PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

augie0041 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trouble charging via USB

I ran into this myself too. The battery discharges at a faster rate than it charges for me. So, even if I have it plugged into the wall or the usb to a computer, if I stay on the phone for too long, the phone dies on me.
This is definitely not good.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop

TF, for what its worth the stock charger doesn't even really do much justice for this thing. What I am finding, is that the device gets too warm too fast while plugged in and periodically cuts off the charger. My Mogul had this problem too but to a much lesser extent than what I am seeing with the Pro.

The stock charger delivers 1000mA to the battery whilst the max output for a PC USB port is going to be limited to 500mA. While tethering the device especially, I am finding that the Pro demands well over 500mA to power the CDMA radio, and this problem is much demanding while the device gets hotter. Plain and simple, its heat and high draw that are just too demanding on this phone.

Try downloading No2Chems NuePower control panel to see what your charge/discharge rates are. It will show you exactly what you need to see. Obviously if the discharge rate stays/peaks over the charge rate a lot, then I suppose its self explanatory.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
I want you to tell me exactly what I asked in the OP: Is anyone else noticing this same problem? So far all I got was people telling me what I already know: USB charges slower (and yet my Mogul charged much faster via USB), and there's a checkbox that I do NOT have checked to tell it not to charge via USB. All I'm wondering is if anyone else has the same trouble and/or has ideas as to what the problem is. Seems like a reasonable question. You've offered a couple possibilities, so already you're adding to the thread. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Feedback and ideas.
OK, since youve been so nice about it... I will let you know that I am having the same issue. USB charges extremely slowly unlike the touch. The battery drains so fast it is ridiculous. I plug it on USB and I might gain 10% in an hour, whereas with my touch I would get 40-50% easy. Also if I am using it while plugged in via USB (aka tethering) it also drained the battery. I am sitting at 20% and really havent used this phone much today, except for some push email. I hope this gets figured out.

Last edited by VW; 10-27-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Insatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to Insatiable

Yes, im experiencing the same problem.

and yes, i did all that you did.

i was down to one bar, its been hooked up for about an hr and a half.

i have 2 bars.

I disabled the beam thing (read on sprintusers that would help the battery), blue tooth is not on.

any other battery saving tips. Otherwise i will have to always have a charger with me and thats kinda inconvenient.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

I noticed the slow charge, but I was able to pick up 2 bars in 30-60 minutes.

I also have some power save features enabled... like automatic disconnect if unused for 2 minutes, only turn on blue tooth when needed, limit automatic data pulls (Weather updates, email downloads, etc), and tweaked the backlighting settings.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700 (Verizon HTC Apache)
Carrier: Only PPCGEEKS.com; I don't even pay monthly anymore.

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser

Any chances that maybe it is actually charging fully, where typical batteries (lithium) charge faster than they actually store, therefore decreasing battery expectancy? Try to leave it on the USB all night, and see if that charge lasts longer than the wall/AC charge does. I'll have this device next week, and really appreciate you bringing this to my attention before I get the device. I'll keep a look out for this thread, and that issue and let you know my results.
Thanks for your efforts (OP).
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,
Old 10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Insatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to Insatiable

I will try that. Its been about another 30 min and im up to 3 bars. gonna try some of the battery saving tips as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Thanks for the feedback and tip, guys. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, although I suppose it'd be nice to know mine's not working right and I could get it replaced to fix the problem, but at least if it's a community thing we might figure this out.

So far power in general's my only problem with the phone. I wasn't remotely surprised that battery life wasn't good, but I still assumed I could keep it maxed out by plugging it into my computer while at my desk. I'm wondering how much effect my car charger will have, too.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop

It will depend on what brand of car charger you bought. I have found that most (USB) car chargers are rated the same as a PC USB port, 500mA. You can find in some stores, a high capacity high amp car charger - and most of these put out the 1000mA that your factory wall charger do.

I have also seen a sort of multiplexer for USB ports on a notebook before. It occupies 2 of your standard USB ports, but gives you the combined output amperage of both through one port. Only one port is used for data, the other is just tapped into the power supply of the second port. Might be something we could all be interested in soon with the Pro.

***EDIT***

Heres one. http://www.pccables.com/70650.htm
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayziepop View Post
It will depend on what brand of car charger you bought. I have found that most (USB) car chargers are rated the same as a PC USB port, 500mA. You can find in some stores, a high capacity high amp car charger - and most of these put out the 1000mA that your factory wall charger do.

I have also seen a sort of multiplexer for USB ports on a notebook before. It occupies 2 of your standard USB ports, but gives you the combined output amperage of both through one port. Only one port is used for data, the other is just tapped into the power supply of the second port. Might be something we could all be interested in soon with the Pro.

***EDIT***

Heres one. http://www.pccables.com/70650.htm
If I remember correctly, I specifically went for a car charger last time that was supposed to have a much higher output than most, but I honestly don't remember what that was anymore.

As for the two-port USB cable, that sounds logical, and I actually have one from my external hard drive, but it does defeat a little bit of the simplicity. Specifically I had picked up that slick keychain/phone charm device from Brando that's a USB sync/charge cable and microSD card reader in one specifically because I knew I'd need to be able to top off when I got this phone. Worked fine with my Mogul, but doesn't seem to be enough for this one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro