PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you train your battery?
Get the phone, discharge it, charge it to full, repeat. 10 27.03%
Get the phone, charge it to full, discharge it, repeat. 7 18.92%
When charging the battery I make sure the phone is off. 3 8.11%
The battery should already be trained. 20 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tizzle Prizzle Deux
Carrier: MetroPCS

tguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To Train the Battery or not...

So with everyone getting their new phones, and with the battery being such a big issue with the Diamond and possibly the Raphael, I really think it would be beneficial to get a solid answer to the question:

Are we supposed to be training our batteries as soon as we get them, or are they already trained?
And if we do need to train them what is the way we should do it?
(Get the phone, drain it dead, charge it up to full, repeat)
(Get the phone, charge it up to full, drain it dead, repeat)
(Does it make a difference if it's turned on or off while charging)

Once we get a definite answer I will edit this post to have the best way to do it.

************UPDATE*************
Just got off the phone with Sam at HTC, and have a definite answer.
When you first get the phone the best way to train the battery is to drain the phone completely, then charge it up to full, discharge completely, charge it up to full, then you can use the phone like normal. He said that it doesn't matter if the phone is on or off when charging.

And here are some tips he gave me for increasing battery life:
2-3 Hours to charge the phone from drained to full charge. 2 Hours with the normal charger
Shouldn't need to charge the battery for more than 4 hours.
Don't leave the phone on any charger all the time.
Change backlight setting to auto-detect. (Says this setting enhances battery life most significantly)
Running applications in the background will drain battery.
Disabling wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc when not in use.

Last edited by tguerena; 10-27-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Contacted support from HTC for answer.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: To Train the Battery or not...

please search first. done this.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41373
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tizzle Prizzle Deux
Carrier: MetroPCS
Threadstarter

tguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartguerena is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That thread did not seem to have a definite answer. If I am out of line by posting this thread I apologize, but I kinda wanted to get a poll going about what the best way is. Thank you for the link to the other thread as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

i have to say that i don't think the battery is a problem on the touch pro. i had the diamond and it was very noticeable but not so much with the pro. i think once everyone can put the phone down (i know its hard people are playing with it every couple of seconds) they will see that the battery actual does last. i usually put my phone on the charger every night and my phone hasn't went dead on me yet.
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

My phone battery dies WAY too fast. I thought it was supposed to have a longer life than the Mogul?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Honestly, that thread seemed to beat the subject to death, and killed off the few misconceptions I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
i have to say that i don't think the battery is a problem on the touch pro. i had the diamond and it was very noticeable but not so much with the pro. i think once everyone can put the phone down (i know its hard people are playing with it every couple of seconds) they will see that the battery actual does last. i usually put my phone on the charger every night and my phone hasn't went dead on me yet.
lol, no. I haven't had time today to utilize my phone the way I have been and the battery's just as bad as I thought. But some people use their phones much more frequently than others on a NORMAL basis. Someone who makes and receives few calls, checks e-mail rarely, and occasionally browses the web will probably be fine. Some of us talk quite a bit for work, though, have Exchange and several IMAP accounts going, and then also expect it to be available for web and other uses. The current battery is simply insufficient for this.

Last edited by TurboFool; 10-27-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work

Don't fully cycle a lithium ion battery. Not good for it. Top it off as frequently as you can.

If you think the TP battery life is bad, try an 800w for a day. Now that's a tiny battery with no juice.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
Honestly, that thread seemed to beat the subject to death, and killed off the few misconceptions I had.

lol, no. I haven't had time today to utilize my phone the way I have been and the battery's just as bad as I thought. But some people use their phones much more frequently than others on a NORMAL basis. Someone who makes and receives few calls, checks e-mail rarely, and occasionally browses the web will probably be fine. Some of us talk quite a bit for work, though, have Exchange and several IMAP accounts going, and then also expect it to be available for web and other uses. The current battery is simply insufficient for this.

Indeed. I use my phones to listen to audiobooks, music, surf the web, get my RSS Feeds, work and personal emails. This battery is terrible. I need an extended battery soon.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
Indeed. I use my phones to listen to audiobooks, music, surf the web, get my RSS Feeds, work and personal emails. This battery is terrible. I need an extended battery soon.
Thankfully I have a Zune for some of that, because I'd be screwed otherwise. But yes, I want to be able to use this for everything, since that's how it was designed. It's a large part of my day-to-day activities and needs to last long enough.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity View Post
Don't fully cycle a lithium ion battery. Not good for it. Top it off as frequently as you can.

If you think the TP battery life is bad, try an 800w for a day. Now that's a tiny battery with no juice.
This is my first time hearing this, i usually hear that you should train your lithium ion battery buy completely discharging with use before completely recharging it and repeating this process. this is the first time iv ever heard anyone say that this is wrong and to top it off as frequently as you can... which one is right... now i have two conflicting story's lol.

good thing i didn't vote in this poll...

Last edited by gxnext; 10-27-2008 at 08:30 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro