PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Page Plus

jivago is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alltel Touch Pro Boot Loop, Unlock Boot Loader?

Sorry if this is a newbie question:

Daughter got scammed on a Craigslist Touch Pro CDMA Alltel. It won't boot, just says Touch Pro for a few seconds then buzzes and reboots. It will do it forever.

If I understand correctly, there a boot loader, then a rom. To do a non-OEM rom, you need to unlock the bootloader.

Figured out how to get into boot loader mode and successfully flashed with latest ROM from HTC. Not clear if I put a new one on or reflashed the same one. No improvement. Now it says RAPH800 SPL-0.40.0000 MicroP-Hermann (etc).

I can't unlock the loader. Tried Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037 and got an error 262. In fact I tried all the others, ReLocker, Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_025_MFG just for the heck of it with the same error.

I'm assuming that if I can unlock it, then put MightyRom or something similar.

Would there be some other issue? Like a hardware problem stopping a preboot hardware test?

Last hint: It won't power on to the SPL when the battery *isn't* in place, power supply on. Nor does the boot loop run with no battery. If it's in boot loader mode, you can pull the battery and it will stay on.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

lol961 is just getting started
Re: Alltel Touch Pro Boot Loop, Unlock Boot Loader?

can you try booting from the sd card. flashing it from the sd card?

^^^ Home Internet.. Wack Upload.

^^^ HTC Touch Pro.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

tank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on reptank001 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Try Flashing the alltel stock rom on the phone from boot loader mode here is the link to the Alltel shipped rom (does not need to be unlocked for this one)http://rapidshare.com/files/27586719...30033_Ship.exe
Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivago View Post
Sorry if this is a newbie question:

Daughter got scammed on a Craigslist Touch Pro CDMA Alltel. It won't boot, just says Touch Pro for a few seconds then buzzes and reboots. It will do it forever.

If I understand correctly, there a boot loader, then a rom. To do a non-OEM rom, you need to unlock the bootloader.

Figured out how to get into boot loader mode and successfully flashed with latest ROM from HTC. Not clear if I put a new one on or reflashed the same one. No improvement. Now it says RAPH800 SPL-0.40.0000 MicroP-Hermann (etc).

I can't unlock the loader. Tried Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037 and got an error 262. In fact I tried all the others, ReLocker, Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_025_MFG just for the heck of it with the same error.

I'm assuming that if I can unlock it, then put MightyRom or something similar.

Would there be some other issue? Like a hardware problem stopping a preboot hardware test?

Last hint: It won't power on to the SPL when the battery *isn't* in place, power supply on. Nor does the boot loop run with no battery. If it's in boot loader mode, you can pull the battery and it will stay on.
you didn't specify which rom from the htc website you flashed. It has to be the alltel one, found here http://www.htc.com/us/support/touch-...tel/downloads/
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jivago is a n00b

I did use the correct file from HTC. Didn't try to do it from an SD card. I'll look into that.

What about unlocking it? That would open the doors to other roms. Don't know phones, but let's suppose that there's a bad application or setting preventing it from booting. Wouldn't flashing the same rom *not* copy over those apps and possibly some settings? Does flashing the same rom blow away every bit of the existing one?

If so, I'm probably screwed. I wanted a different rom thinking it would totally erase what's there with no carry over.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

first lets try getting this thing to boot, period. your best bet is to get it into bootloader with the usb attached so you can try flashing it to a stock rom. it will overwrite anything thats there (corrupted files/settings). if you can get it to boot then your getting somewhere.

after i would try using the sdcard to unlock and flash a different rom.

the 262 error is a connection error. when you try to run the ruu (rom update utility) make sure your sdcard is not in the phone. what happens with alot of people is they leave the sdcard in with the raphimg.nbh file on card. try to flash via usb, and once bootloader loads, the sdcard gets priority.

lastly try to uninstall active sync on your computer and then install the latest version. see if this makes a difference.

last resort, everything can be done from the sdcard (exception is official roms). unlock, rom upgrade (custom rom/dumped official rom), and relock.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jivago is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
first lets try getting this thing to boot, period. your best bet is to get it into bootloader with the usb attached so you can try flashing it to a stock rom. it will overwrite anything thats there (corrupted files/settings). if you can get it to boot then your getting somewhere.
So I did that already, no card. Still won't boot.

-Specific question: Does flashing a stock rom with a stock rom delete any and all settings, apps etc from the phone? Or when you flash over a stock rom with a stock rom, does it retain anything, like settings, apps etc.

That question is a key trouble shooting point.

Quote:
lastly try to uninstall active sync on your computer and then install the latest version. see if this makes a difference.
I have fully updated Win7 Enterprise with fresh, first time install of whatever they call ActiveSync in Win7.

So it seems my choices are:
-rom problem that needs to be entirely erased and started over
-Hardware problem preventing boot.

Since the phone is locked, it must be the stock rom. How do I delete it entirely to start from scratch?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

you don't delete the previous rom, you just flash over it.

once in bootloader, when you plug the usb in, it should read usb at the bottom. from there you should be able to run the ruu to flash it.

when flashing, something things can be retained. but for the most part, nothing contained should mess you up. if is suggested to clear memory after you flash.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jivago is a n00b

Quote:
...when flashing, something things can be retained. but for the most part, nothing contained should mess you up. if is suggested to clear memory after you flash.
So what should I do? It seems you're saying that flashing doesn't entirely remove all settings. What if I want to do that? Start entirely from scratch?

I don't know what's wrong with it. I'm trying to narrow the issues. If I can entirely install the rom from scratch and retain absolutely nothing, then I can eliminate that variable. I'm trying to fix the software, or eliminate it as a variable.

Let's say, I don't get anywhere by flashing stock roms. How do I unlock the boot loader so I can try another rom? Keeping in mind what I tried at the top of this topic.

If it doesn't work on stock roms, why not try another?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

there is no way to wipe the device to start from scratch.

i would say lets skip the stock rom and try another but the issues seems to be that you can't unlock. without unlocking, you can't test out a custom rom.

seeing as you can't get the phone to boot at all to get into the phones memory files, you won't be able to unlock from the memory card (have to put the sspl file on the main memory on your phon).

just for shit and giggles, try updating/reinstalling the windows media device center.

is this an alltell branded device? you could try flashing a sprint rom to see if it takes.

if you can't access the files on the phone from the computer, i'm not sure what else to suggest without playing with it myself.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro