PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Verizon Touch Pro - ROM Confusion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119501)

JacquesR 04-28-2010 03:54 PM

Verizon Touch Pro - ROM Confusion

Hi Everyone

I have spent many hours, possibly even days in total running through the forums to try get a spotlight onto which ROM is the best for a Verizon TP.

There are many posts, but they are all so old that I am concerned whether they are still relevant.

Is there a "Sticky" somewhere that guides into the right direction that I have just missed, or is there any other advice that anyone can offer.

I am currently using a custom ROM which I got from SSK, but after some more searching I found this forum and it certainly does seem to have a lot more to it, although there is so much information that it feels a little overwhelming.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone here!!! =D>

pimpsuprazx 04-28-2010 05:01 PM

Re: Verizon Touch Pro - ROM Confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquesR (Post 1724568)
Hi Everyone

I have spent many hours, possibly even days in total running through the forums to try get a spotlight onto which ROM is the best for a Verizon TP.

There are many posts, but they are all so old that I am concerned whether they are still relevant.

Is there a "Sticky" somewhere that guides into the right direction that I have just missed, or is there any other advice that anyone can offer.

I am currently using a custom ROM which I got from SSK, but after some more searching I found this forum and it certainly does seem to have a lot more to it, although there is so much information that it feels a little overwhelming.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone here!!! =D>

the issue you will have is that a verizon touch pro is severely gimped because it has a far amount less RAM then every other touch pro, I know this from reading, and owning every variation of the touch pro, if you have found a rom you like you will have to downgrade the pagepool using the roms pagepool changer down to like 4.

hope that helps

JacquesR 04-29-2010 08:37 AM

Yes... I have seen that about the RAM (thanks to the morons at Verizon!!), but now I still don't know what ROM to use on my phone.

I really liked this phone, but now the more I get into it, the less I start to like it - maybe it is just because I have the Verizon version.

pimpsuprazx 04-29-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquesR (Post 1725691)
Yes... I have seen that about the RAM (thanks to the morons at Verizon!!), but now I still don't know what ROM to use on my phone.

I really liked this phone, but now the more I get into it, the less I start to like it - maybe it is just because I have the Verizon version.

like I said before, look around and see which ones interest you instead of letting someone else suggest something and you not end up liking it.

Overmann 04-29-2010 10:51 PM

I would start with a low memory usage ROM.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118668

This one uses far less memory than the 6.5 ROMs, and it still has the awesome YouTube app. Even with the massive 24 MB PP I still have 52-46 MB free RAM to work with.

P.S. Cranking down the Page Pool to 4 MB is suicide for speed. Opera Mobile 10 is a dog at even 12 MB PP. And no, 0 MB PP does not do any better.

drewcam888 04-30-2010 08:56 AM

Use opera mini beta 5 it is so much better and faster than opera mobile. Although he isn't around you can find scrolser roms for your verizon tp.

Overmann 04-30-2010 10:33 AM

I've tried Opera Mini... it has its advantages, but also its disadvantages. Opera Mobile 10 can be better as long as it can render OpenGL and isn't squeezed into an undersized Page Pool. Which, by the way, 16 MB PP is also not enough.