PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Lurker

astyrrian is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro Review by a Mogul user

So, here's the low down on the Touch Pro.

I'm blown away by the tiny details on the Touch Pro that I haven't found documented anywhere else.

- The stylus is kept in the silo with a magnet. The phone is aware of when the stylus is removed and can automatically display the 'notes' section while in a call.
- The backlight is automatically controlled (can be turned off).
- The 3.2mp auto focus camera takes significantly better pictures.
- The Touch Pro includes HTC YouTube. HTC YouTube is better than Iphone YouTube. It really is.
- There is a new collection of on screen keyboards that are significantly better than the default Windows Mobile keyboard.
- The accelerometer is a nice addition. It is occasionally buggy, the phone does get confused if you hold it at certain angles - but overall, it is a nice addition. You can hold the phone sideways and browse in Opera without having to open the keyboard.
- The higher resolution VGA screen makes using programs like Remote Desktop (not included) much more pleasant...
- They included enough ram so that you can literally, open almost everything, and it is hardly noticable.
- The backlight fades up/down, and there is a new option so that while the device is 'Locked', the backlight stays faded. That way if it turns on in your pocket, the backlight isn't on full blast and it doesn't kill the battery.
- The annoying Windows Mobile sounds that you've heard for years have been replaced with new sounds that will leaving you wondering 'what was that? did I just get a text message?'...until you re-learn them.
- Added option to Alarms - 'Sound alarms even when the device is set to silent or vibrate'
- The same old Windows Mobile bugs are not fixed. Example: Keyboard buffer lag. I can still type faster than my device can keep up. This doesn't happen all of the time. Just occasionally. Also, the input box for text messages will occasionally render half way off the screen. The only fix I've seen to this is to reboot. These are both bugs on my Mogul.
- Built in Voice Command. I don't really use it, but I'm sure somebody does. I played with it, it recognized my voice well and read things back okay.
- MMS! Finally!
- 'Advanced' phone options 'Reject call with text message', 'Add new phone number to contacts at the end of call', 'Vibrate device when connection is established', 'When a call is connecting, open the notes application when the stylus is pulled out'
- The Mogul has somewhere near 15 buttons on it. This phone has MUCH LESS. For example, on the Mogul there are -3- OK buttons (front, side, and keyboard). There are -NO- OK buttons anywhere on this device. Most buttons have been eliminated. There is no Wi-fi toggle switch, for example. The functionality of most buttons has been replicated through the TouchFlo UI - but I will always miss my Internet/Mail buttons on the top of the Mogul.
- The D-PAD pulsates when you get a new message, and while it is charging (there is a light under it that illuminates around it)..
- When you plug in the phone, it asks if you want it to connect as ACTIVESYNC or as a USB DISK. When you do USB DISK, the microSD card shows up as a removable disk drive on the computer.
- The old "soft reset it after first boot before OEM customization happens' trick doesn't seem to work any more after hard reset. Every time I rebooted mine, it started all over again and I had to go through the initial set up again Is there any way to avoid getting pre-loaded Sprint crap on the phone?

That is my summary after 24 hours of use.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 AM
CyanogenMod
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S IV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to LilRico Send a message via MSN to LilRico
Re: Touch Pro Review by a Mogul user

Pretty good review, but coming from a Mogul, I don't know how people say they will ditch the Pro and stay with the Mogul.... No way!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

I had a Mogul. Got the Diamond.. and just the vga screen makes me wanna vomit when I look at the Mogul again. But now I am waiting for the PRO!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

astyrrian is just getting started

- The phone auto-turns on and even auto-unlocks when the keyboard is slid open. So far, I haven't mistakeningly slid it open in my pocket, but you only need to move it open 1-2cm before it 'unlocks'. If there is one thing Windows Mobile / HTC still haven't figured out, it's "lock/unlock" functionality. Iphone's "Slide to Unlock" is perfect. Slide2Unlock creates display corruption on the Touch Pro.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Banned User

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Funny how some ppl complained how the Mogul had to many bottons on the wrong area. Now.. theres not enough!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Hmm... honestly, after hearing about all the crap I've heard, I'm going to give the device a try... but after hearing that the Touch HD is coming in CDMA form sometime in 09, I think I'm going to have a real dilemma. Lets see if Sprint lets me swap... if they do, I won't worry about it. But if they don't let me swap, I might just deal with the Mogul up til no later than March to see if the HD launches...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Banned User

Damn... I thought the Touch HD wasnot real? I hope it is.. that will be my nnext after the PRO!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...30&postcount=7

Same guy that kept us up on the Raph...
Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...30&postcount=7

Same guy that kept us up on the Raph...
I saw that post... but tis not the PRO HD. Its just like a DIamond but with bog screen. SO no KB
Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*

That's fine with me. If you honestly need a hardware keyboard with a 3.8" screen, you've got issues lol. The screen is bigger than the iPhone's screen!

But yeah, none of HTC's multimedia devices (like the HD) are going to come with a keyboard... and to me, that makes sense. I don't see the need to add the extra bulk when you've got such a large screen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro