PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

NetApex is keeping up the good workNetApex is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to NetApex
If we could add Android on the Pro...

I've seen a few people questioning if they should upgrade their *insert phone model here* to the HTC Touch Pro. Since I am currently rocking the trusty ol' 6700, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. Site the ram, video, internal storage, mini-USB, MMS, TV-Out, gsensor, TouchFlo 3D, camera, Sprint TV, and overall shape for starters. The next question that I can forsee would be "Pro or Dream". Again I have to see the Dream as I saw the 6800... nothing about it seems like it would be worth the upgrade from the Pro. (Understand, this is all speculation as the Dream has yet to see daylight and specifications could very well change.) The main draw of the Dream would be the Android OS. Hardware wise I don't think the Dream will have anything that the Pro does not, plus the Pro has the advantage of already using an OS that has many of my favorite apps already developed. Add to that, people have already begun working on booting Android on "smaller" - read less high tech - phones like the Apache (6700) and the Titan (6800). So it would only make sense to me that the Pro might be my last phone for at least 3 more years. With the inevitable ROM updates, Android being placed on it (speaking hopefully), the gsensor being used for Street view in Google Maps (I can't wait to go rub that into a few faces of phone owners that I know) I can't forsee anything extra in a phone that would be a "must upgrade". Front camera - would be nice, even higher resolution - I am not attaching a PS3 to this or anything!, FM radio - there are programs that let me listen to my XM subscription, and my favorite FM station streams just fine, I do believe with the addition of Android apps, it could actually be the "Everyphone" killer. The next phone to get me this excited will have to come with an AMD quad processor and artificial intelligence. (I wouldn't be shocked if the Dream added those specs before release.)
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff
Re: If we could add Android on the Pro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetApex View Post
I've seen a few people questioning if they should upgrade their *insert phone model here* to the HTC Touch Pro. Since I am currently rocking the trusty ol' 6700, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. Site the ram, video, internal storage, mini-USB, MMS, TV-Out, gsensor, TouchFlo 3D, camera, Sprint TV, and overall shape for starters. The next question that I can forsee would be "Pro or Dream". Again I have to see the Dream as I saw the 6800... nothing about it seems like it would be worth the upgrade from the Pro. (Understand, this is all speculation as the Dream has yet to see daylight and specifications could very well change.) The main draw of the Dream would be the Android OS. Hardware wise I don't think the Dream will have anything that the Pro does not, plus the Pro has the advantage of already using an OS that has many of my favorite apps already developed. Add to that, people have already begun working on booting Android on "smaller" - read less high tech - phones like the Apache (6700) and the Titan (6800). So it would only make sense to me that the Pro might be my last phone for at least 3 more years. With the inevitable ROM updates, Android being placed on it (speaking hopefully), the gsensor being used for Street view in Google Maps (I can't wait to go rub that into a few faces of phone owners that I know) I can't forsee anything extra in a phone that would be a "must upgrade". Front camera - would be nice, even higher resolution - I am not attaching a PS3 to this or anything!, FM radio - there are programs that let me listen to my XM subscription, and my favorite FM station streams just fine, I do believe with the addition of Android apps, it could actually be the "Everyphone" killer. The next phone to get me this excited will have to come with an AMD quad processor and artificial intelligence. (I wouldn't be shocked if the Dream added those specs before release.)
? Isn't this the HTC Dream to be released on T-Mobile?

Speculation is for a 9/23 release, but that may have changed. I had posted pics of the dream on another thread, but one thing (aside from being on T-Mobile) that killed it for me was the fact that it was taller than the iPhone.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah that's the Dream alright, and indeed it does appear suddenly 100x bigger next to the sleek Pro. I still can not imagine what else I would need from a phone that the Pro wont provide.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok correction... http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ I may "need" to get one of those to completely show off as I video out to a TV or something. (Go big or not at all right?) I mean the Pro already comes with software to let you print to bluetooth printers.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Ok correction... http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ I may "need" to get one of those to completely show off as I video out to a TV or something. (Go big or not at all right?) I mean the Pro already comes with software to let you print to bluetooth printers.
That is one of the coolest things I've seen! Thanks for the link.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

And HTC proves my point.. http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64790 It looks good, but again, not a reason to upgrade from the Pro in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

eTiger13 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to eTiger13 Send a message via Yahoo to eTiger13

i think porting Android to the Touch Pro will be even easier then the work that has gone into porting it to the Vogue as it should share some hardware characteristics of the Dream. We'll see what happens though.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiger13 View Post
i think porting Android to the Touch Pro will be even easier then the work that has gone into porting it to the Vogue as it should share some hardware characteristics of the Dream. We'll see what happens though.
I've only been familiar with Android since I joined the forums, so my knowledge of them isn't that great. The main issue of importance for me is being able to sync up my appointments and contacts to my phone without hassle of adding extra stuff to make that happen. If the Android OS will allow for that to happen, great, as long as it is an easy (no thinking for an "average user") process.

Even still, for me, the Dream (I believe the only one mentioned publically to carry android) is too tall for my tastes. It may have less bulk than the Touch Pro, but I'm not willing to sacrifice by adding more height (I put my phone in my pocket, so last thing I want is a phone that'll go all the way to the top of my pocket and be a target for someone pick-pocketing me). Who knows what android phone Sprint will be offering and from what I've read, it's not going to be the Dream.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul / 700wx
Carrier: Sprint Sero 500

mokash34 is just getting started

Quote:

sweet
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokash34 View Post
sweet
I spoke with my cousin about this (he's been in internet marketing for the past 10+ years) and he said it's actually been out for a while, but it's somewhat buggy and they still haven't gotten close to perfecting the technology. Although, I'm definitely for technology advancement, I'm also about functionality...so, for me, this one will have to wait.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro