PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Unique Backup question. (TP to TP2) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117145)

Consigliere 04-06-2010 07:12 AM

Unique Backup question. (TP to TP2)

My Touch Pro has always ran very strangely. I'm afraid if I do a complete backup and load it on to a TP2 it will just migrate the problems one phone had to another. For instance the camera takes forever to load, and when it does there is nothing on the screen but you can still take pics. Like you gotta let it warm up for 20 mins to get the camera working properly lol. I have the contacts and texts under control, those can be backed up just fine with seperate backup files I have made. If my Sprite backup files though might cause some problems, I'd at least like to do a partial backup, so I don't carry over any problems, of just a few things that I MUST have backed up.

1) Google maps: Must retain all favorite places and previous searches.
2) Opera 9: Must retain all bookmarks and saved settings etc
3)Sprint Navigation: Must retain all previous "recent" addresses I have gotten directions for.
4) IE: Favorites
5)All settings for contacts: assigned photos, ringer settings and the "favorite people" tab on TF3D etc

I know for a fact when I backed up my TP after it had some repairs and was hard reset, the backup files made it run strange. The camera issue like previously stated, and whenever you plug the power cord in it thinks it's hooked up to a computer and prompts you for activesync or disk drive to be selected.

Basically I'd just be happy to transfer the things I listed, 1-5. The contacts and text messages as they stand shouldn't be a problem. I am switching out my phone later today sometime. As a precaution I've already made a few backups, different ways. I copied the actual folders for google maps, opera etc to my computer. Program files, application data etc.. I also made a couple backups of different variations with PIMbackup. And I also backed up everything with Sprite. I want to make another backup with Sprite too, just not sure what to exclude to ensure no problems are passed on. There are a lot of lil boxes to uncheck.

Hope someone can provide some input on this dilemma I am having. Thanks in advance! :mrgreen::scratch::dontknow:

Adrianh85 04-06-2010 07:28 AM

Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

pm me i might be able to help u! :)

Consigliere 04-06-2010 10:57 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrianh85
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

pm me i might be able to help u! :)

Why only in pm is it a secret? Lol.. Ok I pm'd you. Anyone else that are experienced with selective/custom back ups and know which files need to be copied just to ensure the five things listed above are crossed over and not any bugs? I've been trying to figure this out for quite awhile now, like months lol.. :confused

arrrghhh 04-06-2010 12:51 PM

Re: Unique Backup question. (TP to TP2)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consigliere (Post 1683662)
Why only in pm is it a secret? Lol.. Ok I pm'd you. Anyone else that are experienced with selective/custom back ups and know which files need to be copied just to ensure the five things listed above are crossed over and not any bugs? I've been trying to figure this out for quite awhile now, like months lol.. :confused

Really? Months? For me I sync contacts/calendar with Google, and the rest of the stuff you talked about takes 15 minutes to setup. Not sure what the big deal is...

There are several backup softwares, (SBP backup, PIM backup, etc) some are free most you have to pay for. They all backup things above and beyond just contacts and calendar, but they may not backup all you desire. Look into them, see what will work for you.

Consigliere 04-06-2010 01:09 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Consigliere (Post 1683662)

Really? Months? For me I sync contacts/calendar with Google, and the rest of the stuff you talked about takes 15 minutes to setup. Not sure what the big deal is...

There are several backup softwares, (SBP backup, PIM backup, etc) some are free most you have to pay for. They all backup things above and beyond just contacts and calendar, but they may not backup all you desire. Look into them, see what will work for you.

Yeah I've used Sprite, PIMbackup, microsoft myphone etc.. I know how to backup lol. Ive just been stumped on how to selectively restore only the 5 mentioned things listed in the start of this thread. There are a lot of boxes to check/uncheck. Like system settings and registory stuff. I dont want a full restore cuz I'll just be transfering old headaches to a new phone. :-(

arrrghhh 04-06-2010 05:04 PM

Re: Unique Backup question. (TP to TP2)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consigliere (Post 1683892)
Yeah I've used Sprite, PIMbackup, microsoft myphone etc.. I know how to backup lol. Ive just been stumped on how to selectively restore only the 5 mentioned things listed in the start of this thread. There are a lot of boxes to check/uncheck. Like system settings and registory stuff. I dont want a full restore cuz I'll just be transfering old headaches to a new phone. :-(

Now I can't completely guarantee that you issue will get backed up/restored to the new phone... but I seriously doubt the issues you mentioned are related to anything within the backup of the device.

I would just restore everything you have backed up, and if you start experiencing weird issues hard reset your phone, restore the bare essentials - contacts, txts, etc - no settings or registry entries - and then start over with your customizations. Like I said, unless you have 600+ contacts, all the stuff you talked about shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins to setup.