PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Hermann (Alltel) Touch Pro Display Issues (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122346)

mesosparkle 05-24-2010 05:14 PM

Hermann (Alltel) Touch Pro Display Issues

I have an odd issue with my display. At first, I thought my phone was suffering from the "Sleep of Death" problem I've seen. I am using NRG's EnergyRom, the latest 6.1 branch. I rebooted the phone, and all I could see was the backlight from the edges of the screen. So this happens regardless if I'm IN WM or NOT. I can't see the TouchPro BIOS, I can't see the Tri-Color screen for flashing, nothing. So - I began to think that it was a problem with the screen, that it finally failed (three months after the warranty expired of course). But - I turned it off and on several times, and the display lit up again, normally. But if I put the handset to sleep, or it goes to sleep, occasionally the display will cease to function, but the backlight will operate when the power button is pressed.

Here's the strange part.

I'm also playing around with Android 2.1 on this handset. This NEVER EVER Occurs while I'm running Android. When I put the phone to sleep, or it goes to sleep, it shuts off the screen. But whenever I wake it up, it always wakes up, never fails. It works flawlessly - the screen that is - in Android.

I know what you're thinking. Just run Android! I can't, because occasionally, it does crash, and I have to reboot into WM first to get into HaRET and reboot Android. It's a constant problem.

Since my warranty has expired, and it will cost me money to repair it, I got adventurous and tore into it myself, to see if any of the usual suspects were the case - a loose cable, water damage (never dropped it in water..) or corrosion of contact points.. Nothing. I tore everything with a screw off, examined, cleaned, everything. So I assembled it again, and the display was a bit more reliable. But it's back to the same state again - sometimes won't display the screen, but only backlight.

So here's what I do to make it work... I put the handset into Sleep mode, no backlight, then give it a sharp tap on the top of the unit, basically taking the handset in my right hand, slapping the top, back edge of it with my other hand, press the power button and the display appears. (If you've seen Quantum Leap, and see Al smack the Ziggy "remote", that's exactly what I do.) After doing that, the display works! I've been more gentile with it, such as shaking it, or pressing on it, or something, but all that seems to work is a sharp tap on the back. Sometimes, it will display a solid color, usually blue or green, but all I do is press the power off and on and the display works again.

Of course, this isn't good for the handset. But does anyone know what component might be bad? I don't want to spend any money if I don't have to, and if I do, I don't want to spend over $100, as that's what it'll cost to have Asurion fix it. I went the rounds about filing a claim, and they said since the warranty has run out they will charge me no matter what - internal electrical malfunction, or complete loss of the handset - the deductable is 99 dollars.

I have a Verizon TP, but I doubt the parts are interchangeable. And I'm betting if I swap anything out on the mainboard, there goes all my provisioning information too. I was just hoping there was some sort of circuitry that could be replaced. My contract is also up in less than 9 months, and I can't go over to Verizon until then (Alltel getting swallowed up by AT&T in my area and everyone I know is on Verizon).

Does anyone have any repair ideas? I really don't want to dump a hundred into this when I'm about to dump at least a hundred into a brand new Droid Eris or something Android when I move to Verizon...

Thanks everyone!

Adrianh85 05-24-2010 05:16 PM

Re: Hermann (Alltel) Touch Pro Display Issues

ill sell u a tp2 and u wont have to deal with this problem anymore lol