PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wifi router wep

so most if not all custom roms have wifi router installed and they all require a 10 number key. why? you have to be fairly close to the phone to use it and they require it. can't get around it. i don't need or want encription for ease of use. i know wmwifirouter can get around it but if there is one preinstalled i would rather use it. i guess i just don't see the logic.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: wifi router wep

thats just how it was created.. its 1234567890 by default.. it saves it for you anyways... why are you complaining about 2 extra taps on a soft key... it got you FREE wifi didnt it??

cant please everyone i guess
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

you got your device to be a wifi router, your at train/subway station, 456 people there looking for wifi while they wait for their ride. you want to provide that wifi for everyone and thier mom? wep encryption or not, your phone can't handle that much, i use the key code, name only for me and set the key for 4.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Almost a VIP

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

also at home when i turn wifi on the pc, i get 5 neighbors at least sending a wifi signal. that is 5 peeps looking for a wifi signal on remote device. if you pay for highspeed net, and a wifi router, do you want anyone in a 1500 foot area to use it for free? sucking your bandwidth, taping into your system. PROTECTION, it's like a condem, lil protection goes long way. beats child support (credit fraud) til you die.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Jitterbug
Carrier: US Cellular

titaniumgiant is becoming a great contributor

wow....do you live without the front door to your house too? sheesh lol
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/EVO 4G
Carrier: The NOW Network!!

LayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to LayLay

I think he got the point now. Wifi router once it's set up then you shouldn't have to worry about it the next time.
" for hitting the Button!"
Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumgiant View Post
wow....do you live without the front door to your house too? sheesh lol
who? me?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/EVO 4G
Carrier: The NOW Network!!

LayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to LayLay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
who? me?
I think that was directed to the OP.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero
Threadstarter

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ok sorry guys, didn;t get to write back lastnight.

i rarely find myself in a crowded enough place to worry about someone using my wifi. i know this was made for everyone, not just us that don't have to worry about it but thats why i'm confused that it doesn't have the option to turn off the wep.

those 5 neighbors you can see when you turn your wifi on, those are people broadcasting not poeple looking for open networks.

and your right, it's not difficult to setup and it saves the settings for you, but whenever i use a different computer (somewhat often) i have to set it up on each computer. every time i flash a new rom (still finding the right one) i have to reset it up for the phone and computers. and i don't know about you guys but i can crack a wep encription pretty quick these days.

honestly it wouldn't be that big of a deal but it requires a 10 digit key. no more no less. just seems odd i guess. i'm not complaining, just wondering if there was a reason behind this or a way to change it.

lol yes i have a front door, but when i'm home, that is usually unlocked too.

maybe i just have too many computers i need to switch between. i usually use the wifi for work when i am out of the office. absolutely love the feature. making my life alot easier. and i like not having to HAVE to have a cable hooked between the phone and computer.

thanks for the input guys!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro