PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

iamwolverine is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help!!! My screen is out, can someone post screenshots - I need to turn on ActiveSync

So, I have had Active Sync off and selected the option to just use the phone as HD when connected via USB ... but that doesn't give me access to what's stored on the phone itself, only to what's on my microSD card.

That wouldn't be so bad had I not dropped my phone and the screen went out ... the backlight still works (lights up "black") and the touch screen digitizer still works so I can make selections, only problem is I'm blind to what is going on. I've had the phone for a while and not too interested in dishing out the $$ to try and fix it since I plan on upgrading soon, but I would like to get at what's on the phone itself, stuff that wasn't saved on the SD card.

All I have to do is turn on Active Sync and then I should be able to get to everything I need, maybe even use a program like My Mobiler to view the phone's screen on my desktop, but without ActiveSync on I can't do any of that ... so can someone help me figure out how to turn Active Sync back on please?

Is there an easy way to turn ActiveSync back on without seeing the screen options?
If not, maybe even some screenshots of the options screens when you plug the phone in via USB to choose Active Sync or Disk Drive Options? (I'm hoping I can maybe just touch the right spots seeing a picture of the options screens)

Or any other suggestions??

Don't know if it makes much difference, but I am running a stock Sprint Rom.

Please, any help you can provide is most greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by iamwolverine; 09-28-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre
Re: Help!!! My screen is out but I need to turn on ActiveSync

when you have mymobiler on, and you can see your device, you can make changes for what it does when connect to pc. can't recall what activesync does, but wmdc will let you explore device and view files. hope it helps somehow.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

also you can put everything into one file and move to sd card while mymobiler is on and you can see what you are doing on pc.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iamwolverine is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
when you have mymobiler on, and you can see your device, you can make changes for what it does when connect to pc. can't recall what activesync does, but wmdc will let you explore device and view files. hope it helps somehow.

That's part of the problem though, when I run My Mobiler it can't recognize the device cause active sync isn't turned on ... I have to turn on active sync to be able to use My Mobiler to see what's on the screen of my phone on the desktop and I can't turn on active sync without being able to see the screen on the phone ... can someone take some pictures of the options screens that come up when you plug your phone in with usb? or what swipes and finger touches do I have to do to get to those screens? thinking i might be able to do it blindly if I have a reference to go off of :P
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
yay
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 1 and 2

yay is becoming a great contributor
Re: Help!!! My screen is out, can someone post screenshots - I need to turn on Active

Try plugging in the phone to your computer through the usb. Turn on your speakers and listen for the tone that is generated from plugging in. Right when the phone is plugged in and the tone sounds, there is usually a screen that pops up asking how you want to connect to your computer. Try hitting the top/middle portion of your phone. Just tap and wait, don't touch anything else. Open up your my computer folder and wait for the phone to mount. If you see a removable drive, it is still in disk mode. If you see Your phone with the name of you phone, congratulations, you got it into activesync. I am using a custom rom but that is where my active sync is located.
If this area doesn't work, try another area on the screen to tap when you plug in the phone.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iamwolverine is a n00b
Re: Help!!! My screen is out, can someone post screenshots - I need to turn on Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay View Post
Try plugging in the phone to your computer through the usb. Turn on your speakers and listen for the tone that is generated from plugging in. Right when the phone is plugged in and the tone sounds, there is usually a screen that pops up asking how you want to connect to your computer. Try hitting the top/middle portion of your phone. Just tap and wait, don't touch anything else. Open up your my computer folder and wait for the phone to mount. If you see a removable drive, it is still in disk mode. If you see Your phone with the name of you phone, congratulations, you got it into activesync. I am using a custom rom but that is where my active sync is located.
If this area doesn't work, try another area on the screen to tap when you plug in the phone.

Good luck!!!
what's it mean if I don't hear any tones when I plug it in via usb (volume's up of course)? does that mean the options screen isn't coming up?

it still just shows up as a disk drive
Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
yay
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 1 and 2

yay is becoming a great contributor

If you are not hearing the tone, I am going to guess that your phone is not giving you the option of how to connect to your computer and going directly to mounting your phone as a disk drive. Sorry.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Herman)
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon -> AT&T)

Swin is becoming a great contributor

Try unzipping the contents of this attachment to your SD card (so that the folder named 2577 is at the root of the card), and then re-inserting it into your phone.

Then after a minute or two eject the card again and view its contents on computer/other phone. See if the process managed to create a file named "test.txt" with the content "Ha ha" on the storage card.

If so, then you're in good shape and I could write you some actual MortScript to enable ActiveSync (or retrieve your data).

(I had a similar problem in the past and put this together to attempt to fix my problem but my phone was actually locked up and unable to boot far enough, so I haven't actually tested this.)

Good luck with that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2577.zip (83.6 KB, 2 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iamwolverine is a n00b

hmm, well thanks for the help guys ... i finally figured it out. I called HTC directly to see if there were any keyboard shortcuts or something I could use to activate activesync ... short of it is there arent, but the rep was nice enough to walk me through the following steps which did the trick

- So to sum up, if your display goes out but most everything else still works (eg touchscreen and keypad) and you happen to need to re-activate active sync, try this:

(1) Power on phone and let it start up completely
(2) Plug phone in to computer via USB
(3) slide out the keypad so that you get the alternate Home screen
(4) on the touchscreen click on the TOP LEFT corner
(5) on the keypad hit the UP arrow 4 times
(5) on the keypad hit ENTER
(6) on the keypad hit the RIGHT arrow 2 times
(7) on the keypad hit ENTER again
( on the touchscreen click on the BOTTOM LEFT corner area

that should activate active sync and get you back in business ... once I did that I was able to load up My Mobiler and see the phone's screen on my computer, handy piece of software, especially in cases like this.

One last thing to note, I was running a stock rom ... not sure if this would work with some customized roms.

If for some reason the above steps don't work, try replacing left with right in step 4 ... altho i'm pretty sure it was left.

good luck
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro