PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2
Carrier: Sprint

mike99 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro

Hello,

Here is just a thought. I am not a PC pro, but here are my observations as well as posts from here and XDA site.

TP uses the same chip set as the older models, such as mogul, tilt ....
There was no lag using previous devices.
The TP GPS position is accurate when stationery or moving slowly.
Lag increases with increasing speed with most apps, including live search, google maps, Sprint TeleNav.
Voice commands are usually very accurate and on time.

The big difference between TP and older devices is the screen. Resolution is much higher, and so it has to process many more pixels.

Could the lag be due to the display delay, not the GPS module.
Can that be solved with better drivers or ported drivers from other devices?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
Hello,

Here is just a thought. I am not a PC pro, but here are my observations as well as posts from here and XDA site.

Lag increases with increasing speed with most apps, including live search, google maps, Sprint TeleNav.

The big difference between TP and older devices is the screen. Resolution is much higher, and so it has to process many more pixels.

Any thoughts?
I know that people have ported or at least tried to port over newer drivers...from what devices I don't know. so far it's not helped or not helped much. I don't think anyone is very clear as to what the problem is exactly although refresh rate has come up and it's related to screen so it very well could be the issue. Is it the GPS chip not refreshing quickly enough or is it the actual screen not refreshing enough.

As you said, same GPS chip but larger screen..the GPS chip was originally designed with a smaller resolution in mind so ... /shrug

Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
Hello,

Any thoughts?
Sprint Navigation is still QVGA So you can throw that out right now.

It's something with the GPS driver...

If you guys wanted to test, you could load up a minimal program like GPSToday, or equivalent, and see if there is still lag. I noticed lag in ALL GPS software--telling me that it's the driver and/or chip.

Good luck! I just hope the Pre doesn't suffer from this--but rumor has it that HTC didn't build it, so it might have a really great build quality/low hardware defect rate.... That will be a blessing...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
I know that people have ported or at least tried to port over newer drivers...from what devices I don't know. so far it's not helped or not helped much. I don't think anyone is very clear as to what the problem is exactly although refresh rate has come up and it's related to screen so it very well could be the issue. Is it the GPS chip not refreshing quickly enough or is it the actual screen not refreshing enough.

As you said, same GPS chip but larger screen..the GPS chip was originally designed with a smaller resolution in mind so ... /shrug

iguidance VGA works flawlessly on my girls diamond, but on my TP the lag is unbearable. I thought the diamond and TP has the same GPS chip? if that is true them someone needs to look at the diamonds GPS drivers and get some porting done.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabru2001 View Post
iguidance VGA works flawlessly on my girls diamond, but on my TP the lag is unbearable. I thought the diamond and TP has the same GPS chip? if that is true them someone needs to look at the diamonds GPS drivers and get some porting done.
I actually tried using a diamond driver that was supplied to me and it was really buggy on the TP, lock ups and major software lag...I had to remove it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

chocmatic is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchocmatic is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchocmatic is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchocmatic is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to chocmatic Send a message via MSN to chocmatic Send a message via Yahoo to chocmatic

I'm using Nav n GO iGo8 and it runs better than my garmin does. There is still a lag, but not as much as with Garmin. If I'm not mistaken if you use a bluetooth gps receiver with the TP there is no lag at all...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
I actually tried using a diamond driver that was supplied to me and it was really buggy on the TP, lock ups and major software lag...I had to remove it.
Then we should suspect that the hardware is different? That is disappointing. The phone that costs more has cheaper hardware that doesn't work. WTG HTC, greedy conniving bastards.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabru2001 View Post
Then we should suspect that the hardware is different? That is disappointing. The phone that costs more has cheaper hardware that doesn't work. WTG HTC, greedy conniving bastards.
This is news?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2

mike99 is just getting started

Well,

I did more experimenting.

Using google maps, I set the GPS management to manual under options. I set COM4 port and tried all baud rates. As the rate went up, the lag decreased. At the rate of 0 (last option down the list), the lag was minimal at 65mph using bridges as points of reference.

Then I went back to TeleNav, and there was no difference. Lag was as bad as before. I opened google maps again, and again the lag was minimal, position detection was more accurate, and my seetings have not changed (still was on manual).

I was wandering if those setting changes applied to google maps only and if there was a way to make them apply to all GPS based programs???

I did notice that downloaded data soared from 100-200 kb at 4800 baud rate to 2000kb at 0.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

I have been reading about this issue before I got my TP and was concerned, however I havent noticed any lag using Mapquest Navigaot 5, could it be the protocol used to pull data is different....mmmm, no clue, but this ihst works fine.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro