PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   PIE works by Skyfire won't connect Metro PCS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105487)

nila@ufl.edu 01-09-2010 05:53 PM

PIE works by Skyfire won't connect Metro PCS

Hey Guys,

I got internet working on PIE and google maps, etc, but for some reason Skyfire shows "network unavailable". I've tried swiching work network to the metropcs connection for programs that authenticate using a private network, but not go. Any ideas? Thanks.

pimpsuprazx 01-09-2010 08:37 PM

Re: PIE works by Skyfire won't connect Metro PCS

Quote:

Originally Posted by nila@ufl.edu (Post 1474446)
Hey Guys,

I got internet working on PIE and google maps, etc, but for some reason Skyfire shows "network unavailable". I've tried swiching work network to the metropcs connection for programs that authenticate using a private network, but not go. Any ideas? Thanks.

it used to work on metro, ever since they got the samsung code on metro, it stopped working, why, I'm not sure.

SeanNoxious 04-06-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1474816)
it used to work on metro, ever since they got the samsung code on metro, it stopped working, why, I'm not sure.

Sorry for the late bump but it's better than making a new thread for the same issue.

I have a handful of apps on my metro touch pro that don't work i have yet to find an instant messenger or email client that works (I'm on the 40 plan) believe me when i say i have the settings for mail set right. I have ran through a million guides set up my tp the same exact settings as outlook on my pc that successfully connects to my gmail. Could this be a result of that issue? It seems that these apps don't even make an attempt to connect to the data connection though. Is there some setting to tell the tp to use a specific internet modem for apps?

TLDR: Handful of apps refuse to connect to metro data. Is there a setting or menu to make sure they are dialing the right modem? Is it metro blocking me?

arrrghhh 04-06-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanNoxious (Post 1684495)
TLDR: Handful of apps refuse to connect to metro data. Is there a setting or menu to make sure they are dialing the right modem? Is it metro blocking me?

Definitely seems like MetroPCS is blocking you. Not sure why, but that does seem to be the case. The OP stated that PIE works, Skyfire doesn't. Definitely sounds carrier related... although I've never heard of a carrier blocking a browser. Not even sure *how*, but then again I don't work for any providers.

There shouldn't be anything special you have to do to get the app to "see" the data cxn, if you have a data cxn (be it wifi or cell-based) the app should be able to "see" that thru the OS and just access it.

A good test would be to turn off the cell-based cxn and test with a wifi cxn. If it works on wifi but not on the cell cxn, then there's something up with that cell cxn.

pimpsuprazx 04-06-2010 09:25 PM

No one is being blocked, from my understanding, skyfire will no longer connect through a proxy server.

arrrghhh 04-07-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1684804)
No one is being blocked, from my understanding, skyfire will no longer connect through a proxy server.

Ah, I didn't realize MetroPCS forced a proxy server on their users, my mistake.

midnclb 04-07-2010 01:12 PM

im sorry i do realize this topic its about skyfire, but i just realize that the myspace app for windows mobile is not working at all on metropcs it just won't connect any more, and as for an instant messenger im currently using ebuddy java version its not so great but at least the connection works.

arrrghhh 04-07-2010 01:18 PM

And you're able to pipe all of these apps thru the MetroPCS proxy? That seems to be the issue people are having.

ozlo 04-07-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnclb (Post 1685837)
im sorry i do realize this topic its about skyfire, but i just realize that the myspace app for windows mobile is not working at all on metropcs it just won't connect any more, and as for an instant messenger im currently using ebuddy java version its not so great but at least the connection works.

I too have noticed some apps stopped working properly and browsing became VERY SLOW (as if packets keep dropping) on Metro as of Easter weekend. I did upgrade the ROM just before that weekend, but all connections and apps were working normally for a day.
I believe Metro is either blocking apps or having a major network problem!
](*,)

SeanNoxious 04-08-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1684804)

So you know of people having access to email on metro touch pros but not having the email on their plan? I have mimicked my tp settings to outlook perfectly and ran through gmail tutorials normal user tutorials but absolutely can not get my email to work. I have been told that the extra 5 dollars does not restrict pop or imap but just the use of their apps. That is what i meant by metro blocking connections to data. Skyfire just didn't work and i didn't concern myself with it lol. Opera 9 works perfect i can get opera 10 to work but as soon as i soft reset that hoe shits out on me.

TLDR: Does email work on metro on the 40 dollar plan. (The one that is not supposed to have email)