PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

chrisf707 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro keyboard not working (lights up, but no input)! PLEASE HELP!?

Hello All,

I have a touch pro, roughly 5-6 months old. The phone has been babied for the most part, has a screen protector and in a case. I have dropped it maybe 2 times, and both time onto carpet. Last week, out of the blue, the keyboard stops working. It still lights up, but the phone does not accept input from it. I have pulled the battery, and used the reset button on the bottom of the phone, and sometime that makes the keyboard work again... but it always stops working withing 2-3 hours. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I am really trying to avoid paying $100 for a new one for this issue. I am thinking it might be a problem with the software? Anyone have any reccomnedation to fully reset the phone?

Thanks in advacne for your time!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jmy72 Send a message via Yahoo to jmy72
Re: Touch Pro keyboard not working (lights up, but no input)! PLEASE HELP!?

I had that problem once, with one of the ROMS that I installed on my phone. I did a Hard Reset. (thats the one that you need to be an octopus to perform. power button, volume down button, Okay button, and reset with the stylus all at he same time) And after I did all that,(and realized that I am actually double jointed) I didnt have the problem anymore.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro
Carrier: SPCS

grant516 is a n00b

This post has come up a dozen times on half a dozen forums.

The Touch Pro Keyboard is very flakey. The Keyboard is covered under Warranty which as of April 09, Sprint honors in store. You do not need TEP for this; nor need to pay anything out of pocket.

Back Up your Touch Pro, bring it to a sprint store, and they will either repair the keyboard or give you a refurbished phone.

I account this issue to the connector between the keyboard and the phone unit overheating; as the phone achieves temperatures that can render other pieces of its hardware unusable. However both HTC and Sprint deny any real product flaw.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff

P.S. If you aint double Jointed you could also try, Clicking on Start, Settings, System, and clicking on ClearStorage. type in 1234 and click yes. that brings it back to factory specs for the most part.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

chrisf707 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy72 View Post
I had that problem once, with one of the ROMS that I installed on my phone. I did a Hard Reset. (thats the one that you need to be an octopus to perform. power button, volume down button, Okay button, and reset with the stylus all at he same time) And after I did all that,(and realized that I am actually double jointed) I didnt have the problem anymore.
Just tried a hard reset and it didnt help. But thanks for the tip.

Last edited by chrisf707; 05-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

It is usually hardware related. A guy had some luck in another thread just like this by taking off battery cover, sliding phone open, and pushing the space bar very hard. He said like you thought it might be too hard. Don't break it, that would be counterproductive, and I am not responsible for what you do to your phone, but another guy tried it on his bad kb phone and he had luck with it also. If mine quits again I'm going to try it.

This may be from phone getting hot. Get a new phone or fix yours as stated above, unlock, and get a radio that doesn't run so hot.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf707 View Post
Just tried a hard reset and it didnt help.
Yea, most people have no luck with a hard reset, or they have luck only to find out it was just working at the time. It will go in and out sometimes.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

chrisf707 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
This post has come up a dozen times on half a dozen forums.

The Touch Pro Keyboard is very flakey. The Keyboard is covered under Warranty which as of April 09, Sprint honors in store. You do not need TEP for this; nor need to pay anything out of pocket.

Back Up your Touch Pro, bring it to a sprint store, and they will either repair the keyboard or give you a refurbished phone.

I account this issue to the connector between the keyboard and the phone unit overheating; as the phone achieves temperatures that can render other pieces of its hardware unusable. However both HTC and Sprint deny any real product flaw.
I just called my local sprint store, and asked them if they can cover/repair the problem. They told me that any warranty on the phone it thru HTC and they do not cover it... FML
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf707 View Post
I just called my local sprint store, and asked them if they can cover/repair the problem. They told me that any warranty on the phone it thru HTC and they do not cover it... FML
Did you try the spacebar fix?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Well there is always the Bully Technique. Go into a Sprint store, (when its really full) and talk to the techs about the keyboard. Explain that it is a known hardware issue, and that you need this rectified. It especially helps if you are one of their "Premier" Customers. If they refuse to help you at first, get Loud enough that all the new customers in the store can hear you, but not Loud or obnoxious enough that they call the police. Exclaim that you are shocked after being a customer for so long that they would treat a customer this way with a known issue. And how you wonder if they would treat someone that has already paid tons of money to them, just how horrible they will treat people that haven't even earned them money yet. If customers start walking out of the store, you have done your job right, and probably will find that they will exchange it for a refurbished model so they don't lose customers that are deciding whether or not to even spend their money. I did this once back when I had a Samsung Instinct. It worked.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro