PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete Froyo Bundle!!** FRX05 - "Stable" - Camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I was using the wifi tether app i found in market :S I downloaded the wifitether.apk and installed it. Sorry if the name isnt right but thats what it shows up on screen.

Do you know of one that works on sprint network? I'm new to android so don't know much varity of apps or which ones are better
The built-in wifi tethering doesn't work? Don't know why you'd want an app when the functionality is provided in the system .

Before that was working, there were two options. XDAndroid Wifi Tether or 'barnacle' wifi tether (on the Market).

So pick your poison. I've never recommended/used anything other than those three I've listed above.

Also, if you want to do USB tethering, via adb and an app called "EasyTether" (again, on the Market) it's possible.

Update - reminded me to put this info in the FAQ, thanks .

Last edited by arrrghhh; 03-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

by built in, do you mean the portable hotspot under wireless settings? I tried that, it gives me an error when I start it, don't know what error since it just says error under the grayed out portable hotspot checkmark box

Barnacle also didn't work, says something about failed loading drivers. That xdandroid wifi tether didnt have a working link to the kernel to download either.

I can stick with tethering in the windows mobile with wmwifitether I suppose, would have liked to do it in android though
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
by built in, do you mean the portable hotspot under wireless settings? I tried that, it gives me an error when I start it, don't know what error since it just says error under the grayed out portable hotspot checkmark box

Barnacle also didn't work, says something about failed loading drivers. That xdandroid wifi tether didnt have a working link to the kernel to download either.

I can stick with tethering in the windows mobile with wmwifitether I suppose, would have liked to do it in android though
The only link that matters is to the actual Android application, and it works flawlessly - just tried it myself.

I also forget the old RAPH's are on the TI chipset. For whatever reason on this chipset there is a bug - if you enable wifi once and turn it off, you'll never be able to re-enable it until you reboot. Perhaps this is the issue you're running into...

Yes, that is what I mean by built-in tethering. Works flawlessly for me, but we have different hardware, and I alas do not have my old hardware to test on (insurance replacement...)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work

hm, cant figure this out, nothing seems to be working for hotspotting :S

Thanks for your help though, I won't worry too much about hotspotting since I'm just playing with android, I like the Windows Mobile look a bit more with the touch flo design.

Do you happen to know how I can add contacts to phone? I mean without syncing to google account? I want the contacts to be stored on phone only and no where else, when I make a contact it doesnt show up since I have syncing off

Last edited by EyeB; 03-08-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
hm, cant figure this out, nothing seems to be working for hotspotting :S

Thanks for your help though, I won't worry too much about hotspotting since I'm just playing with android, I like the Windows Mobile look a bit more with the touch flo design.

Do you happen to know how I can add contacts to phone? I mean without syncing to google account? I want the contacts to be stored on phone only and no where else, when I make a contact it doesnt show up since I have syncing off
I always sync with my el Goog account, never had an issue... works flawlessly.

If you don't want to sync with the Google account I guess you wouldn't be able to use the Market or anything else, but if you create contacts manually they should stick.

You seem to prefer WinMo... no one is forcing you to Android friend. I much prefer it, but that's personal preference. If you prefer WinMo, stick to it .
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

iiinycboi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

anyone have issues with loading haret.exe then boots into a white screen and hangs forever?

i followed all the instructions and everytime i go and load haret.exe it says booting linux then a white screen follows and hangs there.

i used raph500 startup for my htc touch pro cdma.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiinycboi View Post
anyone have issues with loading haret.exe then boots into a white screen and hangs forever?

i followed all the instructions and everytime i go and load haret.exe it says booting linux then a white screen follows and hangs there.

i used raph500 startup for my htc touch pro cdma.
Hrm... try an older kernel. This new kernel might not play so well with the 500... hardly anyone has that phone, and I get very few people giving feedback on it... so that device has kinda fallen behind, unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

vaughnmr is just getting started

Use Ralph800 for your startup file, if you are on Sprint with a Touch Pro.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo Shift

chokey154 is a n00b
Wink Re: [BUILD] **Complete Froyo Bundle!!** FRX05 - "Stable" - Camera!

Quote:
Try going to contacts->menu button->display options-> under " choose contacts to display" make sure " system group: my contacts" is selected.

I also don't like the fact that Google automatically synchronizes contacts. The first thing I do before adding any contact is download Titanium backup and remove the "contacts sync adapter" (calendar sync adapter may also be removed). This allows you to keep the Google account, without having contacts synchronized.

If you have to manually add your contacts, make sure to go to Menu->import/export and export your contact list to your SD card. Afterwards you can email the file to yourself and be able to access the list as long as you have your email setup.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Thanks chokey, I had that system group turned off as I thought it was part of google syncing it to acc because it shows my contacts in google acc.

edit: as I'm playing with android some more, is there a fix for that wifi issue? I mean one from a few posts above saying how once its turned off it cant be turned on again unless rebooted. Since windows mobile 6.1 doesn't have this problem, can it be fixed on android with drivers or something?

update: still can't get the portable hotspot working but i've pretty much given up on it unless I see someone post how to get it working

Edit: speaker phone doesnt seem to be working either, only like 5-10% louder when using speaker when talkikng to someone

edit again lol: Is there anyway to port swype over to this version of android? I got the swype cab for windows mobile but cant find one for android that works on htc touch pro

Last edited by EyeB; 03-11-2011 at 03:04 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro