PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hardware Keyboard Stops Working

My Verizon Touch Pro hardware keyboard just randomly stops working at times.

Usually in the middle of an email or text, it just goes dead. Hitting any keys doesn't make the backlight come on either.

Sometimes it comes back on it's own after a while. It always works again after a soft-reset.

I did some searching and saw some issues with S2U2, but I don't use that.

Can't really think of any other software that I recently installed that's causing this. I don't think I've installed anything new since I've noticed this happening.

Could this be a hardware problem and not software? Any ideas what to do?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac
Re: Hardware Keyboard Stops Working

this is for sure a hardware problem. pretty soon its going to get worse. I would call vzw and tell them your problem and they should give you another phone in the mail
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

How could it be a hardware problem if as soon as I reboot the phone, it starts to work again?

Also, I don't think I have any insurance. They'll still replace it for this particular issue?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Senior VIP Member

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

just call them and tell them what is wrong, they will send you a refurbished phone, unless the phone is out of warranty. just call them and see what they say. it wont hurt.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I spoke to Verizon. I'm not under warranty at the moment.

The first thing they wanted to do is a hard reset. I really want no part of that with all I've got installed and such. I have SPB Backup, but I'm not confident that will fully restore me after the hard reset and I really don't want to go through re-installing/re-configuring everything.

Seems like there's a good chance it's a hardware issue anyhow. And if the hard reset does work, then I probably can't restore with SPB anyhow or it'll just put back in the software problem.

I'm pretty sure I didn't install anything or make any recent changes that could cause this.

I'll have to check with my company to see what possible early upgrade options I have. I am due an upgrade in early August, so I might just try to deal with this until then rather than go through a hard reset.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Super Senior VIP Member

Just tell them you already did a hard reset. Hard reset is always there answer and if I know that that wont solve the problem Ill tell them I already did it. Its like if the "Call" button was ripped off the phone and stuck on they would STILL tell me to try a hard reset!! LOL

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro