PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

parrott84 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro...Another dissapointment???

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will disappoint, not even close, (here's to hoping it doesn't because I am anticipating this phone more than any other) but here are some thoughts...

I was either talking to someone or reading somewhere online, (don't remember where or I would link to it) and someone mentioned that the Mogul was essentially a WM5 device that had WM6 thrown on it. I thought about that statement for a minute and concluded that it made a lot of sense. We are constantly having memory issues with the device, other than that we love it.

When Vista came out many people bought it with 1GB (heaven forbid!!!) or 2 GB (like me) but really you want more memory than that, now they sell Vista machines with 4 GB. So, in comparison the Mogul is like a computer with Vista and 1GB of memory, which seems about accurate.

With the Touch Pro about to be released, with much more memory than we can imagine having (on our beloved Moguls), will it be enough? The phones should ship with WM6.1, but with WM7 right around the corner per engadget:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...bile-7-phones/

and with our carriers new found love for free upgrades (6.1 anybody?) will our new babies (Touch Pro) have enough memory or will we be still be left wanting?

It seems to me we could have the equivalent of buying an xp machine with 1 or 2GB of memory (thinking that was more than we could imagine) with a free upgrade to Vista as soon as it's released, only to find out that it is painfully inadequate. Could this be the case for us and our soon to be new friend the Touch Pro?

What are your thoughts???

Check out my new site: www.SquawkTalkWireless.com
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634
Re: Touch Pro...Another dissapointment???

I would think you would probably be about right. But I think the problem will be no matter what is released, the power users will always have something they want to improve. With the Mogul, it started with wanting GPS, now that GPS is fixed, users want SprintTV... not to say that they didn't want SprintTV to begin with, just that now that they have GPS, the majority of users have something else to focus on getting. Either way, I think it will be a step up from what we have now as far as the internal parts go, but I think it will be up to communities like these to once again make the device more user friendly so to speak.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrott84 View Post

When Vista came out many people bought it with 1GB (heaven forbid!!!) or 2 GB (like me) but really you want more memory than that, now they sell Vista machines with 4 GB. So, in comparison the Mogul is like a computer with Vista and 1GB of memory, which seems about accurate.
What are your thoughts???
They usually dont have vista x64 though. Any more than 2 gigs really should have the 64 bit version. More than 3 must have it to use the memory beyond 3 gigs at all.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: .
Carrier: .

PdaOd is a n00b

The Engadget preliminary review of the Diamond (I know different phone but they are similar) gave me some concern:

"Talking about user input for a moment, we were bothered with just a hint of lag throughout the system, which made tapping on things and entering text vaguely frustrating. It's possible that HTC could fine-tune this with a future firmware release, but we're guessing that TouchFLO 3D combined with the high resolution are pushing that 528MHz Qualcomm core to its hairy edge."

This is with WM6.1.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Vista runs fine on 2GB, not sure why you guys seem to think otherwise.

As for the Touch Pro, it's 256MB or RAM. That's a HUGE improvement. it will be fine. You could technically run XP on the damn thing.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: "PPCGeeks....I just use Sprint for calls"

chicubs3794 is keeping up the good workchicubs3794 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
You could technically run XP on the damn thing.
lol.
wouldnt that be a treat?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Not really lol. I say technically because XP would run as well on Raphael as WM6 runs on our Titans, meaning we'd need constant memory management.

Not to mention lack of touchscreen support in XP.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Threadstarter

parrott84 is just getting started

I guess what I was trying to say, and maybe I didn't make it obvious enough, is that if we get WM7 are we going to be in the same boat as we are now?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

Seeing as there isnt a phone on the market with as much RAM as the Touch Pro has, i wouldnt sweat it. It probably has that much RAM for a reason.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius85 View Post
It probably has that much RAM for a reason.
I agree. They went FAR beyond what is required, or even desirable, for WM6. I think they clearly have an upgrade in mind somewhere down the road.

Also, while you can run XP acceptably (but as Existentialism said, with the need for some serious memory management) on 256MB of RAM, the reason you'll never be natively running Windows 2000/XP/Vista on one of our handhelds is the non-x86 processor.

Last edited by bedoig; 06-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro