PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   To Train the Battery or not... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41870)

tguerena 10-27-2008 05:54 PM

To Train the Battery or not...

So with everyone getting their new phones, and with the battery being such a big issue with the Diamond and possibly the Raphael, I really think it would be beneficial to get a solid answer to the question:

Are we supposed to be training our batteries as soon as we get them, or are they already trained?
And if we do need to train them what is the way we should do it?
(Get the phone, drain it dead, charge it up to full, repeat)
(Get the phone, charge it up to full, drain it dead, repeat)
(Does it make a difference if it's turned on or off while charging)

Once we get a definite answer I will edit this post to have the best way to do it.

************UPDATE*************
Just got off the phone with Sam at HTC, and have a definite answer.
When you first get the phone the best way to train the battery is to drain the phone completely, then charge it up to full, discharge completely, charge it up to full, then you can use the phone like normal. He said that it doesn't matter if the phone is on or off when charging.

And here are some tips he gave me for increasing battery life:
2-3 Hours to charge the phone from drained to full charge. 2 Hours with the normal charger
Shouldn't need to charge the battery for more than 4 hours.
Don't leave the phone on any charger all the time.
Change backlight setting to auto-detect. (Says this setting enhances battery life most significantly)
Running applications in the background will drain battery.
Disabling wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc when not in use.

darren.wlsn1 10-27-2008 06:00 PM

Re: To Train the Battery or not...

please search first. done this.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41373

tguerena 10-27-2008 06:04 PM

That thread did not seem to have a definite answer. If I am out of line by posting this thread I apologize, but I kinda wanted to get a poll going about what the best way is. Thank you for the link to the other thread as well.

Young_breedent 10-27-2008 06:07 PM

i have to say that i don't think the battery is a problem on the touch pro. i had the diamond and it was very noticeable but not so much with the pro. i think once everyone can put the phone down (i know its hard people are playing with it every couple of seconds) they will see that the battery actual does last. i usually put my phone on the charger every night and my phone hasn't went dead on me yet.

Existentialism 10-27-2008 06:11 PM

My phone battery dies WAY too fast. I thought it was supposed to have a longer life than the Mogul?

TurboFool 10-27-2008 06:13 PM

Honestly, that thread seemed to beat the subject to death, and killed off the few misconceptions I had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_breedent (Post 479580)
i have to say that i don't think the battery is a problem on the touch pro. i had the diamond and it was very noticeable but not so much with the pro. i think once everyone can put the phone down (i know its hard people are playing with it every couple of seconds) they will see that the battery actual does last. i usually put my phone on the charger every night and my phone hasn't went dead on me yet.

lol, no. I haven't had time today to utilize my phone the way I have been and the battery's just as bad as I thought. But some people use their phones much more frequently than others on a NORMAL basis. Someone who makes and receives few calls, checks e-mail rarely, and occasionally browses the web will probably be fine. Some of us talk quite a bit for work, though, have Exchange and several IMAP accounts going, and then also expect it to be available for web and other uses. The current battery is simply insufficient for this.

hippity.hoppity 10-27-2008 06:34 PM

Don't fully cycle a lithium ion battery. Not good for it. Top it off as frequently as you can.

If you think the TP battery life is bad, try an 800w for a day. Now that's a tiny battery with no juice.

Existentialism 10-27-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 479597)
Honestly, that thread seemed to beat the subject to death, and killed off the few misconceptions I had.

lol, no. I haven't had time today to utilize my phone the way I have been and the battery's just as bad as I thought. But some people use their phones much more frequently than others on a NORMAL basis. Someone who makes and receives few calls, checks e-mail rarely, and occasionally browses the web will probably be fine. Some of us talk quite a bit for work, though, have Exchange and several IMAP accounts going, and then also expect it to be available for web and other uses. The current battery is simply insufficient for this.

Indeed. I use my phones to listen to audiobooks, music, surf the web, get my RSS Feeds, work and personal emails. This battery is terrible. I need an extended battery soon.

TurboFool 10-27-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Existentialism (Post 479825)
Indeed. I use my phones to listen to audiobooks, music, surf the web, get my RSS Feeds, work and personal emails. This battery is terrible. I need an extended battery soon.

Thankfully I have a Zune for some of that, because I'd be screwed otherwise. But yes, I want to be able to use this for everything, since that's how it was designed. It's a large part of my day-to-day activities and needs to last long enough.

gxnext 10-27-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 479628)
Don't fully cycle a lithium ion battery. Not good for it. Top it off as frequently as you can.

If you think the TP battery life is bad, try an 800w for a day. Now that's a tiny battery with no juice.

This is my first time hearing this, i usually hear that you should train your lithium ion battery buy completely discharging with use before completely recharging it and repeating this process. this is the first time iv ever heard anyone say that this is wrong and to top it off as frequently as you can... which one is right... now i have two conflicting story's lol.

good thing i didn't vote in this poll...