PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Automaton is keeping up the good workAutomaton is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Screen Size

Seeing this next to an iphone still makes the screen look tiny. I wish they would have come out with a windows phone that had a large display like the iphone. Still, I'll most likely be getting a touch pro when it comes out.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Mogul

TyphoidFever is a n00b
Re: Screen Size

screen resolutions are different. touch pro has 640x480, iphone has the 320x240 i believe.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Lawl @ iPhone having 320x240!

320x480 I believe. Its widescreen after all!

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yes it [iPhone] has a 480x320 resolution but it's also the fact that the screen supports 16 Million colors vs. 65,000 on every WM device and it's made of glass not plastic (increases clarity, better brightness).
Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post
Yes it [iPhone] has a 480x320 resolution but it's also the fact that the screen supports 16 Million colors vs. 65,000 on every WM device and it's made of glass not plastic (increases clarity, better brightness).
This has been a big complaint for me, the iphone can handle so many more colors, and it definitely is an advantage... but at the same time, these new devices (x1, touch, touch pro) have insane pixel densities. I really dont know which one wins out.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

The human eye can't even distinguish such high color counts, and the high count just increases RAM usage anyway, so I don't know why some are so concerned about it.

In any case, would be nice to have a 3.x" screen (I'm thinking 3.2" like the Zune would be great), but I'm not too greedy about it as long as the screen it has is clear and easy to see and as long as text isn't microscopic.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Humm, well here I am thinking about a Sony Cliq. That thing was small, but man oh man I could catch the clarity of that screen from a far.. The resolution was awesome.

I am hoping, (and by the looks of the pictures posted of the screen, I can already tell, it's almost like black print on white paper.) the screen resolution will look at least as decent.

Also as a comparison, take an HTC with the standard 240x320 screen size and compare it to let's say some slider Nokia's screen.. You seen text and web browsing on that "smaller" screen? I can say imho it's clearer, more visibly readable..

Now I hope the on screen keyboard matches the resolution and doesn't hog up the viewable area.. Quite annoying not being able to see what you're typing.

My 2c

-CC
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
The human eye can't even distinguish such high color counts, and the high count just increases RAM usage anyway, so I don't know why some are so concerned about it.
I was of this same idea, until I just looked it up to back you up on that statement. I thought we only distinguished 4096 colors, but it seems I am wrong according to this answer;

http://ask.yahoo.com/20041227.html

Dear Yahoo!:

How many colors can the human eye perceive?

Shelby
Seattle, Washington

Dear Shelby:

Color is how our eyes and brain interpret light. Our eyes can only see radiation with a wavelength of 380 nanometers to 740 nanometers. This is called the visible spectrum of light. Sir Issac Newton listed the pure spectral colors we see in light as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

But "Roy G. Biv" isn't the only name in town when it comes to what colors exist. In 1790, researcher Thomas Young said the human eye sees only three colors -- red, blue, and yellow -- and every other color was just a combination of these primary colors. In 1878 Ewald Hering posited a theory of four unique hues of red, green, yellow, and blue, which, when mixed with white or black, represent all the possible colors humans can process. Useful knowledge for painters and printers perhaps, but it doesn't quite answer your question.

The problem is that nobody really knows exactly how many colors the human eye can see. The closest researchers can estimate is millions and millions. Scientific experiments have shown that humans can discriminate between very subtle differences in color, and estimates of the number of colors we can see range as high as 10 million.

Of course, every person's eyes perceive color a bit differently, and every culture has its own names for colors so coming up with an exact number may not be possible.

A different answers;

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_c...an_eye_can_see

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/JenniferLeong.shtml

Last edited by clockcycle; 08-20-2008 at 07:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Almost everything we have printed on paper, even from your computers printer, is "4 color printing"
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Almost everything we have printed on paper, even from your computers printer, is "4 color printing"
not a fair comparison.... the dpi of modern printers is insane and these dots blend together much better.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro