PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Page Plus

bxhxdlsb is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data Plan Ran Out - Error Messages

I have a 20mb plan, and my month of prepaid is about up. When trying to download a picture message or connecting to GPS service, it will not connect. How can i utilize a wifi connection to do these things? Even when i have my data plan back, i'd like to use wifi for things like these. and only use data plan memory when away from wifi hotspots.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Data Plan Ran Out - Error Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxhxdlsb View Post
I have a 20mb plan, and my month of prepaid is about up. When trying to download a picture message or connecting to GPS service, it will not connect. How can i utilize a wifi connection to do these things? Even when i have my data plan back, i'd like to use wifi for things like these. and only use data plan memory when away from wifi hotspots.
Turn on wifi...? I'm not sure what you mean. You should be able to do these things easily over wifi (I do).
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bxhxdlsb is a n00b

That's the thing. I am connected to my home wifi router, and its showing the connection is good. When my data plan had some memory left, i was assuming that it was using the wifi for the internet explorer and for app downloads. But i guess it was using that 20mb at times. Because i have a home router, i thought nothing of the "data plan" because i knew the phone had wifi. however it doesnt seem it works that way.

specifically what im asking i guess is how to setup my phone to use strictly wifi, and also make the internet functions work on my phone when i have no data plan.

thanks for the reply
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bxhxdlsb is a n00b

I was just googling away and i found this solution has worked for me to get my wifi connection actively handling internet explorer and google maps app. However, i still cant send picture messages through MMS form.
Quote:
"Just put the power level to the max
(i.e. go Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wireless LAN -> Power Mode -> slide all the way LEFT to Best Performance)
and all hail ..your problem solved"
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxhxdlsb View Post
I was just googling away and i found this solution has worked for me to get my wifi connection actively handling internet explorer and google maps app. However, i still cant send picture messages through MMS form.
You have to use data for MMS. I don't think you can pipe that thru wifi...

I would just disable the data connection in the connection manager... seems like the simplest solution to me.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bxhxdlsb is a n00b

Yeah that's what ive been doing.
i have an "unlimited MMS" on my monthly plan, yet they say in fine print that MMS utilizes your data plan memory. Kinda lame.

But also, i have this error now: My phone shows 1 unread SMS/MMS message, even though there is nothing in my inbox. The led light does not spin as it would when i have a new msg, also the icon for a new msg does not appear at the taskbar (only when i receive another text mesg).
Is there any way for me to reset this through a registry editor? I'd hate to restore the phones factory settings because of this. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Eek, not a WinMo expert. Search around, I know there's some way to reset the voicemail indicator... I'm sure there's some way to clear that. Plain ole soft reset doesn't resolve it...?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro