, then go down and msg. All told, its easily about 15 seconds... Is there any easier way? I mean, if I could get the "reply" button at the bottom of the message screen to just be "new", that would save me a step, but is there a faster way?

In a similar vein, contact searching in Palm OS was the same way. I hit the home screen, and type a couple letters on the contact name, and hit the center key, and boom, its dialing. Here, (assuming I want to use the hardkeys, which I do... not a fan of onscreen jazz). Slide the board open, start typing (lags quite a bit here, probably cause I have sizeable contacts), then i guess hit the screen where the name is displayed. Is there a physical button i can press when have narrowed it down to 1 contact?

How about alerts? Palm had a nice "alerts" screen that you could check fairly easily, and was defaulted when coming out of keyguard (which, speaking of keyguard, i love how this phone doesnt really have one).... How in lords name do i clear out all alerts? Do i really have to open outlook, and physically open every e-mail to make the yellow number in TF3D go away? Same thing with text messages...

And how about the fonts? It seems like every other text I open is a different font size... and that drives me nuts. Is there some touchscreen way that I'm changing the font size.... Can I somehow disable that?

Overall, TF3D is beautiful, and it is arguably pretty quick... But I'd trade in speed and ease of use over looks any day... and I'm starting to think this phone isn't for me :/

I'd appreciate any feedback anyones got, thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP
Re: First time WinMo - How can you do this faster?

Patience my friend. You will find the beauty of the phone is not what you got from Sprint but what you can get from here. These guys are already customizing this beast to make it 100% better than what Sprint gave us. Stay tuned and keep your eyes open and your mind open.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
Alright... I'm going to put this out there up front. I so far hate this phone. As a bit of background, I've been a treo user for years. 650->700->755 (and i've fiddled with the 800 a bit). Palm OS is old, ugly, and desperately needs an upgrade... but man, its fast.

To send a text message, i hit the "message" hardkey, and "new" on the screen, immediately start typing a contact name, and be in the text in about 3 seconds in total.

Here (again, best I can tell, please let me know if there is a faster way to do things)... I slide the phone open, either hit the txt button, or hit "messages" on the front of the screen. Hit the right onscreen button "menu", hit new, start typing the name, then go down and msg. All told, its easily about 15 seconds... Is there any easier way? I mean, if I could get the "reply" button at the bottom of the message screen to just be "new", that would save me a step, but is there a faster way?

In a similar vein, contact searching in Palm OS was the same way. I hit the home screen, and type a couple letters on the contact name, and hit the center key, and boom, its dialing. Here, (assuming I want to use the hardkeys, which I do... not a fan of onscreen jazz). Slide the board open, start typing (lags quite a bit here, probably cause I have sizeable contacts), then i guess hit the screen where the name is displayed. Is there a physical button i can press when have narrowed it down to 1 contact?

How about alerts? Palm had a nice "alerts" screen that you could check fairly easily, and was defaulted when coming out of keyguard (which, speaking of keyguard, i love how this phone doesnt really have one).... How in lords name do i clear out all alerts? Do i really have to open outlook, and physically open every e-mail to make the yellow number in TF3D go away? Same thing with text messages...

And how about the fonts? It seems like every other text I open is a different font size... and that drives me nuts. Is there some touchscreen way that I'm changing the font size.... Can I somehow disable that?

Overall, TF3D is beautiful, and it is arguably pretty quick... But I'd trade in speed and ease of use over looks any day... and I'm starting to think this phone isn't for me :/

I'd appreciate any feedback anyones got, thanks

ok Keygaurd yes. You can enable lock to be set to when you hold end down it automatically locks or presents you with another menu option including lock.

Touch flo does not have to be used and you can just enable txt messages as a today item. This should take you directly to your inbox, or in TF3D you can choose the inbox option.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Mbai2 is keeping up the good workMbai2 is keeping up the good work

Text message: In TF3D, thumb over to text messages and then menu>new.

Contacts: Press the talk button and use the onscreen number keypad to spell out the contact name T9 style. It will automatically display matching contacts below the entered digits display. Use the d-pad to scroll through the list.

Alerts: Click on the alert icon in the taskbar and select the proper alert. Then just tap menu>dismiss.

Keyguard: Search for SensorLock in Google and give it a whirl.

Last edited by Mbai2; 11-05-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

HamerPlyr is a n00b

For a new text, I go to the text tab in TF3D and hit the "new text message" icon that is just below and to the right of the "Messages" header. The blank new message opens with the curser blinking in the "To:" field, I flip to landscape, slide open the keyboard, and start typing. Proper contact name appears after 1 or 2 letters, then "enter" > "tab" to type the body of the text. Better?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

profroopchan is just getting started

Wow, I am a Palm user coming to the Touch Pro as well. I have had the TP 6 days now, and I have not activated it as yet. I am still using my Palm Centro. I enjoy playing with the TP though, I am just not ready to use it as yet, because I do no think that it is at the same level as my Centro. I want to customize it for me enough to be comparable to my Centro before switching over to it. I too have a HUGE problem with the speed of the speed of the TP. My Centro feels like it can run circles around the TP. I wanted to take it back after one day. It is growing on me more everyday, and everyone says to 'just give it some time'. I do love it though, but I am just not ready to switch over as yet until it gets some more customization.

I like this tread. It has given me some good hints.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Family Shared 1500 Min.

chedda_chez is keeping up the good workchedda_chez is keeping up the good workchedda_chez is keeping up the good work

^^^^^^^^^sale it to me

-Chez
Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

to clear the message counter icon in emial there is a cab file called inbox extender or something... here I'll post it (got it from someone on these boards). This adds the option in the menu tab to mark all as read.
NOTE: change file extention from "zip" to "cab" as it is a cab file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip InboxExtender.zip (7.6 KB, 15 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700>Treo 700wx>HTC Diamond

scidmail is becoming a great contributor

For the easiest way to dial out - use Voice Command. Hold down the send button (hard button bottom left looks like a phone with ends pointed up) for a couple of seconds. You'll hear a funny beep and see a small microphone appear at the top of the screen. Holding the phone at least 6 inches away from your mouth (more if your voice booms) say "Call firstname lastname at Work" You'll hear it reapeted back. If it's right, say yes and it starts dialing, if it's wrong, say no and try again. You'll get used to this very quickly, it's great when you're driving. No need to look at the screen. If you use a blue tooth headset you should be able to hold down the send button on the headset and do the same thing.

Barb
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The Touch Pro will probably never be as fast as Palms and or similarly designed devices. That said, Palms will probably never be as powerful or customizable as a WM phone either. it's a trade off that you have to decide when going into these things.

WM can be customized to make many things easier and it can be made to be faster but in reality it just won't be what you are expecting. If you expected to come from a Palm into a WM phone and it to be just like your Palm, then you should probably just send it back for a Palm. I am curious as to why you decided to change to a WB phone in the first place?

In no way is this ment to be disrespectful. I totally hear your points and can even relate to some degree but the change for me was made easier knowing already what the major differences between these phones are.

This is in some ways like trying to relate a Diesel truck to a VW bug They both allow you to get from point A to point B but one will pull stumps while doing it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro