PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   possible to use phone as wifi intranet? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142195)

EyeB 03-27-2011 12:58 PM

possible to use phone as wifi intranet?

Lets see if I can explain this enough so it isnt confusing. I know the htc touch pro can connect to a wifi signal and also make one (hotspotting). Is it possible to make a hotspot without it connecting to the "internet". I'd like to get the phone to make a wireless network that other phones can connect to so the phones can send/recieve files without using any data plan. Sort of like computer wireless lan system.

edit: think I mean to say, how do I create an adhoc network? (not sure if term is correct)

Dr.8820 03-27-2011 03:44 PM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

I just tried it on my dead hd2, you need an internet connection to create an ad hoc network.

demonlordoftheround 03-27-2011 07:10 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; FROYO X Build/FROYO X) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You can send files from one phone to another via bluetooth.

EyeB 03-27-2011 07:47 PM

Re: possible to use phone as wifi intranet?

I know, but I was trying to connect multiple phones not just 2.

Since I'm part of a club that goes out to collect plants, we'd like to be able to set up a network where we can use camera phones and gather photos together in a single spot.

Another option is to use a laptop as adhoc but the range wouldnt be far since it'd be stuck near a power supply. Laptop battery wont last as long as phone battery.

Or could we get a couple phones to be wifi repeaters for the laptops adhoc?

EyeB 04-27-2011 12:31 AM

Re: possible to use phone as wifi intranet?

a bit old, but after forgetting about this, I finally figured out how to do this :D

It's pretty nice, and a roundabout way of doing this though. I had to get 2 apps, WMWifirouter and Wifi remote access. I don't know if there are free alternatives but I like these two so I used them.

How I did it was to create a hotspot using wmwifirouter, then I disabled the sprint connection through comm manager. This allowed me to turn phone into a wireless hotspot with no data connections that other people can connect to. Then finally using Wifi remote access, they could upload/download things to phone.

Anyways It's pretty nice when I'm outside and need to share things with a group of people without actually having everyone having a data plan. Planning on maybe getting a solar charger or something and seeing if that works later on so I can not have to carry spare batteries.

It works well in large public areas since we'll always have a "private" network.