PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: sprint

funperro is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Screen broke, but phone still works. Any way to fix?

My touch pro broke yesterday, and I'm out of warranty (freaking 2 weeks out of warranty... ugh!). I also don't have the phone insurance. Dropped it from a few feet onto a wood floor, and now the screen doesn't work. I can see the backlight is on, but nothing is displayed. The phone actually works... I can receive calls but can't make them because I can't see what is on screen. Maybe this is just a minor problem such as the connector cable from the screen to the board of the phone got jarred loose... not sure. At any rate, has anyone seen this problem before and fixed it? Again, my phone is out of warranty so at this point I've got nothing to lose by cracking it open.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC PRO
Carrier: Sprint

hassanjanjua2002 is a n00b
Re: Screen broke, but phone still works. Any way to fix?

I kinda have the same problems since i dropped my phone and it cracked, but recently it would go black with the backlight on but nothing showing. It goes in and out of this. Right now screen in on .
Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

gslonacher is a n00b

Mine did that after a week. I had to send it back.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Always get insurance!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

LoneSnark is keeping up the good workLoneSnark is keeping up the good work

I scratched my screen really bad about three months ago. I was able to buy a replacement screen off E-Bay for $30. It was a pain to install since many of the steps of dis-assembly are not obvious. But, it was definitely worth it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

studentjunk is keeping up the good workstudentjunk is keeping up the good work

I would consider taking it to a sprint repair center. As far as making calls, have you tried using voice command (assuming it is installed). Also, if you you can use mymobiler to look at screen if you need to do stuff on it to back it up. I wouldn't recommend flashing or hard reseting it because almost all of the time you will need to calibrate the digitizer on startup, which is nearly impossible to do without a screen.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if you have insurance let sprint fix for you. otherwise your best bet is to replace the screen or the phone. screens and digitalizers can be found on ebay though not always cheap. sometimes it is easier to pick up a good tp in used condition than try to replace the screen and digitalizer.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

dedi2034 is becoming a great contributor

[QUOTE=funperro;1564559]My touch pro broke yesterday, and I'm out of warranty (freaking 2 weeks out of warranty... ugh!). I also don't have the phone insurance. Dropped it from a few feet onto a wood floor, and now the screen doesn't work. I can see the backlight is on, but nothing is displayed. The phone actually works... I can receive calls but can't make them because I can't see what is on screen. Maybe this is just a minor problem such as the connector cable from the screen to the board of the phone got jarred loose... not sure. At any rate, has anyone seen this problem before and fixed it? Again, my phone is out of warranty so at this point I've got nothing to lose by cracking it open.

Mine did this on thanksgiving day, and that was 4 days after warrenty. They canceled my insurance because i had 2 claims within a 12 month period and didn"t know. I ended up adding a line to get the Imagio, and then I am canceling one line next month. But i sent it in to PDC or what ever its called, the place for out of warranty repairs, and they wont touch it because i had a cooked rom on it. They are sending it back. So is there nothing i can do to fix this myself? I tried putting the original rom on it before i sent it in, but of course you cant see the screen to do that.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

lucky there isn't much to going back to a stock rom. as long as the phone can connect to the computer you can pretty much guess the rest.

plug it in, use the computer to put the phone in bootloader and run the ruu. once it's finished, your back on a stock rom. don't worry about configuring it. won't matter for a repair.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

dedi2034 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
lucky there isn't much to going back to a stock rom. as long as the phone can connect to the computer you can pretty much guess the rest.

plug it in, use the computer to put the phone in bootloader and run the ruu. once it's finished, your back on a stock rom. don't worry about configuring it. won't matter for a repair.
Is there any program i can use to see the screen on the computer? Or because of the screen not working, only the back light, am i sol?
And also....if i go back to stock rom, i wonder if they will fix it because it was already there and they know it was a cooked rom....lol. Guess that would be a question for that company huh. and what is my chances of getting the stock rom back on it that that will fix it?

Last edited by dedi2034; 02-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro