PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   If we could add Android on the Pro... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37170)

NetApex 09-12-2008 11:32 AM

If we could add Android on the Pro...

I've seen a few people questioning if they should upgrade their *insert phone model here* to the HTC Touch Pro. Since I am currently rocking the trusty ol' 6700, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. Site the ram, video, internal storage, mini-USB, MMS, TV-Out, gsensor, TouchFlo 3D, camera, Sprint TV, and overall shape for starters. The next question that I can forsee would be "Pro or Dream". Again I have to see the Dream as I saw the 6800... nothing about it seems like it would be worth the upgrade from the Pro. (Understand, this is all speculation as the Dream has yet to see daylight and specifications could very well change.) The main draw of the Dream would be the Android OS. Hardware wise I don't think the Dream will have anything that the Pro does not, plus the Pro has the advantage of already using an OS that has many of my favorite apps already developed. Add to that, people have already begun working on booting Android on "smaller" - read less high tech - phones like the Apache (6700) and the Titan (6800). So it would only make sense to me that the Pro might be my last phone for at least 3 more years. With the inevitable ROM updates, Android being placed on it (speaking hopefully), the gsensor being used for Street view in Google Maps (I can't wait to go rub that into a few faces of phone owners that I know) I can't forsee anything extra in a phone that would be a "must upgrade". Front camera - would be nice, even higher resolution - I am not attaching a PS3 to this or anything!, FM radio - there are programs that let me listen to my XM subscription, and my favorite FM station streams just fine, I do believe with the addition of Android apps, it could actually be the "Everyphone" killer. The next phone to get me this excited will have to come with an AMD quad processor and artificial intelligence. (I wouldn't be shocked if the Dream added those specs before release.)

drexappeal 09-12-2008 03:26 PM

Re: If we could add Android on the Pro...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 412538)
I've seen a few people questioning if they should upgrade their *insert phone model here* to the HTC Touch Pro. Since I am currently rocking the trusty ol' 6700, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. Site the ram, video, internal storage, mini-USB, MMS, TV-Out, gsensor, TouchFlo 3D, camera, Sprint TV, and overall shape for starters. The next question that I can forsee would be "Pro or Dream". Again I have to see the Dream as I saw the 6800... nothing about it seems like it would be worth the upgrade from the Pro. (Understand, this is all speculation as the Dream has yet to see daylight and specifications could very well change.) The main draw of the Dream would be the Android OS. Hardware wise I don't think the Dream will have anything that the Pro does not, plus the Pro has the advantage of already using an OS that has many of my favorite apps already developed. Add to that, people have already begun working on booting Android on "smaller" - read less high tech - phones like the Apache (6700) and the Titan (6800). So it would only make sense to me that the Pro might be my last phone for at least 3 more years. With the inevitable ROM updates, Android being placed on it (speaking hopefully), the gsensor being used for Street view in Google Maps (I can't wait to go rub that into a few faces of phone owners that I know) I can't forsee anything extra in a phone that would be a "must upgrade". Front camera - would be nice, even higher resolution - I am not attaching a PS3 to this or anything!, FM radio - there are programs that let me listen to my XM subscription, and my favorite FM station streams just fine, I do believe with the addition of Android apps, it could actually be the "Everyphone" killer. The next phone to get me this excited will have to come with an AMD quad processor and artificial intelligence. (I wouldn't be shocked if the Dream added those specs before release.)

? Isn't this the HTC Dream to be released on T-Mobile?
http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/giz.../htc-dream.jpg

Speculation is for a 9/23 release, but that may have changed. I had posted pics of the dream on another thread, but one thing (aside from being on T-Mobile) that killed it for me was the fact that it was taller than the iPhone.

NetApex 09-12-2008 05:21 PM

Yeah that's the Dream alright, and indeed it does appear suddenly 100x bigger next to the sleek Pro. I still can not imagine what else I would need from a phone that the Pro wont provide.

NetApex 09-12-2008 05:35 PM

Ok correction... http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ I may "need" to get one of those to completely show off as I video out to a TV or something. (Go big or not at all right?) I mean the Pro already comes with software to let you print to bluetooth printers.

drexappeal 09-12-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 412949)
Ok correction... http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ I may "need" to get one of those to completely show off as I video out to a TV or something. (Go big or not at all right?) I mean the Pro already comes with software to let you print to bluetooth printers.

That is one of the coolest things I've seen! Thanks for the link.

NetApex 09-16-2008 09:40 PM

And HTC proves my point.. http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64790 It looks good, but again, not a reason to upgrade from the Pro in my opinion.

eTiger13 09-17-2008 02:16 PM

i think porting Android to the Touch Pro will be even easier then the work that has gone into porting it to the Vogue as it should share some hardware characteristics of the Dream. We'll see what happens though.

drexappeal 09-17-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eTiger13 (Post 420198)
i think porting Android to the Touch Pro will be even easier then the work that has gone into porting it to the Vogue as it should share some hardware characteristics of the Dream. We'll see what happens though.

I've only been familiar with Android since I joined the forums, so my knowledge of them isn't that great. The main issue of importance for me is being able to sync up my appointments and contacts to my phone without hassle of adding extra stuff to make that happen. If the Android OS will allow for that to happen, great, as long as it is an easy (no thinking for an "average user") process.

Even still, for me, the Dream (I believe the only one mentioned publically to carry android) is too tall for my tastes. It may have less bulk than the Touch Pro, but I'm not willing to sacrifice by adding more height (I put my phone in my pocket, so last thing I want is a phone that'll go all the way to the top of my pocket and be a target for someone pick-pocketing me). Who knows what android phone Sprint will be offering and from what I've read, it's not going to be the Dream.

mokash34 09-18-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 412949)

sweet

drexappeal 09-18-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokash34 (Post 422107)
sweet

I spoke with my cousin about this (he's been in internet marketing for the past 10+ years) and he said it's actually been out for a while, but it's somewhat buggy and they still haven't gotten close to perfecting the technology. Although, I'm definitely for technology advancement, I'm also about functionality...so, for me, this one will have to wait.

darkshadow46236 09-18-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drexappeal (Post 422125)
I spoke with my cousin about this (he's been in internet marketing for the past 10+ years) and he said it's actually been out for a while, but it's somewhat buggy and they still haven't gotten close to perfecting the technology. Although, I'm definitely for technology advancement, I'm also about functionality...so, for me, this one will have to wait.

Yeah, I'd go with a stowaway for now.

For me, the one advantage of Android is the browser. If it's really based of Google Chrome, it's got a chance of being better than Opera 9.5; and that would be nice.

What would really be nice is if it worked with google documents.

NetApex 09-24-2008 11:18 AM

Ok here we go, the G1 (aka - Dream) has been announce. http://www.t-mobileg1.com/default.aspx While it does look very cool and my first response was.. this may be the next phone... it is all OS. The phone itself looks brickish, and imagining the HTC Pro able to do this (which technically it should be able to) is indeed a very happy dream! Compiling Android to take full advantage of the Pro hardware will make an amazing phone even more fun.

drexappeal 09-24-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 431061)
Ok here we go, the G1 (aka - Dream) has been announce. http://www.t-mobileg1.com/default.aspx While it does look very cool and my first response was.. this may be the next phone... it is all OS. The phone itself looks brickish, and imagining the HTC Pro able to do this (which technically it should be able to) is indeed a very happy dream! Compiling Android to take full advantage of the Pro hardware will make an amazing phone even more fun.

The black color being advertised on the news looks much better than the white, but...

Based on the size specs listed on Phone Arena, it's 1 mm less in depth than the Touch Pro, but add the height and width of the iPhone and you get a very "brick like" phone. When people were talking about the Mogul or Touch Pro being a "brick"...this one could define brick.

It is seemingly getting the "hype" of being an iPhone competitor, but unless android provides an "easy learning curve" for the everday consumer, it won't really compete that much. That being said, it could potentially draw the "tech savvy" crowd, but how many "average customers" are really that "tech savvy"? I can definitely see this appealing to females (since they have a purse to carry around the bulky phone). We'll just see who jumps on board with it. One thing is for sure, it could easily make Sprint lose more customers (even with the Touch Pro release only 3 days prior - Tmobile G1 is scheduled for 10/22 release from what I heard in the news).

Anyhow, too big for my tastes, especially if you're adding the similar height and width dimensions as the iPhone.

I'm still on the Touch Pro train! And if the information the one person indicated on another thread about the 10/2/08 date was correct and it can be ordered earlier than anticipated, I'll be all over that!

NetApex 09-24-2008 03:39 PM

Likewise! I am not usually a first day out type of guy. I let the crowd get in and mess things up, then I go once the stock gets replenished or whatever... but this time I am probably going to be one of the "first on the block" people. The G1 seems to big for most people (purses or not). My wife has a Centro and she just thinks it is the "cutest" phone. So I have a hard time seeing a woman with the G1. The Pro on the other hand... black is sliming ya know. Plus it just looks elegant and looks are a big factor to some women when it comes to getting a phone (and face it... 98% of the guys here too want to have a good looking phone... however you define good looking *no external antena is good looking enough for some*). I have been reading a lot of news stories about the G1 and almost all of them are missing the fact that the phone is just a shell, and the OS and the carriers make up a lot of what makes this a revolutionary time. If it wasn't for the crew here and XDA I might be on the G1 train as well. But knowing that the "special" features that the G1 can do are already mostly available in the Pro, and can be emulated (or as I have been hoping, run natively via bootup) makes other phone releases something to smile about. Not a smile because "my phone is better", or "I am so excited to buy this next thing", but I actually smile knowing that somewhere, someone is seeing it and saying, "let's add that software to this HTC phone that is already out." It's the reason I have been able to keep my 6700 for so long.

drexappeal 09-24-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 431580)
Likewise! I am not usually a first day out type of guy. I let the crowd get in and mess things up, then I go once the stock gets replenished or whatever... but this time I am probably going to be one of the "first on the block" people. The G1 seems to big for most people (purses or not). My wife has a Centro and she just thinks it is the "cutest" phone. So I have a hard time seeing a woman with the G1. The Pro on the other hand... black is sliming ya know. Plus it just looks elegant and looks are a big factor to some women when it comes to getting a phone (and face it... 98% of the guys here too want to have a good looking phone... however you define good looking *no external antena is good looking enough for some*). I have been reading a lot of news stories about the G1 and almost all of them are missing the fact that the phone is just a shell, and the OS and the carriers make up a lot of what makes this a revolutionary time. If it wasn't for the crew here and XDA I might be on the G1 train as well. But knowing that the "special" features that the G1 can do are already mostly available in the Pro, and can be emulated (or as I have been hoping, run natively via bootup) makes other phone releases something to smile about. Not a smile because "my phone is better", or "I am so excited to buy this next thing", but I actually smile knowing that somewhere, someone is seeing it and saying, "let's add that software to this HTC phone that is already out." It's the reason I have been able to keep my 6700 for so long.

Thing is, I'm secretly hoping that the G1 is the "new trend" to compete with the iPhone! That just makes it easier for us Touch Pro followers to get a "better deal" on the Touch Pro, just for Sprint to keep "happy customers" and improve their CS! As far as I'm concerned, even though I am very familiar with trends in so many different areas, I try not to go along with them when it comes to tech stuff. The Touch Pro is still the #1 phone for my needs (business, personal, AND "cool factor"), but if the iPhone, G1...even the HD get more popular, I'll actually be happy (cuz Sprint will do everything they can to keep me on board, considering how loyal I've been through the good and bad CS I've experienced).

rileyfreeman 09-28-2008 07:20 PM

why does the OP think the pro has a tv out. that has always been a GSM feature. has anyone received confirmation that the cdma model will feature a tv out also?

cj10488 09-29-2008 12:09 AM

I can confirm that the Pro will have TV-Out. I was talking with the developer and he has been playing with the phone for a lil over a month now dialing it in for Sprint. I asked if the TV-Out was going to be Removed and was told a strict no...

James

rileyfreeman 09-29-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj10488 (Post 438146)
I can confirm that the Pro will have TV-Out. I was talking with the developer and he has been playing with the phone for a lil over a month now dialing it in for Sprint. I asked if the TV-Out was going to be Removed and was told a strict no...

James

hmmm interesting. well thank you for the info. but no offence id be shocked for that. ill believe it when i see it.

telus is scheduled to release it this week. i think wednesday or thursday so ill be picking one up and check if this is a true

cj10488 09-29-2008 12:49 AM

A quote from the Email for a person I know very well that has been spot on about ever Rom Release for both the Mogul and Touch. Just look at my old threads

"Picturemail is also still in scope for HTC Diamond and Touch Pro. We are still planning lots of RAM on both devices and TV out on the Touch Pro."

James

NetApex 12-12-2008 03:37 PM

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/4...htc-touch.html Of course.. until I see it on XDA and here it is far from what I am looking for. (This is just the Touch itself by the way, not the pro... but again, it is *well it should be* possible)

hempy 12-12-2008 05:56 PM

Sweet. I would love to be able to dualboot both... but I think that's asking for a bit much. :)

No1ustad 01-21-2009 04:34 AM

you pretty much can on the vogue, so im not sure why u wouldnt be able to in this situatuon