PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Same Pop3 E-mail Problem (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41690)

Josedogg54 10-26-2008 07:55 PM

Same Pop3 E-mail Problem

Picked up my Pro this morning at the local Best Buy. Awesome device but still has one problem I can't see to find a solution for. Thats my POP3 e-mail with COX I can't send e-mails just like my mogul could'nt it's the same problem can recive e-mials but can't send them out. I have tired three different outgoing servers such as (smtp.central.cox.net - smtp.east.cox.net - smtp.sprintpcs.com) and none of these work. My blackberry curve sends cox e-mail's just fine on my other line so why can't my $800 phone send a freaking POP3 e-mail.

Sideman7 10-26-2008 08:06 PM

Re: Same Pop3 E-mail Problem

This is not a problem with the phone, it's your settings. You will need to use the smtp.sprintpcs.com, check the box to use authentication, and then enter your sprintpcs username and password in the following boxes.

I have no idea how this will work after they shut down their mail servers (I have Cox too)...

Baffles 10-26-2008 08:11 PM

I am able to use gmail's smtp server just fine, though it is SSL, so it is on a differnet port.

Josedogg54 10-26-2008 08:20 PM

I still can't figure out I need a step by step on this one.

DaPeeps 10-26-2008 08:26 PM

My roomate works for Cox's tech support department, and I remember him telling me last week that Cox has a policy where they do not allow you to send email from outside their network. In other words, if you are not accessing your mail on Cox's internet service, you cannot use their servers. Supposedly its an attempt to stop spam being sent from their servers. He was telling me he got a call from some guy trying to setup his cox email on a blackjack. He had to set him up using the cox pop servers and another smtp server, then set the reply to address as the cox email address.

I KNOW.....this sounds crazy and idiotic.,....but its what he told me. We actually had quite a discussion about it last week, because I think thats just the craziest thing I've ever heard of.

I am going to text him now to verify this.

Sideman7 10-26-2008 08:35 PM

Here goes:
Enter account to edit settings.
Step through the settings until you get to "outgoing mail server"
Enter "smtp.sprintpcs.com" then check "outgoing server requires authorization"
Click "next"
Now on the "outgoing server login" screen: enter username (this is the part before your @sprintpcs.com address)
Enter you sprintpcs.com password

That should be it.

Sideman7 10-26-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsimon1979 (Post 477441)
My roomate works for Cox's tech support department, and I remember him telling me last week that Cox has a policy where they do not allow you to send email from outside their network. In other words, if you are not accessing your mail on Cox's internet service, you cannot use their servers. Supposedly its an attempt to stop spam being sent from their servers. He was telling me he got a call from some guy trying to setup his cox email on a blackjack. He had to set him up using the cox pop servers and another smtp server, then set the reply to address as the cox email address.

I KNOW.....this sounds crazy and idiotic.,....but its what he told me. We actually had quite a discussion about it last week, because I think thats just the craziest thing I've ever heard of.

I am going to text him now to verify this.

This is correct. They could offer an authorized login to send mail, but they don't... Which is a pain, especially if you are traveling with a laptop because you have to change the smtp server for wherever you are connected to send mail...

Josedogg54 10-26-2008 08:39 PM

after SMTP.sprintpcs.com there is no outgoing server login screen just Automatic send/recieve then message format and finsh

Sideman7 10-26-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josedogg54 (Post 477476)
after SMTP.sprintpcs.com there is no outgoing server login screen just Automatic send/recieve then message format and finsh

On the "outgoing (SMTP) mail server" screen make sure the 2nd box ("use the same name and password for sending mail") is UNchecked. this should allow you to enter info on the next screen.

Josedogg54 10-26-2008 08:49 PM

YESSSS I can't believe it the freaking thing sent. Thanks a million SideMan you have no idea how long i've been fighting this stupid cox crap.