PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

BrianJ is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Pro is Acting Funny...

It has been running fine til a few days ago, I noticed that when I woke the screen up, it looks like static on the TV (white and black static that is) for half a second then it is fine. Restarted the phone and it worked fine... later I noticed when I turned the phone of a little strip of it stayed on (a line actually about 3/4 way down the screen) for about half a second then off. Another restart, later when I turned the screen off it stayed very very dim, restart again fixed it... see my drift, alot of random screen problems with it turning on and off. Just now my keyboard stopped working and I couldn't clear the new text message. Restart fixed the message but not the keyboard.

This is my second Pro after the keyboard went out on my old Pro about this time last year.

I don't have warranty on it, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Also any use taking it to Sprint? If not I will just have to limp it along til I get a new phone til next Auguest

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AllTel HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

DMWagner is becoming a great contributor
Re: My Pro is Acting Funny...

Take your battery out and pinch your phone in the area of the space bar.

There is a cable under there that comes loose and you most likely can reseat it by pinching your phone.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Are you on a custom ROM? It almost sounds like part of the behavior could be attributed to a bad flash.

If the screen is going out, that wouldn't be terribly difficult to replace. I've done it on a few BlackBerries. There is probably a tear-down guide somewhere on here.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy SIII

fozmsu is keeping up the good workfozmsu is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
It has been running fine til a few days ago, I noticed that when I woke the screen up, it looks like static on the TV (white and black static that is) for half a second then it is fine. Restarted the phone and it worked fine... later I noticed when I turned the phone of a little strip of it stayed on (a line actually about 3/4 way down the screen) for about half a second then off. Another restart, later when I turned the screen off it stayed very very dim, restart again fixed it... see my drift, alot of random screen problems with it turning on and off. Just now my keyboard stopped working and I couldn't clear the new text message. Restart fixed the message but not the keyboard.

This is my second Pro after the keyboard went out on my old Pro about this time last year.

I don't have warranty on it, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Also any use taking it to Sprint? If not I will just have to limp it along til I get a new phone til next Auguest

Thanks,
Brian

You say you're out of warranty, but do you have the insurance? If you do, Sprint will fix or replace it.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BrianJ is a n00b

I am sorry, I meant to say that I don't have insurance on it. I am guessing it is out of warranty and was wondering if it would be worth taking it to Sprint at all if I didn't have warranty?

Oh, no custom Rom, stock sprint rom from the factory with a few mods here and there, nothing major and nothing changed in the last four months.

Brian
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy SIII

fozmsu is keeping up the good workfozmsu is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I am sorry, I meant to say that I don't have insurance on it. I am guessing it is out of warranty and was wondering if it would be worth taking it to Sprint at all if I didn't have warranty?

Oh, no custom Rom, stock sprint rom from the factory with a few mods here and there, nothing major and nothing changed in the last four months.

Brian
It is definitly worth a try to take it in. What's the worst that could happen? All they could do is say no. I would give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BrianJ is a n00b

Okay well the taking the battery out and squeezing it worked well to get my keyboard back working again! As for the other stuff, the phone has just been moody. Like taking a second or two to wake up or a good two seconds to turn off. Pull it out of my pocket 15 minutes later and wakes right up...

Might do a factory reset. I think you can do that on this phone right? Would anyone recommend that? Would doing a full reset mess anything up or open up any other issues? I know I would have to reinstall all of my programs, contacts, and put my music, pictures, all of that stuff back on but that isn't impossible to do.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Okay well the taking the battery out and squeezing it worked well to get my keyboard back working again! As for the other stuff, the phone has just been moody. Like taking a second or two to wake up or a good two seconds to turn off. Pull it out of my pocket 15 minutes later and wakes right up...

Might do a factory reset. I think you can do that on this phone right? Would anyone recommend that? Would doing a full reset mess anything up or open up any other issues? I know I would have to reinstall all of my programs, contacts, and put my music, pictures, all of that stuff back on but that isn't impossible to do.

Thanks,
Brian
Hard reset won't have any negative impact, outside of the time you spend restoring data that you WILL BE BACKING UP (right?).
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AllTel HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

DMWagner is becoming a great contributor

...and make sure to back up the storage card as well. If you have encryption turned on, which you should, all the data on the card will not be readable after a hard reset.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BrianJ is a n00b

Don't have my microSD card encrypted... ummm maybe I should?

Yes I will attempt to back everything up, let me run it by yall to see if I missed anything. SyncMate on my Mac will have all of my contacts and calendar events but just incase I might do a PIM backup to my microSD card of contacts; pictures / music / that sorta media stuff is all already on the SD card... text messages can be wiped... programs, it is just a matter of making a list and reloading them.

Does that cover everything?

Brian

PS: What should I know about encrypting my microSD card? I assume that is what yall are talking about. I am sorry, I am into my phone just not as into as all of yall lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro