PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Easier phone to put on Verizon
Alltel 3 37.50%
Sprint 1 12.50%
Are you stupid? Verizon doesn't activate non-Verizon phones anymore! 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

martypng is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easier phone to put on Verizon - Alltel or Sprint?

I am currently a Verizon subscriber and have an HTC Mogul. I am thinking of upgrading to a Touch Pro, but not the gimped Verizon one. If I were to buy a used one, is there any difference between the Alltel and Sprint version in regards to the ease of getting Verizon to activate it on my account?

Also, I might be interested in buying one from someone if they could have it unlocked and ready to go for me. I don't care about custom roms at this point. My main concern is a TP working on Verizon. (with GPS functionality).
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Re: Easier phone to put on Verizon - Alltel or Sprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martypng View Post
I am currently a Verizon subscriber and have an HTC Mogul. I am thinking of upgrading to a Touch Pro, but not the gimped Verizon one. If I were to buy a used one, is there any difference between the Alltel and Sprint version in regards to the ease of getting Verizon to activate it on my account?

Also, I might be interested in buying one from someone if they could have it unlocked and ready to go for me. I don't care about custom roms at this point. My main concern is a TP working on Verizon. (with GPS functionality).
alltel would be easier!! now from my personal experince i have done like 10 sprint phones (legally)! But that was more then a year ago! most time it took no longer then a week

Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

Thursday is keeping up the good workThursday is keeping up the good work

I was with alltel when my area switched over to Verizon. Not sure if this counts, I just did a *228 1 and 2 and my phone never experienced a hiccup. But heck I have no clue which network i'm on, with all this alltel/verizon stuff going on. I never really did anything I just know Verizon's letter head is on top of my bill haha.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

martypng is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
alltel would be easier!! now from my personal experince i have done like 10 sprint phones (legally)! But that was more then a year ago! most time it took no longer then a week
I e-mailed Verizon and told them it was a violation of my contract to not allow a CDMA phone on their network. The support guy responded with
"it is true that both devices are CDMA compatible but because the programming with the chipset is encrypted to only work on Alltel's network, you will not be able to use the device on the Verizon Wireless network. "

In PPCGeek speak, is he referring to the rom/radio? I didn't reply to this e-mail yet.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint BlackBerry 8330 on Boost Mobile w/ Full BIS
Carrier: Boost Mobile/Sprint

SilverSpoonCells is a n00b

That is a lie because they use the same MSL Code as Alltel. Sprint to Verizon on the other hand is a very different story as all sprint phones have a different MSL.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Get a touch pro 2, it is worth the headache of trying to get another phone working. You only have a 10% chance of getting them to add the esn.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

martypng is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Get a touch pro 2, it is worth the headache of trying to get another phone working. You only have a 10% chance of getting them to add the esn.
I'd like a touch pro 2, but am on a tight budget, so a used Touch Pro 1 is the way to go for me. After telling Verizon that I would flash an Alltel phone to Verizon software, they said I could do this, but I have to update my plan to a "Nationwide Family Share" plan. I'm currently trying to find out if I am shooting myself in the foot by changing my plan.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eXcali is keeping up the good workeXcali is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Actually, it's a 0% chance of getting them to add the ESN. I've even implied that I would be going to the phone's carrier as my contract is up in 1 month. I've been told that VZW could be sued if they accept a non-carrier phone... Although with an Alltel phone, the only company that could sue them is themselves.... You will have to find a work around for the ESN issue.... I'm sure Google has plenty of suggestions....

Also, the person who told you that line about changing your plan has no idea what they are saying. I had a Customer Service person tell me they could add my Alltel phone to my VZW account, they transfered me and after talking to 3 different people and getting the issue escalated and waiting 3 days for a call back, I was told "No way possible."

Last edited by eXcali; 05-05-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

They can't be sued for allowing another carrier phone.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

eXcali is keeping up the good workeXcali is keeping up the good work

Quote:
They can't be sued for allowing another carrier phone.
Maybe, maybe not, I just passing along one of the many reasons I've been told. Regardless, you're not getting a non-vzw phone onto their service being straight-forward.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
alltel, flash, sprint, touch pro, verizon